Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,041 times

Advertisements

I'm 29 and moving to Shreveport from Cincinnati. I've never visited before, and I'm looking for a nice apartment in an old Victorian home. Is it possible to find something like this within walking distance of stores and cafes? Please advise!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 07:00 PM

81 posts, read 295,108 times
There aren't many old victorian homes left, and those which remain are either being used as restaurants, offices, etc or are being remodeled after years of sitting empty and in disrepair. I doubt any of them are being used as apartments. There are some old homes in the Highland area in the Craftsman and Bungalow architectural styles that are being used as apartments, especially in the area around Centenary College, and are near stores, cafes, restaurants, etc. Look into Highland, Glenwood, etc.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:19 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,978 times
Be careful. That's the type of apartment I wanted before I moved to Shreveport, but the few I saw were infested with roaches and/or rats. I wouldn't rent anything you haven't inspected thoroughly. Also most of these type homes are next to some very bad neighborhoods, so check that out also.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:59 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,856 times
Haha walking distance of stores and cafes, in Shreveport... Again, haha...

The best area to look for the type of home that you are looking for would be Highland/South Highland, from Stoner Ave on the north down to Southfield on the south, between I-49 and Youree. However, most of these homes are not divided out as apartments, they are just single family homes.

And nothing in Shreveport is within walking distance of anything. Even the stuff that is in walking distance, no one walks to.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:27 AM

81 posts, read 295,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Even the stuff that is in walking distance, no one walks to.
Good point. This is the south, people like their big-ass trucks and SUVs. In the Centenary area I see people walking around a lot, which is why I mentioned that general area. There are stores and cafes over there within walking distance of homes, so if someone wanted to do this, the opportunity exists there. The same goes for the Glenwood area around Byrd High School.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:42 AM

378 posts, read 1,206,978 times
Way back when, I did see an apartment complex, that looked like it was kept up, close to a bayou and the public library and ONE restaurant. Seemed like it was off Reilly Lane? It was definately east of Broadmoor Subdivision. If I find the name of apartments I'll post it. That's where I always said I would live if I move back there (not likely ).

I liked where I ended up living, but I always felt pretty far removed from much that was going on around town. Seemed like 20 minutes to get anywhere. And if my old apartment manager no longer is there, I bet the complex went down quickly. She didn't put up with any nonsense. It was Mansfield Road and Baird Rd area, anyone interested feel free to DM me.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:50 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
If you're expecting quaint, southern charm in Shreveport...you're not going to find it here. The older neighborhoods that have anything for rent in older, semi-historic homes are ratholes. Shreveport has more than it's share of slumlords who've bought older homes, chopped them into duplexes & triplexs and barely keep them looking decent. Many of the historic neighborhoods have lost their charm and with crime being an issue, you'd be better off living somewhere newer and nicer.

If you're moving here I'd recommend looking at Bossier. Yes it's cookie-cutter in many instances and lacks any sort of charm. But it's a bedroom community of sorts with better police protection and less crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
View detailed profiles of: