U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,887 times

Advertisements

I am 28, recently single, about to graduate from massage school and debating a move back to LA or CO from FL. I am originally from Vermont, lived in Colorado for about 3 years, and lived in Shreveport for about 3 months. I really enjoyed Shreveport's small town feel with city options, but I am worried that moving there and buying a house might not be a good investment.
Does anyone have any insight into the future growth of Shreveport and how that may relate to property? Obviously none of us are real estate agents (??) so what I am really asking for is a resident's opinion.
I am also looking at New Orleans, so if anyone has any thoughts on moving there please comment.
I would like to buy property in Highland S'port or in the nearby country. Is land around the city expensive? Living out by the Rose center interests me.
Any advice you may have to offer on anything would be helpful! Anything you recommend I think about or look into!
Blessings and thank you!
K
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 10:40 PM

772 posts, read 4,244,673 times
Don't know exactly what you're asking. Homes always appreciate in value unless they're built in declining areas. Build or buy in a nice area of Shreveport or Bossier and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:48 AM

2,326 posts, read 6,723,681 times
I have family in Shreveport. While it's not a "boomtown" like Vegas or Austin, its nicer areas have experienced slow but steady growth for years. If you've spent time in the city and you think you would be happy living there, go for it.

Purchasing real estate in New Orleans, on the other hand, is the equivalent of financial suicide.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:56 AM

443 posts, read 1,502,691 times
Your not going to experience either in Shreveport. Slow and steady appreciation, however, I would be hesitant about picking southwest Shreveport, crime has been making a steady march southwest for the past ten years, to the point that a formerly successful mall closed down and has now turned into a church. Try southeast Shreveport down Youree drive, particularly south of Bert Kouns or north Bossier. The area down line drive and highlands looks very nice, but crime is a little higher there than it would be in the other two areas I mentioned. The further south on line you go the better, but the middle portion of Line Ave. has the misfortune of being in close proximity to one of the worst neighborhoods in town(Cedar Grove).

Buying in New Orleans is a bad idea, housing prices are greatly inflated hope is not great there right now, I wouldn't count on much appreciation at all there and probably depreciation in a few years. Question though, why pick Louisiana after living in the places you've lived? I would choose CO. in a second even with the increased cost of housing.

Btw, I haven't lived in Shreveport for about 8 years, but still have lots of family there that keep me up on the latest happenings.

Last edited by DFWMike; 06-01-2007 at 11:08 AM..

Old 06-01-2007, 11:03 AM

772 posts, read 4,244,673 times
Some people just want a change of pace, but I have to agree... as much as I love Shreveport, if I lived in Colorado and Florida there's no way I'd want to live anywhere else. At least as far as Colorado is concerned, anyway.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:59 PM

530 posts, read 2,539,926 times
My family and I moved to Colorado from New Orleans last year. Honestly, there is no comparison of the two. If you are really serious about living in a friendly,progressive and proactive state, I would highly recommend Colorado. Just check out the CO board and you can read about it. My family and I are never going to leave Colorado!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:19 PM

169 posts, read 648,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micktooth View Post
My family and I moved to Colorado from New Orleans last year. Honestly, there is no comparison of the two. If you are really serious about living in a friendly,progressive and proactive state, I would highly recommend Colorado. Just check out the CO board and you can read about it. My family and I are never going to leave Colorado!

Agreed. Moved to CO this last year - well worth the move. You'll probably have to drag me away kicking and screaming to get me to leave - and this is from someone born and raised in Louisiana.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 35,771 times
Katie,

Shreveport has boomed during the last ten years, however more so in the past 5 years. The housing market is awesome, we have more subdivisions here than I have ever imagined and land is being bought up for commercial business. Speaking of, the commercial business market has gone crazy. If you have been gone more than three years, you will not know the place, both shreveport and especially Bossier City. As for the Highland area, I would stay away from there, as it is becoming more like cedar grove, the HOOD! White Flight to Bossier has been on for 5 good years.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:36 PM

611 posts, read 751,298 times
If you're White or Hispanic, and don't care too much for rain, then yes, Colorado is the place to be

Old 09-21-2012, 05:03 PM

15,814 posts, read 23,839,719 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote.
Do you realize this thread is over 5 years old?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-21-2012 at 09:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City