U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:41 AM

42 posts, read 317,200 times

Advertisements

This has what it's come down to for us -- Benton or Haughton? Which is better?

We're considering a house in Spring Creek II in Haughton (a new subdivision-- only five or six houses in there so far) or somewhere in the Crouch Rd/Linton Cutoff area of Benton. We want a more rural/small town feel where we live. I really have a better feeling about Benton, although I don't know why. Hubby feels better about Haughton, and he also doesn't know why. I think it's that I think of Benton as cleaner/more well-kept (although not drastically so...and I know there are still bad areas of Benton), and hubby thinks of Haughton as more rural.

Schools are of utmost importance, as we have three little ones just starting in school. (Our oldest is in 2nd grade, middle will start Pre-K next fall, youngest is 2.) Since we don't really like the almost-Bossier area of Haughton, the schools would probably be T.L Rodes/Platt/Haughton Middle/Haughton High/etc. versus Benton schools. Which are better, and for what reasons? We're interested in a close-knit feel to the school/family type atmosphere and fun activites; we don't care so much about academic excellence, although we obviously would like for them to learn, too-- we'd just rather them have a fun, happy experience in school rather than be little educational soldiers. Our oldest is coming from a tiny school (180 kids in PK-12) where he doesn't even have to wear uniforms, so we'd like an easy transition into a nice, laid-back school if possible.

Bossier & Shreveport are not an option. Traffic makes my husband want to hurt someone, and I want to be closer to my mommy (in EXTREME north Louisiana), so Benton & Haughton are as far as I'll go.

More about us: We don't like snotty people. We are not trying to keep up with the Joneses. We are laid-back, we like to shop at Wal-Mart for everything, we don't care about having the newest/most expensive stuff. We are young (27 and 26), and our kids are 8, 4, and 2.

Jobs don't matter. Hubby works in the oil field and can live anywhere in the continental U.S., and I work at home doing medical transcription and can live anywhere with high-speed Internet.

So, from all this, where do you think we should live -- Benton or Haughton?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 PM

3,045 posts, read 7,589,148 times
Personally I would go with Benton. Haughton is more of a rural kind of town (your husband is right). It is still a good place to live, however, the meth problem has been worse over the years there than in Benton. It is not that bad bad, but I thought I would mention that since you have young children.

Benton has good accessiblitly into the shopping areas of north Bossier without getting beaten to a pulp on I20. Not that you would be liking shopping so much but still you need to get to something occasionally.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:47 AM

37 posts, read 260,729 times
Haughton is more rednecky, Benton is less. I hear about more drug offenses in Haughton than I do in Benton. Personally, I would choose Benton over Haughton.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:40 AM

1,906 posts, read 4,411,367 times
Benton is still not as developed as Haughton, so it would seem to satisfy your needs for the time being. Beware though, both locations are getting overbuilt like it's nobody's business, and once the airline drive/swan lake corridor cannot hold any more sardines looking for the proverbial "clean/great/schools/mcmansion-at-a-bargain/" Benton and Haughton will cease to be your piece of rural-feel "homogeneous" heaven.

A lot of people where I work are building in Benton (military homesteaders) and because of the access issues by a town that wasn't meant to be a bedroom community of Shreveport, people are actually starting to time their commutes to/from Benton area. Tell that to a Benton resident in the 80s and they would have laughed you off the building. Haughton is already experiencing these issues due to its access to I-20 and let me tell you, if somebody is going to put up with a pesky commute in Shreveport, you're honestly better off moving to Houston/DFW/Atlanta and have a bigger employment base. Part of living in Shreveport is NOT having a commute. I suspect I'm preaching to the choir since you stated your husband has the same distaste for commutes as I do. The only difference is that I went urban where you guys are wanting to go exurban (soon to be suburban). I live in an area that my co-workers wouldn't set foot in (highlands) but as somebody who is not scared of magnet programs or the idea of putting the kids in private school (due to the huge discount I get for living in a neighborhood with a "bad school district") I'm not sweating the kids education.

Just trying to give you the total picture of the Shrevport/Bossier area that apologists and real estate people won't tell you out of political correctness and/or self-interest. good luck.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:22 PM

3,045 posts, read 7,589,148 times
Your type of work will not require you to live in town. One warning-don't look at anything coming into the south entrance into Bossier city. Some of theese places have haughton addresses. Barksdale Blvd which is also US71 is a nightmare because it is long overdue for added turn lanes, lights, etc. Most of the traffic tries to feed onto a 2 lane bridge over into Shreveport known as the Jimmie Davis bridge. Traffic is almost non-stop.

Work is being done (finally!) on this stretch of road, but the mess persists as it hasn't been completed yet. Just thought I would forewarn you.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:04 PM

18 posts, read 49,915 times
Actually, I live in Haughton, but barely. it's not true haugton, it's barely off the 220 bypass, but it's bossier schools. our subdivision is dogwood south. Either one, true haugton or Benton will be out of the way for wal mart or civilization...we like out of the way too, but we find living right here out of the way enough. Traffic from true haughton to bossier city/shreveport can be hairy, especially when it's backed up for miles in the morning down hsy 80 when I20 is getting construction. I'd make the same choice if i did it all over again. We were recently flooded out of our barn and had to move our horse to Benton for 4 months...i had to drive it twice a day and it about killed me honestly. I didn't think I was EVER going to get there. There is no interstate to Benton. There is to haughton. That to me is a huge difference.

Last edited by linicx; 09-04-2010 at 03:53 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 8,233 times
Benton has much better schools than Haughton. The people in Benton are a lot more friendly. I lived in Haughton for a decade and have been in Benton about three years now. Haughton has a lot of clicks and family. If your grandparents, parents, etc. did not grow up in Haughton, you are not treated the same at all. My husband and I worked and had our children in school there and moved because of the schools in Haughton and definately do not have the same problems in Benton.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:22 AM

18 posts, read 49,915 times
There are clicks everywhere you go, and I have moved 10 times and lived in 12 states in 19 years and have never lived in city so friendly and with people so welcoming.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:36 AM

13 posts, read 10,133 times
While choosing your options, please keep in mind about future development prospects and their pros and cons.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:31 PM

14 posts, read 138,375 times
I may be moving to Shreveport area from Southern California next month with my wife and two young kids. The job bringing me to the area is at the regional airport. We're probably going to be finding a place to rent and moving there without ever visiting the area before... a little nervous about that! What's important to us is living near a great elementary school. We're looking at places near Stockwell elementary in Bossier City, and the towns of Blanchard and Benton. Considering my commute to the airport what would you recommend? What is Blanchard like compared to Benton?
I hear the film industry is quite active in the area... so I'm guessing there may be a few other Californians kicking around the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City