U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 05:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,719 times

Advertisements

Hi all

A job has opened up in Sioux Falls that is quite tempting but before I apply...or even suggest applying to my wife...I really need to know what SF is like. I've read all I can here and gone to several websites and it looks like it might do the trick. The big question is stuff to do with children. We have a 4 (nearly 5) year old girl, a 3 year old girl, and a 6 month old boy.

I know there's a zoo in town but I'm curious if there is 'other stuff' to do. Yeah...very vague and I'm sorry. I'd hate for us to get there and realize it's not a very kid friendly place...though I don't get that feeling.

Currently, we live in Grand Junction, CO and here they have a Dinosaur Museum, Museum of the West, a Kids Plex, Chuck E. Cheese, what seems like a playground on every corner (no joke..it's nuts!), a small kiddie-type amusement park, etc etc...and of course tons of hiking trails and the like.

Oh, I also pulled up SF on Google Earth and noticed that once you get out of SF proper there appears to be a whole lot of nothing...is that about right? If so, kinda like Grand Junction though the scenery is a bit nicer :P

Thanks for any insight!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 AM

509 posts, read 1,284,459 times
well depending upon what type of activities you want. There is a zoo, Chuck E. Cheese, Falls Park, 10-15 different parks around town to play on, a museum where children can touch things (can't remember the name of it). You can drive 6 hours to the Black Hills and have a lot of stuff to do for a weekend or something. Brookings (an hour away) has some stuff as well I believe. I don't have any kids but this is stuff that I know about, I'm sure others can bring up more options for you.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,099,128 times
Sioux Falls is a great town for little kids. The parks are amazing, plenty of great swimming pools, etc. for the summer as well. No, there isn't a whole lot to do outside of Sioux Falls but there is plenty to do in town. We lived in Sioux Falls when our kids were little and were never at a loss for activities. There was a very active Newcomer's Club when we lived there and I met a lot of great people that way.

The zoo is nice in the winter-they have an indoor Diorama display that is very nice. We went to the zoo at least once/week year round. It is a smaller zoo and GREAT for little kids because you are pretty close to the animals and the kids can see most everything right from their strollers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls