Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 12:42 PM

90 posts, read 291,532 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if they have had a good/bad experience at the Sioux Falls KOA, as well as Rapid City area KOA's. Particularly with their Kamper Kabins. Are the facilities nice? Thanks.

Last edited by SimplyTisha; 04-05-2011 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: To add RC area KOA's the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 05:19 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,946,743 times
I have not stayed at KOA in Sioux Falls but have been by there many times. It is in a relatively safe area of the city. It is close to a couple of gas stations, Hardee's, and the interstate. Not an overly scenic area but would be convenient.

There are a couple of campgrounds south of Sioux Falls: one near Tea (Red Barn, about five or so miles south and a little west), one near the Canton exit (about 13 miles south), and one in Beresford.

Going east and west, the is a camp ground a couple miles east of Sioux Falls along I-90 and one on the north side of Sioux Falls along I-90.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the reply, Chris19. Safe & convenient sound good to me, as we will only be using it as an overnight stop. I prefer KOA's to hotels, because tend to be cheaper and more convenient for this purpose. Plus I get a discount.

Same goes for the Rapid City area KOA. We will only be there one night as well, but we will be getting to it earlier & spending more time in the RC area, checking things out before we move on to WY. So hopefuly it will be a bit more scenic than SF.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 PM

193 posts, read 680,547 times
What's a Kamper Kabin? I've never stayed at a KOA or anything like one, sounds interesting

Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raean View Post
What's a Kamper Kabin? I've never stayed at a KOA or anything like one, sounds interesting
It's better than a tent, but more primitive than a hotel. They are usually little log structures that have a double bed and a set of bunks in them, and not much else. Unless you get a deluxe, which can have tv's, refrigerators, and small bathrooms. Most of the time, depending what region you are in, they have a/c and/or heat.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it on here, but here's a link to KOA. It will do a better job of explaining than I can. www.koa.com

On another note... I have decided to stay at either the Mitchell or Kennebec KOA, simply due to travel distance. They seem, from what I've found online, to be nice, but if anyone has any first hand knowledge of them, shoot it to me.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-07-2011 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Fixed your link so it would work.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 AM

19,728 posts, read 10,539,824 times
I've had friends stay @ Mitchell's KOA, in a cabin. They were happy. They live 20 miles from the campground, and do a campout there with their grandchildren, every summer.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:39 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,223,721 times
The little cabins at most of the KOA's I stopped at, had a little bar-b-q out front so you could burn a burger or two.

In my travels I've seen regular cabins that are simply a cabin with a bed. You bring your own sheets or sleeping bags.

I've seen cabins that they furnish with linen, dishes, pots and pans and have a little kitchenette, and bathroom, with maid service just like a hotel.

So just like mentioned, it depends which one you are willing to pay for.

They usually end up a little cheaper then a motel, but at least you're in a campground with trees, some have streams or ponds, some have evening steak fries, morning pancake breakfasts, etc...

The KOA by where I live, the cabins are usually rented by visitors coming up to fish for a week and want to be able to fry up their catch in the evening.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 PM

193 posts, read 680,547 times
Hmm. sounds pretty interesting. If they allow pets I may have to check those out

Old 04-08-2011, 05:21 PM

19,728 posts, read 10,539,824 times
The cabins @ Mitchell's KOA sleep 4, and pets are ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls