U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,550 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend just got transferred from South Louisiana to the Shreveport/Bossier area for work. We are currently trying to find a house to rent. I am wondering what areas/neighborhoods we should steer clear of! I don't want to be living in the ghetto or where there is a high crime rate. We have a 3 month old son that I need to make sure is safe. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 06:44 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,572,527 times
This will give you an idea:

In Shreveport AVOID THE FOLLOWING:
Anything west of Fairfield Ave and North of Kings Highway (unless you are a hardy soul).

No apt complexes except Champion Lake and Island Park and the other one adjacent there.

Stay away from Shreve City area.

Southwest Shreveport is more troublesome than it used to be.

In Bossier City AVOID:
Old Bossier, Barksdale Blvd south of I-20 to the base.

Swan Lake/Meadowview in east Bossier

Airline Dr south of Shed Road to its intersection with Barksdale Blvd. A few hardy souls could live in this area; we did 20 years ago, still have friends in the area. Beyond Shed it is safe.

I-20 north to about Douglas Dr. straight up Benton Road. Beyond Douglas it is safe.

I don't think I have left anything out. Forget North Shreveport-it looks nice and has great real estate bargains, but not good crime stat wise.

So There, I have given you the highlights.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,362 times
Wow, where else did you leave them to live? And you are totally wrong on the crime stats in North Shreveport. Please check it again. Yes, there are some areas that have a high crime rate. But I live North and my area is actually the best in the city for crime stats. So, please be careful grouping everything together when it is not quite true. North Shreveport covers a very large area. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:43 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetappe View Post
Wow, where else did you leave them to live? And you are totally wrong on the crime stats in North Shreveport. Please check it again. Yes, there are some areas that have a high crime rate. But I live North and my area is actually the best in the city for crime stats. So, please be careful grouping everything together when it is not quite true. North Shreveport covers a very large area. Thanks.
FYI I grew up in North Shreveport. Watched it go down. The rest of Shreveport (city council) favored housing projects being placed up there. Absolutely nothing like that in their little precious districts. Well what goes around comes around. Look at em' now.

North Shreveport itself may not have the highest crime rate in the city but look what you have to travel through to get there, esp. at night. It's not the place it was when I was growing up.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:22 AM

20 posts, read 52,672 times
Yeah, original poster didn't leave you with many viable options! I am a transplant to this area and while I would love to tell you to NOT move here, I understand that it may be inevitable! I think the whole area is a crime ridden, swamp infested stinkhole...but hey, I have to live here for now and despite my remarks, am trying to make the best of it. We made a fast, blind move for a job and I wish I had known a lot more about the area. My husband got relocated here and we literally checked out the city, secured employment for me and made a bid on a house all in the same day...do not do this! Here is my lowdown:

Bossier City, in general, is safer than Shreveport. While there are older areas, it is generally newer and shinier. That said, Bossier is having some major budget issues at present and just fired a strong amount of police and firemen...doesn't bode well for the city. North Bossier, as in north of 220 has seen a lot of growth and has gads and gads of brand new sub divisions. There is also some older neighborhoods south of the base...Bellaire for example, is a nice, solid working/middle class nieghborhood with young families and base retirees...seems nice with a cute little school and Church. I have a friend that lives in a cute little subdivison near parkway high school...seems clean, well kept. Also, large parts of north Bossier is flooding right now from all the rain...check out the weather channel!

Benton is a nice little town north of Bossier with good schools. However, without a decent highway or anything linking it to the Shrevport/Bossier area, commuting into town for work is said to be tedious. But if I had known then what I know now, I would definitely consider Benton...check it out.

I am most familiar with Shreveport so here is what I know. We settled in a neighborhood called Broadmoor between East Kings and Youree Drive. Mostly well kept, older homes on decent size lots with sidewalks. Solid working/middle class. Great starter homes for young families. Relatively safe: meaning I can jog up and down my street safely, my children can play in the yard and there are some great little schools like AC Steere in the neighborhood. That said, there is the occasional burglary and we are not far from some seedier areas of town. Something to consider, but if you can afford better, look elsewhere. Shreve City is across East Kings and is a nice little middle-class neighborhood similar to Broadmoor. Affordable and generally safe except for your random burglary.

South Highlands is a very nice, older area with great, old homes...pricey and surrounded by ghetto.

Do not consider anything in Highland (north of South Highlands). Highland is a very transitional area home to lots of halfway houses and the like. Do not consider it.

If I could have done it all over again, I would have looked at homes in the Ellerbe Road area. This is a little south of town and more suburban/residential. Many of my coworkers have homes in this part of town and love it. Older 1960-90's homes on large lots with meandering streets. Very pretty. South of that is Norris Ferry Landing...don't know much about the area...can be pricey.

Spring Lake is a very nice subdivision south of town. Somewhat pricey. Definitely worth a look.

I know there are quite a few other nice subdivisions around Shreveport/Bossier that I am not as familiar with. I mainly drive from home to work and try not to get killed or mugged in between. Both cities are somewhat "patchy", meaning a very nice neighborhood can be transitional one street over and ghetto the next...so on and so forth.

Crime in general, is pretty bad in Shreveport. I work as an ER nurse...I see it all first hand. It's amazing. Large homeless population as well. The main shopping is to be had on Youree in Shreveport and Airline in Bossier. Stores and restaurants are mostly chains. Not much to do. Lots of churches to get involved in, though! Are you staying at home with your little one? If not, I have a young one as well and can give you some information regarding mother's day out and preschool!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:56 PM

474 posts, read 1,356,498 times
Made the same mistake as Vaughn! We rented an appartment in North Bossier - I won't say the name but it is on the corner of Wemple Road and Airline Drive. Didn't last in there the full lease and wanted out so bad that we paid $2,000 just to leave! We were so desparate to leave that complex that we made an offer on a house before doing our homework. PLEASE do your homework before committing to any housing situation. There are many knowledable folks on this forum that will help you.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAA09 View Post
My boyfriend just got transferred from South Louisiana to the Shreveport/Bossier area for work. We are currently trying to find a house to rent. I am wondering what areas/neighborhoods we should steer clear of! I don't want to be living in the ghetto or where there is a high crime rate. We have a 3 month old son that I need to make sure is safe. Thanks!
You can get a listing at the police dept. about what areas have a higher crime rate than others.Most of the subdivisons down Barksdale going east from the base are very nice and safe. There are many neighborhoods who have police living there and park their squad cars out in front of their homes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City