Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 PM

12 posts, read 47,103 times

Advertisements

To SBCmetroguy:
Thanks for the reply. For some reason there is not a lot of info out there about South Bossier. Do you know anything about the reputations of Airline HS and Parkway HS? I am looking for a school with strong academics, sports, and very importantly a great BAND program. It seems a tad cheaper to live in North Bossier (a plus), but Parkway seems to have slightly (very slightly) better numbers as far as test scores and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:19 PM

12 posts, read 47,103 times
Default one more thing...

One more thing...I have to move to Bossier City (military) and you guys are scaring the crap out of me with the negativity. Can anyone shed some positive light on living in the Shreveport/Bossier area? Will my family be in any real danger just by living in Bossier City? I presently live near Montgomery, AL, and you have to be in the wrong place to become a victim of a random killing, and most murders are domestic murders. Most assaults are acquaintance assaults. When I compared Montgomery to Shreveport on best places to live, they ranked the same as far as crime is concerned. So I guess my question is, are you guys talking about random crimes or domestic crimes? Do you folks in Shreveport really hear gunfire at night or did you hear it once and now have a good story to tell? I'm not moving my children to Bossier if they are going to be in danger (I even read about crips and bloods on this website...are you kidding???? Do the high schools in Bossier have gang activity???? I have good kids who I will never subject to that kind of environment).

Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 PM

369 posts, read 1,639,017 times
I'm the first to admit that I don't really care for Shreveport that much, but honestly, it doesn't look that trashy in that video. Maybe a little plain, but not really trashy.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,239 times
High schools in Bossier have some gang activity, but that would be mostly confined to Bossier High School. Airline has a small amount of what I consider "wannabe" gang activity, and is absolutely nothing to get concerned about. Parkway likely has the same time of issue, just a bunch of kids who think they're in a gang.

Shreveport public schools would be the schools to avoid, not Bossier.

Your violent crimes here are not usually random, and when they are, they still are confined mostly to rough areas. Overall crime is not a problem... people blow it out of proportion, I assure you.

In my old neighborhood I heard gunfire sometimes, and when I moved to an apartment in Shreveport I rarely ever heard it. There was a bad neighborhood a couple miles down the road and it is extremely violent, but that crime seldom spilled over. Stay out of the ghettos, like in any other city, and you'll be fine. I have lived in this area for most of my 28 years and the only crimes I've been victimized by were crimes that were brought on by the rough lifestyle I lived as a teenager.

You'll be fine, I assure you... breathe a big sigh of relief and get back to business.

And in reference to the post above, keep in mind that this area is not for everyone. On the military base you hear some people who like it and some who don't. I often criticize those who do not like this area by saying they either don't know how to have a good time or don't know where to go... but the fact is, until you're here you won't know if you like it or not. I personally love it here, and a lot of people have decided to come home recently after leaving for greener pastures througout the 1980s... but again, there will be those who absolutely will not come back.

I still say, though, that it is what you make of it. If you try to enjoy it you likely will. If you don't, you will not. Just get off the base from time to time and take in the sights. It may not be the greatest city with tons to do, but there is plenty to do if you look around.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:27 AM

12 posts, read 64,573 times
Dont move here if you dont have to.
I have no choice but to live here for the next 2 years but if you dont have to please spare yourself the misery and dont move to Shreveport
Shreveport is very Trashy.
Not bashing just honesty

Old 02-28-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa View Post
Dont move here if you dont have to.
I have no choice but to live here for the next 2 years but if you dont have to please spare yourself the misery and dont move to Shreveport
Shreveport is very Trashy.
Not bashing just honesty
As you've even admitted to me, it's all a matter of perspective. You're used to Houston (which has trashy areas as well) and comparing Shreveport to it. Shreveport isn't and never will be Houston. There are pros and cons with that, though.

But still, it's a matter of perspective on what a person considers trashy. Downtown Shreveport is quite nice and entertaining for a city this size. Again, it's not Houston...

Last edited by SBCmetroguy; 02-28-2008 at 03:22 PM..

Old 02-28-2008, 02:49 PM

Yes it is a matter of perspective but he said that he viewed the videos and thought it looked trashy. I am just affirming that it is indeed trashy!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa View Post
Yes it is a matter of perspective but he said that he viewed the videos and thought it looked trashy. I am just affirming that it is indeed trashy!
But you're affirming that you think it's trashy, when in fact the entire area is not trashy. You surely don't believe that Spring Lake, Eastridge, Ellerbe, South Highlands, Provenance, etc are trashy. If you can honestly tell me you think those areas are trashy then I will know for a fact that you are here for no purpose other than to be a forum troll.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:50 PM

Even if there are a few nice pockets the bad outweighs the good as a whole.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:07 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Myssa, I think you've made your point about Shreveport...you don't like it. Okey-dokey - but are you getting that this is someone's HOME that you're talking about? You've called it stinky and trashy and downgraded everything about the area. I find it difficult to believe there isn't one good thing to say...other than it ain't Chicago or Houston or some other place you like more. This is where people live and love and work and play. Please don't talk about their home like it's some third world ghetto.

From my little window on the world, it looks like you have an agenda. If you're "stuck" in Shreveport two more years, my friendly suggestion would be to make the best of it and find something positive. You'll only make yourself miserable with such negative thoughts, and that's two years of your life you won't get back. Take it from someone who is obviously way older than you...there's something positive in everything, and giving over two years of your life to misery is NOT what you want to be doing. You will regret it in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City