U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 09:38 AM

772 posts, read 4,261,154 times

Advertisements

That's crazy, I would have thought you'd find something for Legacy on Google but I checked as well and came up nearly empty-handed. What I did find, though, I will PM to you. It's not much but it's a start.

The thing to consider in Shreveport-Bossier is it's not a heavily suburban area. Bossier City is basically one big suburb to Shreveport, and there are other small towns around that are in the beginning stages of suburbanization... but when you get outside of Shreveport-Bossier proper it's mostly rural. For decades this area developed around the inner-city while areas like Little Rock, Baton Rouge, Birmingham, etc sprawled out. I don't know why it's that way but it is. Aside from Bossier City itself, any other suburbanization in this region is relatively new. Haughton, Benton, Greenwood, etc are still mostly rural areas but all are very nice.

Benton is particularly nice, but much like a booming suburb the traffic leading up Airline Drive into Benton is horrendous. Once you get into Bossier, however, you can get on I-220 and loop around in either direction.

Haughton is still a bit of a mystery to me. I'm going on 2 years living out there now, and while I do enjoy it, it's a bit separated from everything. The area I live in is building up with new subdivisions but it's severely underdeveloped commercially. You have to drive 10+ minutes toward east Bossier City to find simple a McDonald's, Sonic, CVS, etc. All we have out that way is a Waffle House and a couple of gas stations. It IS quiet and peaceful, though.

Oh yeah and I almost forgot... yes there is a Sam's Club, but it's in southeast Shreveport. North Bossier is developing up rapidly, though, so I'd be surprised if they didn't build a Sam's Club near the north Bossier Wal-Mart within the next 5 years. Currently they're in the process of building a new Target, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc in north Bossier so now people in north Bossier won't have to drive to southeast Shreveport for most of those well-known chain stores and eateries.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 09:17 AM

15 posts, read 77,488 times
Hey all...thoughts on Greenwood? My brother went to school NSU in Natchitoches and he said it was a good place. That was several years ago, though. Anyone out there that lives there now? How's the crime? Property appreciating? New housing developments?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:34 AM

Greenwood is a nice little town and is growing, but it's a somewhat intolerant place. The mayor is black, so you'd think it's a progressive town... but the mayor was recently the victim of a racially-motivated crime. It was something you'd have heard of back before integration, but not in 2007. Of course there are always intolerant people, but Greenwood is still a redneck town that doesn't approve of its black mayor.

I personally wouldn't live there, but it's not a bad place to visit. It's home to the nation's largest rose gardens and the national headquarters of the American Rose Society.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 AM

Probably not the best envirnment to raise bright, well adjusted, kind children in, huh? How they happen to elect a mayor they didn't want? Do you think it's the majority of the population or just a few rednecks causing the problems? Heard anything about the school systems?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charswillsmom View Post
Probably not the best envirnment to raise bright, well adjusted, kind children in, huh? How they happen to elect a mayor they didn't want? Do you think it's the majority of the population or just a few rednecks causing the problems? Heard anything about the school systems?
I would have to say it's not the majority of the people causing the problems but they're still there unfortunately. The schools are Caddo Parish and unfortunately I can't say a good thing about that school system. In this area, Bossier Parish schools (Bossier City, Benton, Haughton, etc) are the way to go if you want a good education for your children. Caddo Parish does have a Magnet program, though, and plenty of private schools. Greenwood is a very small place so I know they don't have any private schools. You could possibly get into the Magnet program living out there, though.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:54 PM

76 posts, read 496,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Greenwood is a nice little town and is growing, but it's a somewhat intolerant place. The mayor is black, so you'd think it's a progressive town... but the mayor was recently the victim of a racially-motivated crime. It was something you'd have heard of back before integration, but not in 2007. Of course there are always intolerant people, but Greenwood is still a redneck town that doesn't approve of its black mayor.

I personally wouldn't live there, but it's not a bad place to visit. It's home to the nation's largest rose gardens and the national headquarters of the American Rose Society.

Was the fire chief who recenly pleaded guilty to ordering a hit from Greenwood?

Old 06-13-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveNOLA View Post
Was the fire chief who recenly pleaded guilty to ordering a hit from Greenwood?
No clue, that's news to me.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:30 PM

76 posts, read 496,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
No clue, that's news to me.
I found it. Thanks.

Prosecutors outline scheme where fire chief tried to kill witness

Posted on 06/07/2007

Former Greenwood fire chief Donovon McMullen Jr. admitted today he tried to hire a hit man to kill a witness who was telling the government how McMullen stole medical equipment used in Hurricane Katrina relief efforts. McMullen also admitted stealing medical equipment and selling it.

In court documents, federal prosecutors in Baton Rouge outlined a scheme in which McMullen went to the woods in Natchitoches Parish and discussed how the murder of the witness was to be carried out. Unknown to McMullen, the man he was discussing it with had turned government witness, too, and was wearing a hidden recording device.

McMullen, 42, pleaded guilty this afternoon in federal court in Baton Rouge. He faces up to 50 years in prison when he is sentenced later this year.

McMullen went to Baton Rouge after Hurricane Katrina and worked in a staging area for ambulances used to transport hurricane victims. His job was to dispatch ambulances and carry supplies to rescue crews.

In court documents, prosecutors told how McMullen panicked when he found out he was under investigation for theft, then launched a clumsy move to kill a man who had been caught up in the investigation and started talking to federal investigators.

Prosecutors said McMullen and Michael Proveaux stole 15 defibrillators in Baton Rouge early last year and delivered them to Rudy Adams -- who paid McMullen $500 and gave Proveaux cocaine.

McMullen eventually found out federal agents were investigating the thefts and that Adams had been caught and was cooperating, prosecutors said. McMullen decided Adams needed to be killed and met with Proveaux about arranging it, prosecutors said.

Unbeknownst to him, Proveaux had been implicated by then and was cooperating with the government.

McMullen and Proveaux met in a wooded area in Natchitoches Parish in March to discuss having a hit man kill Adams, prosecutors said. McMullen provided a handgun with the serial number filed off, bullets and a disposable cell phone.

"I told you a good long way back about needing to take care of (Adams) and we didn't," McMullen said during the recorded conversation. "If we would've taken this motherf----- out, we would've heard nothing."

The two men talked again five days later, prosecutors said, and McMullen was told Adams had been killed. "The defendant responds that his problem is solved," prosecutors said in court filings.

Adams was never hurt.

McMullen has been replaced as fire chief for the fire district around Greenwood.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:36 PM

Okay, now I remember that story. I had no idea that was around here though. Still, could happen anywhere... and does... daily.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:59 AM

Okay guys.... I need more help.
I think I mentioned earlier that we would be renting until we got our bearings in S/BC. We will probably have to rent a place sight unseen. We will be there mid-July to visit and then probably rent an apartment over the phone in September so I need help about apartment communities. I think that will be
easier than renting a house sight unseen. Don't you think?

Things to consider...
1) Peace loving family...no late night parties for us. Really, no after 9:00 parties for us. So no big undergrad portion of tenants.
2) Safety is the biggest issue. Not money, not distance. Both of those are important, and will be factors in deciding, but not as important as safety.
3) Tentants are mostly professionals, if possible.

So, all that being said. What can you tell me about...
A- Southfield Apartments-Southfield road. Appears to be about 3 blocks east of Youree Drive.
B- RiverWalk Apartment-Riverwalk road. Roughly in the same area as Southfield apartments. Several blocks east of Youree Drive.
C- Canebrake-Sugarland Drive. Off of Stewart Drive and a little north of East Ridge Country Club.
D- Summit of Shreveport-Roma Drive. One block east of Youree, between Florida and Sand Beach Blvd.
E- Island Park- Several blocks east of Youree Drive.
(I just realized that most of them are in approximately the same location.)
F- The Reserve- Airline Drive. Past Airline Park Estates and Brownlee Estates but not quite to Wemple Road.
G- Cypress Pointe- further north on Airline Drive.
H- LaCrosse Apartments- Crossroads Blvd. Off of Old Minden Road before Interstate 20.

If all these are no-goes...has anyone heard of lived in a place that I may be describing?
Thank ya'll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City