Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:48 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,809 times

Advertisements

ShreveportNative... If you're being realistic, then look at the crime stats of ANY southern city with 200,000 or more people and you'll find not many with better crime rates than Shreveport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 12:50 PM

53 posts, read 209,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreveportNative View Post
It is easy. In Shreveport stay east of Southern Avenue. If in the Highland neighborhood, stay south of Olive Street. Most of west Shreveport is inexpensive, but very high crime. I'm not an expert on Bossier City, but it has a few higher crime areas that are rundown.

I'm not a Shreveport basher, just being realistic. Look at the crime stats by zip code if you don't believe my assessment as a 53 year old resident who has lived here most of my life.
I lived in Bossier for 14 years and taught in both Caddo and Bossier Parishes.
I am not going to bash S'Port either but if you have kids in school please check the schools in S'Port carefully. As in any inner city, they are experincing a lot of problems, and since I have taught in both parishes, I can tell you Caddo Parish is not run well at all. There are some good schools there but please reserach it well on GreatSchools.net. Bosseir schools on the whole are better. We lived in N. Bossier and loved it but he traffic can be tough. Still a lot of military families in S.Bosser so that might be an angle to cehck out.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 8,035 times
Default Moving to Bossier

My boyfriend and I are looking at a house on boone st in Bossier city we cant afford a really expensive home at this time the one we found is really cute and a great price however I am a little worried about the neighborhood most of the houses are a little run down and it looks like there is project housing right down the road. I talked with a policeman about the neighborhood he said its not so bad but I would really like more input. This house would be a great investment but I have a seven year old daughter and I dont want to put her in any danger. Also if anyone knows of any private schools in this area it would be of great help to me.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda1 View Post
My boyfriend and I are looking at a house on boone st in Bossier city we cant afford a really expensive home at this time the one we found is really cute and a great price however I am a little worried about the neighborhood most of the houses are a little run down and it looks like there is project housing right down the road. I talked with a policeman about the neighborhood he said its not so bad but I would really like more input. This house would be a great investment but I have a seven year old daughter and I dont want to put her in any danger. Also if anyone knows of any private schools in this area it would be of great help to me.
I've never heard of this street before, so I just looked it up. It's in an older area, but it's not really a bad area. I'm sure it's got its fair share of crime, but it's not Bossier's worst neighborhood. It's a lot like the neighborhood I grew up in. It'd definitely be a neighborhood in which you should be aware of your surroundings, but the likelihood of hearing gunshots is probably very low. Keep in mind that even Bossier's worst neighborhoods are not on the level of Shreveport's worst. Shreveport's worst neighborhoods have shootings, robberies, muggings, stabbings, murders, rapes, etc CONSTANTLY... Bossier's worst neighborhoods VERY rarely have any of those crimes.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 8,003 times
Default South Highlands nice?

I was driving through looking at houses while my wife was in for an interview. I talked with some people at The Southfield School...which seemed like a very nice private school. I also drove by South Highlands Magnet School...which has great test scores.

We won't be moving until July 2008...so we have a little time. We don't want to live in Bossier City as it's too far away from the hospital that she will be working.

South Highlands have some nice older homes...looks like there is some money in that area. Question though...the areas surrounding South Highlands isn't the greatest. Is South Highlands a safe area?

Also, I was driving south of Shreveport on both Youree Dr and Ellerbe Road. That area has a lot of brand new construction and seemed like a nice area.

What is your opinion on which is better? South Highlands area or the southern areas off Youree and Ellerbe?

Old 03-12-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwah View Post
I was driving through looking at houses while my wife was in for an interview. I talked with some people at The Southfield School...which seemed like a very nice private school. I also drove by South Highlands Magnet School...which has great test scores.

We won't be moving until July 2008...so we have a little time. We don't want to live in Bossier City as it's too far away from the hospital that she will be working.

South Highlands have some nice older homes...looks like there is some money in that area. Question though...the areas surrounding South Highlands isn't the greatest. Is South Highlands a safe area?

Also, I was driving south of Shreveport on both Youree Dr and Ellerbe Road. That area has a lot of brand new construction and seemed like a nice area.

What is your opinion on which is better? South Highlands area or the southern areas off Youree and Ellerbe?
South Highlands! The area is so old and fantasic, and is probably THE safest, older affluent neighborhood in the city. Did you price homes there? I hope you're ready to spend $250,000 on the VERY low end, and up into the millions on the high end. And yes, I'm very serious. This neighborhood is often showcased nationally on TLC's What You Get For the Money.

But yes... South Highlands gets two thumbs up from me. Southfield School is excellent, and you're right down the road from the RW Norton Art Gallery & Gardens, and you're also right there in the middle of Uptown, which has some excellent upscale shopping and dining options.

You won't be at all disappointed. As with ANY area of Shreveport, it's best to always keep an eye on your surroundings (people, places, etc) for any signs of danger... but it is by far one of the safest and quietest areas in all the city and you'd be just fine there. It's also a neighborhood people enjoy jogging and walking around. TONS of movies currently being filmed in this area are being partly filmed all around the South Highlands area because it's such a charming, small-townish neighborhood. All of Uptown is that way. Mid-City, not so much... but Uptown... definitely!

Old 03-29-2007, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 7,903 times
Thumbs down Areas to move

I have lived in Bossier City for nine years. People ask me what brought me to Louisiana and my standard answer is that I made a wrong turn.
Seeing that you do not have a choice and must relocate here there are questions that must be asked.
Are you looking to purchase a home? New or previously owned? If so in what price range? Do you have children of school age? Grade school, high school, college? Do you need immediate access to shopping, hospital, lakes? Do you want an apartment? What commuting time is acceptable?
There are so many variables that exsist that it is almost impossible to answer outright.
Overall am I personally pleased with Bossier City/Louisiana, no I am not. I find that the people overall are not well educated and if you are not one of the "good old boys" and you are not a member of their particular church they might be polite but that is as far as it goes. They will not befriend you.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 AM

104 posts, read 832,898 times
I am sorry but I disagree here. Some of the nicest people are from the south. I believe you will get treated the way you treat people. My husband is from Ohio and he said Louisiana has some of the most beautiful woman.

As for as the education, I do somewhat agree with you. The schools could use some major help! But, I believe a lot has to do with how much the parents encourage or demand more from their children.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martsharpei View Post
I have lived in Bossier City for nine years. People ask me what brought me to Louisiana and my standard answer is that I made a wrong turn.
Seeing that you do not have a choice and must relocate here there are questions that must be asked.
Are you looking to purchase a home? New or previously owned? If so in what price range? Do you have children of school age? Grade school, high school, college? Do you need immediate access to shopping, hospital, lakes? Do you want an apartment? What commuting time is acceptable?
There are so many variables that exsist that it is almost impossible to answer outright.
Overall am I personally pleased with Bossier City/Louisiana, no I am not. I find that the people overall are not well educated and if you are not one of the "good old boys" and you are not a member of their particular church they might be polite but that is as far as it goes. They will not befriend you.
Bossier has one of the best education systems in Louisiana and the south in general. The vast majority of Bossier residents are intellectually superior to the majority of Shreveport residents, as well as Louisiana residents.

Bossier is a great place, so why run it into the ground just because you don't feel accepted?

Old 04-03-2007, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 41,379 times
Default Amusement park

Does the Shreveport-Bossier area have any amusement/themeparks or anything of the sort? I know Dallas,(3 hours away has SFOT). The SF park in N.O. was destroyed by Katrina and won't be-reopening and B.R. has BB/Dixie Landin. With all these good things I'm reading about the SP/BC and it's family-friendly atmosphere-it wouldn't seem complete without some kind of themepark attraction-is anything like this in the works or future plans for that area? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City