U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:16 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,571,943 times

Advertisements

Just read this in the online times. I haven't been to the old location in years but do go to the new one at the Red River Landing on Hwy 71 S. Food is just as good IMO and those legendary beef tips and rice, the coleslaw which is the best, the pies, mmm. Food was great. I just don't know what is going to become of the restaurant industry around here except that everyone is being corralled to chains, fast food, Mexican and Chinese. I do like all these but there is absolutely no homestyle cooking around anymore with diner varieties.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:44 PM

425 posts, read 1,375,847 times
NOOOOO!!!! I've been dreaming about stopping drunk for some Green Goddess next time I come back home!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:56 PM

974 posts, read 2,060,291 times
It will probably re-open as a Tattoo / Coffee shop knowing how Kings Hwy biz goes.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
It will probably re-open as a Tattoo / Coffee shop knowing how Kings Hwy biz goes.
Or how about a discount tobacco store which is anything but?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:16 PM

81 posts, read 281,537 times
RIP Murrell's. I'm not a "diner food" fan, but Murrell's has been around for 60 years, according the the article. That's a real loss for long-time patrons and late-night drunken folks alike.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:18 PM

974 posts, read 2,060,291 times
Murrell's was a local institution if nothing else. Since it was situated on old Hwy 1 @ Kings, it was a stopping off place for folks to have coffee, pie and plate lunches. There were old pics of prominent Louisiana figures who once frequented the place. It was the place of political coffee klatches either early morning or wee-hours. It's too bad it couldn't keep patronage up enough to keep it open. Who knows....maybe the owners just said "enough".

Down the road is George's Grill which will probably inherit the mantle as King's Hwy oldest cafe. While the original Strawn's on Kings is still open, they've cut back their hours and close around 3pm.
The newer Strawns in South East S'port and North Bossier have good customer traffic but have no-where near the original location's ambiance and history.

But the truth be told is that all these places don't really offer much in the way of different fare from so-called "chains". Sure the plate lunches can be homey...but nothing special. Not anything here like a breakfast bistro you'd find in Dallas or New Orleans. (think: Cafe Brazil or Breadwinners, Panero's...The Egg & I, etc. )

Yep...as far as Shreveport-Bossier tastes are concerned....everything might as well be a Denny's or IHOPS.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:36 PM

887 posts, read 2,846,459 times
Great food after a long night at the bars!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 PM

887 posts, read 2,846,459 times
I guess I'll eat at Strawn's.

I saw this about Murrell's elsewhere.. its pretty funny: *nothing to do with me*

One 4th of July, it was about 430 AM and me and 4 of my really good friends were sitting in there drunk as hell waiting on our food. We got to talking to to this trashy couple sitting next to us, who were on something, and the boyfriend offered us a look as his girl friend's *******. They were some pretty big *******, but she was nasty as hell. He look at her and I quote said "Show these boyz your *******" and stared her down. she looked up and with this twang said "yall wanna see my *******????" Then looked around and lifted her shirt. These two nasty titites came flopping out, and it suddenly became one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life. True story.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:01 PM

^Only at Murrell's

Old 07-21-2009, 06:53 PM

3,248 posts, read 8,626,760 times
I hope someone revives it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City