U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 13,322 times

Advertisements

My grandson is 7 and diagnosed with Asperger's. We are searching for a public school situation for him that will make for a happier and more productive environment than the one he is presently in in Mississippi. I have heard excellent things about Shreveport magnet schools for special needs kids. Any input?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 08:15 PM

3,044 posts, read 7,581,600 times
Yes I have heard the same but no details. If I hear something definite I'll let you know for sure. Maybe some of our locals can chime in.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 PM

772 posts, read 4,246,117 times
Wow ... second post in a couple days about Asperger's! I have Asperger's, but unfortunately I didn't know I was on the autism spectrum until I was an adult so I didn't get the appropriate education for my needs, so I can't be of much help. I must say, however, that I don't know if any school is particularly good for an Aspie child, as I absolutely dreaded school and I know I would have hated a magnet school or a private school just as much as public school, if not more.

School sucks for socially challenged kids. And even worse than the social problems, when you have the learning disabilities and quirks (FARKING QUIRKS!!!) that also come with Asperger's, it makes things even worse.

If you are looking in the Shreveport area, I would call or email the Shreveport chapter of the Autism Society of America (Google it, it's easy to find) and ask what they recommend in Shreveport-Bossier as far as special needs schooling for an Aspie child. And by all means, let me know as well because I fear that, if [God forbid] I ever reproduce, I will need to know where to send my child.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:19 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,316,334 times
Smile aspergers

Are there any other parents out there in Louisiana with children with AS? If you want contact me so we can chat or something needing lots of help to see if maybe I am just crazy or does everyone else go through the same things! Thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 10:51 PM

I know Farmerville schools are bad because I can not get him help I have tried! And yes my second post! I am trying ti find out as much as I can to get him help you would do it for your kids too! I am trying to contact the governor to see what can be done about AS children and schools! Yall keep me informed on what you find out too!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:40 AM

32 posts, read 156,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
Are there any other parents out there in Louisiana with children with AS? If you want contact me so we can chat or something needing lots of help to see if maybe I am just crazy or does everyone else go through the same things! Thanks
I'm a high functioning adult and while I don't have children, I'd be happy to see if I can offer advice or understanding if you'd like.

Either way, hang in there kitten.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBunster View Post
I'm a high functioning adult and while I don't have children, I'd be happy to see if I can offer advice or understanding if you'd like.

Either way, hang in there kitten.
Do you have Asperger's (officially) or HFA? I am atypical Asperger's, would be HFA but for a couple of minor details that made my psychologist uncomfortable labeling me HFA.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:04 PM

32 posts, read 156,449 times
From what I understand, there is considerable overlap - some health care professionals see them as the same diagnosis. My doc lumped them together.

I haven't spent a lot of time mulling over the diagnosis... I'm still me as I always have been, what ever label I am to others really doesn't mean much to me.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBunster View Post
From what I understand, there is considerable overlap - some health care professionals see them as the same diagnosis. My doc lumped them together.

I haven't spent a lot of time mulling over the diagnosis... I'm still me as I always have been, what ever label I am to others really doesn't mean much to me.
Yeah, there is a lot of overlap. Some doctors see them as the same, others don't. From all my research, I would agree that they are very much the same with very minor differences. Sorry, this is my current obsession. For the past year I've been obsessed with AS, HFA, and the other ASDs. I just really like finding other people on the spectrum because it makes me feel less different. And it amazes me how often I DO meet others on the spectrum.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Yeah, there is a lot of overlap. Some doctors see them as the same, others don't. From all my research, I would agree that they are very much the same with very minor differences. Sorry, this is my current obsession. For the past year I've been obsessed with AS, HFA, and the other ASDs. I just really like finding other people on the spectrum because it makes me feel less different. And it amazes me how often I DO meet others on the spectrum.
Ok I do not mean to sound dumb but what do yall mean by overlapping? I am still learning this and just want as much info as possible I want to help him try to beat it or at least control it better last night we had a bad night with his fits and yelling screaming
And got a knife and acted like he would kill himself just because my other kids would not be just totally quiet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City