Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,983 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband and I are considering moving our family to Sioux Falls SD. We already have a job and he would work from home but we are looking to leave central wisconsin and journey more westward. Wondering if there is a lot of tornado activity in the Sioux Falls area. Also, what are some good suburb areas to look at as we don't want to be right downtown. Any information would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiliving View Post
Hi my husband and I are considering moving our family to Sioux Falls SD. We already have a job and he would work from home but we are looking to leave central wisconsin and journey more westward. Wondering if there is a lot of tornado activity in the Sioux Falls area. Also, what are some good suburb areas to look at as we don't want to be right downtown. Any information would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
I would scroll back on the SD forum where there is tons of info about where to live in the SF suburbs. The best area for you mostly depends on your financial situation as well as whether schools are a necessity for you. There are a lot of very safe housing developments all over town with very diverse price ranges.

As to tornados, we get our share of tornado warnings in the spring and summer around here. Some years much more than others. So far this year it's generally been too cold yet. A pretty devistating twister hit south of Sioux Falls about 125 miles away in Mapleton Iowa a little over a week ago.

South Dakota is on the northern edge of what's commonly called tornado alley according to the National Weather Service. North Dakota is more or less considered out of main tornado country.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:42 PM

188 posts, read 938,482 times
What jmgg wrote is right on the money, I would recommend to you visiting Sioux Falls several times prior to the move to get the overall feeling of the area. There are plenty of other forums here that goes into details of Brandon, Tea and several other area's near Sioux Falls. As far as tornado activity most of the mid West has had run in's with them, what I have read is that the Sioux Falls area is not as bad as other areas in SD. Sioux Falls has more issues with flooding.
Hope this helps, I've visited Sioux Falls a dozen times from MO in the last year or so and will be finally making my move next Month.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 7,895 times
North Sioux Falls is generally the older part of town and more "slummy" but nothing to worry about. The east and west sides of town are practically two different cities. The west side is more congested due to the Empire Mall and major retailers along 41st St. The east side has a more small town feel, but there's a ton of development going on (new Target, movie theater, etc. as a part of a new outdoor shopping mall) so don't expect that to stay that way. The south is where a lot of new housing development goes on...albeit the "real nice" houses where the wealthier people in the city go to live.

As far as suburbs...Tea, Brandon and Harrisburg...take your pick. All are about 1 or 2 miles from the Sioux Falls city limits. Haven't heard anything terrible about any of them and they all seem to be booming. Sioux Falls will engulf them in the next 10 years (Tea is practically Sioux Falls' back yard if you check maps).

Don't be afraid of our downtown! A lot of people from here are afraid of it, but there is barely any crime (if any) around there. We've got a fantastic downtown situated along the river, with plenty restaurants and nightlife options. The core of the city is the best thing about Sioux Falls. I've lived on the east side my whole life, but lived on the edge of downtown for about 6 months a couple years back...I miss it!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,895 times
And as far as violent weather...it's rare, but it can happen. I can count on one hand the times that the tornado sirens went off in the last 10 years. It's not like living in the heart of Oklahoma. Nevertheless, we do get our fair share of thunderstorms every year...but nothing to lose sleep over.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 AM

3 posts, read 9,983 times
Thank you everyone for your feedback and suggestions! We are hoping to come visit sometime in the next few weeks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
View detailed profiles of: