Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,695 times

Advertisements

Dear Forum:
Greetings from NYC. I am a teacher. I am planning to move to South Dakota sometime at the end of this year(Dec 2011) with my family. We want to settle in Sioux Falls.
I have a few questions and concerns…may be this forum could be of some help.
Is the job market relatively good in SD as the low unemployment rate shows? How is the job market in Sioux Falls specifically?
How are the employment agencies in Sioux Falls? Are they really helpful? I am willing to do any job till I get a teaching job so I am pretty much flexible in this regard.
How to make friends in Sioux Falls? How to know people from there? I don’t know anybody there in SD… No friends or relatives.
I came to know that with the exception of north side, all the rest of Sioux Falls is good to live. Is it correct?
If I share an address of apartment complex in Sioux Falls (In the private Message), can anyone tell me what type of neighborhood is that?
I shall be highly thankful for your answers, input and guidance in this regard.
Thank U Very Much! Hope everyone has a happy new year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,690 times
By "end of the year" do you mean school year or calendar year?

If you are a teacher, I would recommend getting registered with the ASBSD Find Teaching Jobs in South Dakota - the ASBSD's Teacher Placement Center (http://teacher.asbsd.org/teacher/ - broken link)

School postings will start showing now for teachers that are looking for employment for the coming school year, plus you will know what you need to do to get licensed here. Not all states reciprocate with SD - not sure if NY is one of them.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 AM

697 posts, read 1,281,035 times
just to warn you- teacher pay in SD ranks 50 out of 51 states(Porto Rico (sp) is even better)

Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 AM

193 posts, read 677,514 times
Is the job market relatively good in SD as the low unemployment rate shows? How is the job market in Sioux Falls specifically?
The job market isn't the worst, it just depends on what field you're talking about. If you look at www.sdjobs.org there are jobs listed daily.

How are the employment agencies in Sioux Falls? Are they really helpful? I am willing to do any job till I get a teaching job so I am pretty much flexible in this regard.
Again, check the state site I listed above. Another good place to look is www.careerbuilder.com
especially for teacher jobs. I have a friend whose son got 2 offers last fall straight out of college. It seems around April/May there is quite a few listings for teachers on careerbuilder. You can also order just the Sunday paper for the Argus Leader newspaper (but I think all of the jobs show up on careerbuilder as well). Their website is www.argusleader.com

How to make friends in Sioux Falls? How to know people from there? I don’t know anybody there in SD… No friends or relatives.
I have found the best resource to start making friends is through work. Also if you attend a church, join a volunteer group, or a place like the YMCA. It doesn't take long, most people are real friendly and open to newcomers around here (I said most

I came to know that with the exception of north side, all the rest of Sioux Falls is good to live. Is it correct?
The north isn't exactly bad to live. There are newer complexes there also. In my opinion, the central and inner east area isn't prime living. Depending on where you work there is always something good, just research the areas once you know where you'll work (unless you like to drive a ways). The southern side is expensive and newer. The west side is very nice (more to the south), moderate income families mostly, nice apartments and townhomes.

If I share an address of apartment complex in Sioux Falls (In the private Message), can anyone tell me what type of neighborhood is that?
I could possibly. I researched Sioux Falls extensively when I was going to move there. I only live an hour away and I do have family there, so I could see.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 PM

697 posts, read 1,281,035 times
teacher opening are always coming out in April/ May cause thats when the district lets it known who is not going to be offered a new contract-- I know this as I was on a school board for many yrs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls