Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 13,285 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Sioux Falls for hubby's job. We are looking into Brandon and Harrisburg to buy a home. Please give me some pros and cons to both areas. I am interested in schools, home value, family life, etc.
Thank you in advance. I really would love some input and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 PM

56 posts, read 209,402 times
Both towns are really nice and growing. Both have good school districts and more hometown shopping opportunities than in the past. Both have medical clinics. Harrisburg currently doesn't have a grocery store. The nearest is a few miles away at 57th & Cliff in Sioux Falls. I don't have personal experience to speak from in regards to cost since I'm a Sioux Falls resident but I think that Brandon homes and apartments cost a little more than Harrisburg. Brandon has a nice park in the Big Sioux Recreation Area. Harrisbug is really close to Lake Alvin which is a pretty lake in a State Park.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 PM

4,800 posts, read 6,799,058 times
Both towns are essentially extensions of Sioux Falls. The school district in Brandon is already quite large with the high school about 1/2 the size of the Sioux Falls Public Schools and approx. 300 students larger than SF O'Gorman. Harrisburg's HIGH SCHOOL is approx. 1/2 the size of Brandon, but the lower grades are actually larger. So, if you have very young children, odds are that they will be going to a larger school than Brandon once they reach high school age and will be closer in size to the SF public schools. The kindergarten class this year in Harrisburg was 279 kids.

Town wise, there is a great deal more business in Brandon. Even though Harrisburg has 4,500 people within the city limits, business wise it looks like a town of 1,500. Basically, it's a bedroom community for SF. The town "leaders" have had the unique opportunity to build a community from scratch. Using their infinite wisdom, Harrisburg's growth has been a hodge podge of erratic growth. They started an industrial park and promptly surrounded it (keeping it's growth in check) with fairly low priced residential housing. There isn't a real "main street" in this town with grouped commercial businesses. Brandon has a commercial district with a distinct pattern. Harrisburg quite simply, is a mess.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:07 AM

509 posts, read 1,343,559 times
Harrisburg has expensive water bills each month, we pay about 50 bucks for 2000 gallons, not sure what Brandon's costs are. Property taxes in Harrisburg are about 300-400 more per year than Sioux Falls, again not sure about Brandon though. jmgg is right, Harrisburg is very much a 'bedroom community' I can count on two hands how many businesses are located in Harrisburg, I wish there were more things in town but Sioux Falls is only 7 miles away so you can get everything you need there.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:21 PM

50 posts, read 164,699 times
Both of my daughters live in Brandon and four of my granddaughter are either in school there or have graduated. I personally think Brandon is a really nice family community - there seem to be a lot of family type activities going on any time of the year. Brandon seems to have just about everything - grocery store, drug store, medical clinic, dental offices, banks, several eating places, motels, etc. There are a number of industrial type businesses in their industrial park and the homes seem to start in the lower $100,000 range but I am sure there are some lower priced ones and I know there are quite a few higher priced ones too. Best of all you are a quick drive off I-90 to almost anywhere in Sioux Falls. Personally if I was looking for a place to raise my family again I definitely would look at Brandon.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:34 PM

Thank you so much for the help. We are visiting this weekend and hope to move by Thanksgiving (we have to sell our home here first). We are excited for our new adventure.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:11 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,384,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andlolo View Post
We are relocating to Sioux Falls for hubby's job. We are looking into Brandon and Harrisburg to buy a home. Please give me some pros and cons to both areas. I am interested in schools, home value, family life, etc.
Thank you in advance. I really would love some input and help.
Awesome! I would recommend Brandon, if I had a choice of the two. It has all the amenities you'll need without driving to Sioux Falls.

Like someone else said, Harrisburg lacks a grocery store, and the nearest is 57th Street & Cliff Avenue in SF... About 5 miles north on Cliff.

Harrisburg seems to not have a solid plan growth... They had a sewer system issue, a while back, that had the whole town smelling nasty. I think the town was really surprised at the crazy growth they had.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,887,821 times
I would recommend considering Tea. It has a grocery store and more ammenities than Harrisburg and is a quick drive to SF. It has a couple of parks and its own K-12 system. It is a little more established than Harrisburg.

Harrisburg will have more ammentities over time but is a bedroom community per se. Hopefully if it tops 5,000 people in the 2010 census, it will get some more businesses and services that will help strengthen its draw.

Brandon would be the better choice between it and Harrisburg. Brandon has a strong school system and has the most ammenities of the neighboring communities. It has a good sized-grocery store and several eating places. It has a decent sized park system.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 PM

Default thank you again

I love hearing your input. My hubby and I spent some time in Sioux Falls this past weekend. It really seems like a nice to place to raise our family. We have 3 children, middle school and elementary. We looked for homes and so far I am still not sure where we should be.
I really like "new" homes and developments. The south side of Sioux Falls appeals to me. Brandon is nice, but seems a bit far out.
Question... does South Sioux Falls have the same "stinky" sewer problems? I have heard about the growing pains. I am concerned about the schools in Harrisburg. Any thoughts on Harrisburg schools.

Also, resale is a concern for us. Where is the best area for resale?

Thank you again. I appreciate your help.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,887,821 times
There are parts of southern Sioux Falls that are in the Harrisburg school district. The Harrisburg district is not terrible but is one that is growing fast due to a lot of young couples and those with families moving to Harrisburg and parts of Sioux Falls in the Harrisburg district.

With Harrisburg, it is a good district but the thing that may concern someone is how fast it is growing but the district is aware of the issue and is trying to plan ahead and handle the growth. Much better than most school districts in the state that are losing kids and in areas where the population is definitely graying.

I would probably shy away from the Tea Area school district and think that Brandon, West Central, and Harrisburg would be better ones to go with. Sioux Falls has a good school system.

I would recommend looking at areas of Sioux Falls that have some natural slope or some hilliness to them. Harrisburg and Tea are areas that usually have trouble during wet years due to the high water table, flatness, and soil (heavy clay that does not absorb water too quickly). That is why a lot of the houses in Tea and Harrisburg and parts of Sioux Falls (SW part, which is flatter than most other areas) have partial basements.

The eastern, west central, and NW areas with newer developments have better land drainage than Harrisburg and SW part of Sioux Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls