U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,000 times

Advertisements

Hello Louisiana,

My family & I are moving to Shreveport, Louisiana in July this year.
We are moving all the way from Alaska.
We have 2 children ages 5 & 2.
My husband & I are in our mid 20's.
We have a moderate income.
My husband does already have a job there.
We have never lived in the "lower 48" & we know it will be VERY different.
We are thinking of renting a place in one of the apartment communities.
We are just looking for any advice about living in Shreveport that anyone has to offer about the good or the bad (We know there are good & bad points to any city).
Any advice about good/bad neighborhoods, schools, entertainment, family things to do, parks, where to go, what the city is like, what the people are like, cost of living, daycares, stores to go to, driving in the city, etc.
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 04:29 PM

237 posts, read 571,114 times
We're moving there, too. Very soon. We bought a house so if you need the name of a realtor, I can DM you ours. She's a developer and has a handle on the market/rentals and was great when we spent a week there house hunting, etc.

I'm in the process of the daycare hunt. A first for me was not finding centers with websites. I've called a few. One was happy to mail me info., another was not sending me a thing. I looked their review up and someone put this year that that center was not welcoming to 'outsiders'. Though my husband is an La. native and a Cajun, we're in the 'outsider' category since the military is bringing us there.

Check the Social Services website to see all the licensed centers there.

P.S. Husband lived in Fairbanks for 2 years. :-)

Good luck with your move.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:45 AM

39 posts, read 306,145 times
I am also moving to the area within the next month or so. We are wanting to remt, but not in a complex, if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,736 times
hi everyone..
seems like we are all new to the city.
My husband and i Just moved to shreveport last week... we have done some reasearch on where the safe areas are before we come here... ppl from other forum recommended the southeast part of the shreveport is safer espeically near the campus of LSU. also bossier city is a good too... it's right next to shreveport. about the apt hunting.. my hobby has tried to call up at least 15 apt. complex and we ended up come to pier landing apt on knight st. because the rent is good comepare with other apt. complex.. only 575 dollars for one bed room. ( not like others' rent is up to 600-900) the size of the apt is spacious.. the manager team is efficient.. so overall it's pretty good.
good luck on the move!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 7,949 times
I am a real estate agent and property manager (homes, not apartments). Southeast Shreveport is known for its safe neighborhoods and good schools. Also the Broadmoor and South Highland areas. Bossier has several nice neighborhoods to the north and south.

The cost of living is well below that of Alaska, and you'll be moving here during the best time for family fun ala festivals, etc., although it will be HOT. If you want to get an idea of what you can buy when the time comes, visit my website http://nestrealtyshreveport.com and click on the Search for Homes button. There you can look to see what the home prices are in this area.

The rental market is very tight right now because of all the military and gasfield workers moving into town for long-term, temporary jobs. I will have a 2/1 house coming available in August for $1200/month as well as a garage apartment for $600. Both of these have just been updated.

If there's anything else you want to know, just send a PM, and I'll be happy to try to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City