U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 13,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larice View Post
my husband's family have all left shreveport (along with many) to move to bossier. there are so many nice areas being built in bossier and the schools are better. the kids attend stockwell and they are pleased with that. they live off 220 and shed road in a nice area (carriage oaks).
Hope this isn't too late! I have to agree with larice, sbcmetroguy, and others here. Seems like a lot of folks are 'fleeing' Shreveport's escalating crime rate (so much for the new mayor's 'tough on crime' campaign promise!) and relocating to north Bossier City.

Not sure how long y'all are planning on staying. (Former military brat/veteran here.) For around $1100 mtge, you might want to check Tiburon (off Swan Lake Rd, west of Stonebridge Golf Club) and Legacy homes, also on Swan Lake Rd, but towards the Airline Drive (west) side of it. Both are getting new schools, Legacy elementary is tentatively opening 2008-2009 school year. WR Smith elem (just south of Tiburon/Stonebridge) will follow the next year, I think. We're currently searching for lots on which to build, so we can pick colors/new appliances & mechanicals/etc. I'm just ready to live in a newer house--tired of working on the house everyotherweekend! We live a 55-yo house in Shreveport's South Highlands, nice neighborhood, questionable schools, close to the edge of 'Cedar Grove' and it's scary to drive home at night! Broadmoor floods during heavy rains, but the older houses that have been updated correctly (you'll have to look!) have lots of character, plus AC Steere school district is one of the tops in the city. Plus, the schools are better in Bossier Parish, IMHO, which is why they don't need the 'band-aid' magnet system so popular in S'port and south Louisiana.

New businesses/stores/restaurants are building along the I-220 corridor, incl new Target/Belk/Best Buy center, with lots of upscale shopping nearby. N. Bossier is an easy, if busy, drive to Barksdale, Louisiana Boardwalk (eating/outlet shops) and the downtown district on the S'port side. Benton Road overpass (going over the KCS rail line) will alleviate some congestion for north-south traffic, although Airline will be a challenge near-term.

Gosh, I know this is missing some other pertinent info, but it's so long-winded already! PM me if you'd like more info from a 'transplanted' Louisianian!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 17,175 times
South Highlands supposedly a safer community of Shreveport? What is the zip code? House Hunting...

Old 07-22-2007, 10:29 PM

11 posts, read 49,915 times
Bossier is the only way to go...I hate to say it but Shreveport is a hell hole right now and we are not seeing that changing any time soon. The leaders are to worried about being fair then busting the thugs.

Go to Bossier.....we are heading that way ourselves.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:40 AM

103 posts, read 381,229 times
I can not help you with it ,because I live in other country!But wish you a happy future!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 AM

443 posts, read 1,511,980 times
Yep, they were talking about improving the crime situation 10 years ago when I left. It appears as though it has just deteriorated more since then, one has only to drive through the lower Jewella area and read the times on ocassion to figure out things haven't improved. Definately look closely at Bossier. My parents still live in the area, so I'm still pretty current on whats going on over there, nice place to live you just have to make sure you find yourself in Bossier for good schools and a safe area to live in.

Then again, maybe Mr. Glover will all of the sudden be the magic cure for Shreveports woes.

Last edited by DFWMike; 07-31-2007 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 17,175 times
I will continue to monitor Shreveport for improvement. I am still in the research phase, I still have 4-5 years before my 2 sons and I actually relocate. A lot could change in the that time frame.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:32 PM

7 posts, read 159,384 times
you should also look at Haughton there are a lot of nice subdivisions being built and are very reasonable. My brother and sister and law live in a subdivision called forest hills and it is a very friendly safe nighborhood. And the schools are excellent, their four kids love it. If I remember correctly, I beleive they only paid $230,000 for their home and it has a pool. Most people I know say to stay away from Shreveport unless your a young single professional, who enjoys going out alot. For a family I would definetly look at Haughton or Bosser City.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:44 AM

3,248 posts, read 8,691,607 times
Is Shreveport's new police chief going to kick some ass and get rid of those crack hooligan gangs who are trying to destroy the city

PS: S Laksehore area is nice

Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 33,003 times
I hope I'm not to late in answering this post. My husband and I live in SW Shreveport going on 6 years now...in the Southern Hills area to be exact. In the part of Southern Hills that we live in, we haven't noticed any crime or anything out of the ordinary. We actually know most of our neighbors and they are all really nice people. We feel safe in our little part of Southern Hills. Just on our street alone, there is one nurse, 2 fire fighters, and an Air Force family. Not to mention we are Air Force as well :-) I've been reading some of the posts on here about SW Shreveport and Southern Hills and I must speak up for our little part of town. If there is any crime near us, we have not been affected by it yet. We have a great neighborhood watch program as well. I agree with some of the posts where it is mentioned that crime is everywhere you go...no matter where you are. We have some friends that live in Southgate Estates (one of the highly recommended places in Bossier) and just recently found out that there have been 2 or 3 break ins in that neighborhood in the last year. And I also knew a couple that lived in some apartment complexes in Bossier on Industrial Drive and have had their complexes broken into or have had things stolen from them. We knew a family that lived in Quail Creek off of Shreveport/Barksdale Hwy...right near the Air Force Base...a few minutes away from Bossier...and there was crime there as well. A lot of people breaking into cars and stealing things and breaking into complexes. IMO...Bossier isn't any better then Shreveport and vice versa. The crime is everywhere here...no matter where you go. Some may say it is more prevelant in Shreveport...due to everything you see on the news and everything you hear. I just think it's all around SBC.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:52 AM

15 posts, read 77,508 times
We have accepted the job offer and we're definately moving to Shreveport!!!!!! And I can't tell you how excited I am! We been there to visit a couple of times now and loved it! From the moment the plane landed, it felt like home.
Thank you all for helping us figure this one out.
FYI...We hated Columbia, MO....boring. And I DON'T like snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City