Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM

87 posts, read 358,151 times

Advertisements

My daughter starts her new job at Barksdale AFB in late August and is looking for an apartment in the Shreveport/Bossier City area.

Right now, she's looking at two places. I think both are in Shreveport.

What are your impressions of the Willows and Spring Ridge Apartment complexes? Are they in good neighborhoods? Are they within easy commuting distance to the AFB?

As always, TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 07:08 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
I can tell you about the Willows-they seem nice quiet secluded; however, there was a murder sometime in the last few years. I don't remmember the circumstances. I couldn't tell you anything about Spring Ridge because I've never heard of that one.

Go on down to the Champion Lake or Island park apts for a better place. Avoid the Pier/Landing. It looks ok from the outside but it isn't.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 PM

81 posts, read 295,089 times
Yeah the Pier/Landing was the site of a drug-related "hit" a few years ago where 4 men were murdered in two different apartments during the daytime.

If your daughter will be working on the base, then she need look no further than Lexington Place Apartments, which are located literally right off the North Gate of the base. She could walk right over to the North Gate checkpoint if she wanted, and to the 8th Air Force Museum from her apartment. They are only 4-5 years old, very nice, and priced within the price range of most other newer apartment complexes in this area.

Last edited by urbanexplorer2009; 06-22-2009 at 11:45 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 05:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanexplorer2009 View Post
Yeah the Pier/Landing was the site of a drug-related "hit" a few years ago where 4 men were murdered in two different apartments during the daytime.

If your daughter will be working on the base, then she need look no further than Lexington Place Apartments, which are located literally right off the North Gate of the base. She could walk right over to the North Gate checkpoint if she wanted, and to the 8th Air Force Museum from her apartment. They are only 4-5 years old, very nice, and priced within the price range of most other newer apartment complexes in this area.
Yeah, I forgot about that complex. Good advice, Urbanexplorer!

Old 06-25-2009, 03:42 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,253 times
Spring Ridge is a new complex on the south side. I think the comute would get old going back and forth to the base. We just moved from the Reserve Apartments. They were nice at first but then it hit the fan. The management allowed undesirables to move in AND when we complained they said they would take care of it, but never did.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:16 PM

19 posts, read 81,098 times
My fiance has lived at The Willows for about 8 months, and I loved it so much I just rented a place there too. They are located in Shreve City about a mile from BAFB - right across the S'port/Barksdale bridge probably 2 or 3 minute commute; in fact, many tenants are military. Very nice community in a small neighborhood, quiet, good mix of younger and older folks. 2 pools, gym, walking trails, located on a dead end road so not a lot of traffic, and it's less than a mile from Wal-Mart and a lot of restaurants. It has a bayou on one side and a meadow / forest on the other. I have the bayou view and I love seeing all the ducks and squirrels playing. My fiance has the meadow view and it's nice and relaxing. The managers are super friendly and maintenance has been good. Groundkeepers comes once a week and pest control comes once a month. There was a murder/suicide earlier this year, but it was a domestic issue. I haven't heard of any crime here at all. I'm a young female so safety was my number one requirement, and I feel very safe here.

Residences at Springridge just opened a couple months ago. They are really nice from what I saw in the brochure, but they are a bit out of town. Typical commute would be about 25-30 minutes.

Before the Willows, I lived in Island Park Apts for about 10 months. They are located on Clyde Fant Parkway right across the river from the base, probably a 5 minute commute. More up-scale than The Willows, only a couple years old, very nice and incredible maintenance staff. Has a gate that rarely works but I still felt safe there. It's really crowded, very busy, and pricey. Lots of young people, lots of kids...loud, loud kids.

I looked at Lexington Place during my hunt. It's really nice also and seems very well-kept. It's gated so that's a nice safety feature. Very close to the base. I think rent is higher and you get less square feet than at Willows but they are closer to the base than Willows.

I just went through apt hunting a couple months back so if you have any other questions or want a young female's viewpoint, feel free to ask.

Last edited by CountryGrl_n_SBC; 07-01-2009 at 03:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City