Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 10:49 PM

39 posts, read 193,863 times

Advertisements

I am a student at NSU in Natchitoches, but next year I will be moving to the Shreveport area to begin clinicals.

I am on a budget (no more than about $600/month) but I have no idea what neighborhoods are safe in the area, yet affordable. I will be living wih my fiancee, splitting costs. Does anyone know of the best apartments? I have seen some posts about nice areas with houses, but I can' buy a house just yet..gotta graduate first

I wouldn't mind living in Bossier at all. Commuting a little bit isn't a big deal.

Alrighty. thanks in advance!

Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 12:18 AM

768 posts, read 4,375,134 times
Your best bet might be to try looking for rental units in the Highland and South Highlands area, and the area surrounding Centenary College. Otherwise, I don't know what you're going to find below $600/month that is safe. I was paying roughly $650/month for a 1-bedroom apartment in SpringLake Point, but their rates went up every time I renewed my lease.

Also, try Lee Hardware Apartments in downtown Shreveport. When those opened about 10 years ago they were running around $350/month. While I'm sure they're higher than that now, I doubt they're over $600 since the more upscale United Jewelers Apartments next door start around $750/month.

If you need anything further, feel free to email me at sbcmetroguy@gmail.com and I'll gladly help!

Old 11-28-2006, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 7,485 times
I have been looking for apartments myself and I'm just stumped. All of them are over my budget I wish you the best of luck I couldn't find one.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jolly Roger View Post
I have been looking for apartments myself and I'm just stumped. All of them are over my budget I wish you the best of luck I couldn't find one.
Seriously, look up Lee Hardware Apartments and call them. They should be within your price range if there are any available.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:25 PM

With your GREAT advice, I can feel confident in picking a place to live. I was really considering Greenacres Village, but they don't have Washer Dryer hookups! So I think I will go with Tallow Wood. Its a little more pricey, but thats OK.

If you are looking for an apartment, email this guy! He knows what he' talking about. Here is a rundown of some of the apartments I asked him about.

Southwood Village - As a general rule of thumb, I'd be leery of anything with the name "Southwood" in Shreveport. That would put these apartments in the vicinity of Southwood High School and there is a lot of racial tension in that area between blacks and whites. General crime is fairly high in that area, although violent crime is relatively low in that area. If you're black you'll fit into that area well, but if you're white you'll be a bit less accepted.

Colonial Plaza - I've heard of crimes occurring in these apartments, but not unlike any of the other apartments in the city. These are right in the middle of Shreveport's busiest shopping district, so the only downside would be the traffic. Other than that, I believe these are decent apartments.

The Pier Landing - Within the last 5 years there was a very brutal, nasty quadruple-homicide in these apartments. It was a professional hit and no one has ever served time for that crime. I'd steer clear of these apartments if it meant sleeping in my car! LOL

Millicent Crossing - These are decent. Mostly college students and young families, since these apartments are in the University area across from LSU-S. If you can handle some late-night noise from time to time and petty theft from vehicles from time to time, you can handle living in these apartments. My cousin lived there for a few years and never had any problems, although problems have occurred. I guess it's just the kind of petty crimes that could occur anywhere. One big benefit to these is the location. You're not only right by the LSU-S campus, but also right in the middle of Shreveport's busiest shopping district at Youree Drive and Bert Kouns.

The Willows at Wright Island - Very nice. I've never heard of any problems with these apartments. The only thing that comes to mind is that a body was found in the woods behind them a few years ago. That said, however, the body was just taken and dumped there from a crime scene somewhere else in the city. I have never heard of any dangers in these apartments and even considered them, myself, at one time.

Chaparral Apartments - These are decent. They are located right across from one of Bossier's heavy medical districts, and the scariest thing in that area is the City Morgue which is just a couple blocks over. Other than that and the occasional car vandalism, nothing major. A couple years back some kids spray-painted every single car in the parking lot during the night. I believe this was just a random act and I've never heard of anything else like this happening there. Overall, I think they're probably decent apartments. There will definitely be some road noise and you'll hear your fair share of sirens since there's a hospital right across the street and there are two major intersections nearby where accidents are everyday occurrences.

Raintree Apartments - See what I said for 'Millicent Crossing' above. These are in the same district across from LSU-S, so the same issues apply.

Southfield Apartments - Questionable. These are located right next to an Albertson's store that I used to have to shop at, and it's not the most desirable area anymore. Most of the trouble-makers who would come into that store were people who had walked over from these apartments.

Tallow Wood - These are very nice apartments from what I've seen and heard. The only negative I know of can also be a positive, depending on how you view it. These apartments are located directly on Airline Drive, which is more congested than any street anywhere else in the Shreveport-Bossier region. That's bad for obvious reasons, but also good because of the convenience to shopping and dining. These apartments are directly across the street from North Bossier's Wal-Mart Supercenter and a vacant pasture which will likely offer more retail and dining options someday soon. In addition you'd be about 1/8-mile from Bossier's newest shopping center which is under construction, and will be home to Target, Belk, Kohl's, Best Buy, and so on.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:26 PM

Continued:

Preston Place - I'm unsure, but I've heard over the years that these apartments are very cheaply constructed and you can hear every move your neighbors make. They're in an older part of Bossier, but it's fairly close to the police station and the mall. Overall I don't believe these are very nice at all.

Greenacres Village - These are some of the nicest apartments in Bossier and I've never heard anything negative about them. Growing up I had quite a few friends who lived there and they seemed nice. These are right in the same area as the Tallow Wood apartments mentioned above. As a matter of fact, I believe they're located directly next door to them.

Northgate Square - Many positives, but probably more negatives. Positives: directly across the street from Holiday Lanes Bowling Alley, not far from Airline Drive or Pierre Bossier Mall. Negatives: on a very bumpy, narrow road which I believe is finally under construction to widen and fix the potholes. These apartments back up to Barksdale Air Force Base. One of my co-workers lived in these apartments back when he was in the Air Force and even he couldn't deal with the noise of the planes. When the planes are lined up along the fligth line, they're aimed right at these apartments and you hear and feel everything. During wartime (like now) it's the worst.

Port Au Prince - See 'Preston Place' above. These are located rigth there with those apartments, and as far as I know the same issues apply.

Millbrook Apartments - If you're concerned about crime, bypass these. East Washington is one of the worst streets in Shreveport. The gas station right around the corner from these apartments is robbed often, and a man was shot and killed in a drive-by while he spoke on the pay phone outside that store last year. I'd most definitely not even give these apartments a second look.

Here is the link to the above mentioned apartments.
http://www.ulcoleman.com/apartments2005ra.htm (broken link)

Old 11-28-2006, 01:12 PM

Well, Mary, I do appreciate your compliments. I love to assist where I can, and I know when people are moving into a new region it can be very difficult to know where to start and any little bit of help is usually appreciated. That said, I can't help but want to assist people who are new to the region I love so dearly.

I believe with Tallow Wood you've made a very wise choice. Aside from the never-ending congestion along Airline Drive, I think you will be pleased. I believe you will learn to deal with the traffic along that corridor just like the rest of us and you'll find that the convenience to existing and upcoming retail and dining options is very much to your liking.

Brian

Old 11-28-2006, 01:43 PM

LOL I keep doing research and keep finding more apartments. I know I have bombarded you with email

I was wondering if you knew anything about LaCrosse Apartments. They are at 100 Crossroads Blvd. in Bossier City.

Arrrrgggh there are so many choices!

Old 11-28-2006, 10:20 PM

Ehhhh I am pretty sure it is going to be Tallow for me. I can't find anything more affordable in a better area so far. Probably giong to head to Bossier City in the next couple of weeks to check it up, and maybe a couple of others on the good list.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:23 PM

Smart idea. This gives you a chance to narrow down your options, and ultimately choose one.

Which ever property you settle on, I really hope you enjoy living in Shreveport-Bossier.

Oh, and sorry I never answered you about LaCrosse. Those are very nice, but I thought they were pretty pricey. I could be wrong. The only downside I could see is, if you live in the rear of the complex, I-20 is right there. Sure, you can sit out there and sip tea while laughing at those of us stuck in rush hour traffic, but I'd think that eventually the constant roar of up-close traffic would become an issue. There are wrecks on that stretch of I-20 almost daily, so there's lots of noise. As a matter of fact, I encountered a wreck there this morning while I was commuting in. Just past LaCrosse, underneath the Benton Road overpass, as a matter of fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City