Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:21 AM

11 posts, read 29,742 times

Advertisements

Hello! Military family here! We have 4 kids aged 2-9. We live in Benton, and we honestly love it. We moved from Golden Meadows in South Bossier, which I did not love at all. Our neighborhood is quiet, safe, very family friendly. Bossier and Shreveport are kind of city/dirty in many areas. When you drive out to Benton, you actually feel a difference! It's kind of rural but not scary. Very calm and beautiful. We have a small Country Club (Golf course, swimming pool etc), it's nothing special but it's very inexpensive and not snobby at all.
We have our oldest at Legacy (depending on where you are in Benton you are Benton Elementary or Legacy Elementary), and we love it. It's a brand new school (opened in 2008), so there isn't a lot of data out there about test scores, but I can say personally it's a wonderful school. My daughter is challenged by the academics, but supported by the teachers. They're so welcoming to military families, it's a nice change from many other schools we have attended.
We have our other children at Asbury Ark preschool, which is by far the BEST preschool in the entire area hands down. They use the ABEKA cirriculum and they are fantastic. I LOVE this school and believe me we have been to about every preschool and day care in this area. The teachers are wonderful, the administration is fantastic, I can't say enough great things about Asbury.
I would definitely recommend Benton or North Bossier to any family. Best schools, best neighborhoods for families!

Last edited by brookeof4; 08-05-2010 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: misspell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 PM

50 posts, read 201,466 times
When you all mention traffic, I'm wondering....how long would a commute be in the midst of this traffic? Is it all day long traffic or just morning and evening rush hour?

Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 PM

18 posts, read 52,279 times
well, I currenly reside in OKC, just moved here 6 weeks ago, but I loved living in Haughton, actually it was a Haughton address, but it was within Stockwell School District. We lived in Dogwood South, and I know for a fact that there is one house that is gorgeous for sale on my culdesac. It's my friend Sam and Rays house. He is in the oil field and is getting transferred. he has to sell by January. I was just chatting with him on facebook. It is on Blue Fox Cr. in Dogwood South and the house is very cute and it's on a culdesac and we have the best neighbors and lots of children, as we lived there 4 years! There's a pastor on that street, 2 middle school English teachers 4 nurses, 1 dentist, 2 oil field people and a few other hodge podge professions, but all super nice. I can't say enough good things about blue fox cr. If you look him up on Facebook his name is Ray Crooks, or you can google Blue Fox Cr. I forget who he said was listing it. The commute to the airport wouldn't be bad. Just hope on 220 and it's about 20 minutes. Blanchard or Benton would be hauls, just to get to 220, I know, I did it for 4 months when our horses were borded in Benton. It got old fast. You can be on 220 in 3 minutes from Dogwood South. I will tell you good luck finding a rent house in Stockwell School district...very few and far between. There is also a for sale by owner in another fabulous neighborhood. It's called Carriage Oaks crossing. Our sunday School Teacher (former) lives on that street, and her cousins house is the one that's for sale by owner...it's across the street...she is a 2nd grade teacher at Stockwell. both are great neighborhoods...both are dead ends and both Stockwell. I just gave you great information. run with it friend!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 AM

8 posts, read 20,305 times
Military Family here too. We are in a dilemma whether to move there or stay put while hubby does his time there. I have one high school left and it's her Senior year so moving is a huge deal. Do you hear anything about what the high school is like in Benton? We would just rent and need a 3 bedroom 2 bath in a nice "small town feel" area. We have one small dog. Would love a community pool so your area sounds like it might fit the bill. Is North Bossier the Airline School District? I visited there when I visited. Houses seem small around the school at least.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 AM

18 posts, read 52,279 times
Don't know much about Benton High School, our neighborhood was Airline High School. The good thing about moving there is the cost of living...up and down side...our housing allowance went way up..we got $600 more a month, lived off base and lived under our allowance so pocketed alot. Dogwood South you would love. Carriage Oaks also has a pool.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,606 times
May be moving home to Louisiana from Los Angeles in the near future, to Haughton where my brother lives in a nice community. However I most likely would have to work in Shrevport, is the traffic that bad? The traffic here is just working my last nerve. I have worked in offices for the past 10 years but previosly went to Film school and worked in propduction. Any adivise would be greatly appreciated.

Peace!
Cindy

Old 08-30-2010, 04:37 PM

529 posts, read 1,321,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James in CA View Post
I may be moving to Shreveport area from Southern California next month with my wife and two young kids. The job bringing me to the area is at the regional airport. We're probably going to be finding a place to rent and moving there without ever visiting the area before... a little nervous about that! What's important to us is living near a great elementary school. We're looking at places near Stockwell elementary in Bossier City, and the towns of Blanchard and Benton. Considering my commute to the airport what would you recommend? What is Blanchard like compared to Benton?
I hear the film industry is quite active in the area... so I'm guessing there may be a few other Californians kicking around the area.
Man are you in for a culture shock. I grew up in Shreveport and it's noting like SoCal.

If I were you, you could live in either Waskom or Marshall, TX. The commute might take as a long as coming from North Bossier. But those are the areas I'd recommend renting in.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:06 PM

3,069 posts, read 7,985,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindymars View Post
May be moving home to Louisiana from Los Angeles in the near future, to Haughton where my brother lives in a nice community. However I most likely would have to work in Shrevport, is the traffic that bad? The traffic here is just working my last nerve. I have worked in offices for the past 10 years but previosly went to Film school and worked in propduction. Any adivise would be greatly appreciated.

Peace!
Cindy
Traffic in Shv is not as bad as the larger cities for sure! However, let me caution you if you wish to move to Haugton, Red Chute, East Bossier that I-20 traffic will be bad during rush hours going to Shreveport AM and heading into Bossier PM. All the lanes fill with cars and extends for a few miles. Traffic doesn't grind to a halt unless there is an accident (which happens frequently) but it will be slow. The problem is that the passers thru want to go 70, 80, even 90 and don't adjust their speed for the situation as usual. Way too many trucks use I-20 thru Shv instead of I-220. Lack of laws and enforcement can be blamed for that.

Leave early enough and you will be at work on time.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM

10 posts, read 49,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindymars View Post

Peace!
Cindy
I went to Haughton High School over 20 years ago! It's an OK/decent place (like most of the Shreveport/Bossier City (S-BC) area).

Since then I lived in a few areas of L.A. for a while (Calabassas/Thousand Oaks area, West L.A., Newport Beach/Irvine). Trust me, with regard to traffic there is no comparison. I mean think about it. We're talking about comparing "L.A. Empire" traffic (17,800,000 people) to Shreveport/Bossier City traffic (390,000 people). If you are accustomed to L.A. traffic, then you will find the traffic in S-BC pretty much non-existent. You can commute between the extreme E-W and N-S of S-BC within about 25 minutes. Unlike L.A., where you are planning your whole day around weighing the quickest routes between points A and B depending on time-of-day, events, constant construction, fires, etc. and the peak periods last from 5-9am and about 4-8pm;........the peak periods in S-BC are maybe 7:30-8:30am and 5-6pm.

It's cake.

Last edited by Saul_Goode; 09-01-2010 at 01:57 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul_Goode View Post
I went to Haughton High School over 20 years ago! It's an OK/decent place (like most of the Shreveport/Bossier City (S-BC) area).

Since then I lived in a few areas of L.A. for a while (Calabassas/Thousand Oaks area, West L.A., Newport Beach/Irvine). Trust me, with regard to traffic there is no comparison. I mean think about it. We're talking about comparing "L.A. Empire" traffic (17,800,000 people) to Shreveport/Bossier City traffic (390,000 people). If you are accustomed to L.A. traffic, then you will find the traffic in S-BC pretty much non-existent. You can commute between the extreme E-W and N-S of S-BC within about 25 minutes. Unlike L.A., where you are planning your whole day around weighing the quickest routes between points A and B depending on time-of-day, events, constant construction, fires, etc. and the peak periods last from 5-9am and about 4-8pm;........the peak periods in S-BC are maybe 7:30-8:30am and 5-6pm.

It's cake.
Ah thank you friend, for putting it into perspective. All day I have been here, dreading getting into my car, to drive mere miles away because of the lovely (certain group of really bad drivers) lol. I am looking forward to less traffic and noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City