Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:34 PM

69 posts, read 283,342 times

Advertisements

that is what originaly grabbed my attention to Sioux Falls, they are at the top of every good list and the bottom of every bad list that comes out. which is just the opposite of the Dallas / Ft.Worth area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 PM

193 posts, read 786,398 times
That's great!! I hope you still set your sights on Sioux Falls because of those reasons. It's nice that I am able watch the news and laugh because all they really can talk about is the weather.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 PM

6 posts, read 14,910 times
It is true that every place does have room to improve. I can agree with that. No, Texas wasnt perfect but I never had my car broken into there. Ive already been broken into in Sioux Falls and so have my neighbors! I have found that the people here are generally very nice which is a plus. I really wish someone would have told me (truthfully) what to expect here. It is MAJOR culture shock. I should have worded my comments about jobs differently. There are jobs but as someone else mentioned they are medical/banking/call center for the most part. I have yet to find anything other than the movies and parks to do in Sioux Falls. Hopefully, eventually I will. I guess to each his own.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:05 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Klindshill, do you feel that things will improve in time? They often say it takes up to two years to readjust to a move. I wouldn't know specifics, but I'm sure a move from TX to SD does take a lot of adjustment.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:43 PM

509 posts, read 1,349,763 times
A thing that I don't like about Sioux Falls is the downtown club/bar scene, where I went to college in Mankato, MN, (obviously a college town ) there were about 10 bars/clubs downtown in walking distance which was nice, here thats not really the case, I know that people have issues with alcohol etc, but I think that you might a better downtown scene if you have a club district, just look at Minneapolis and other larger towns, especially if they want to put the events center downtown. I know this will like be a 'hot topic' but before anyone says anything, I gave up 'college' drinking (drinking alot over short times) over a year ago and completely a couple months ago.....

Old 09-10-2008, 06:40 AM

230 posts, read 626,450 times
Much of the "transition" to a new place depends on your age and personal situation as well. Being in the Army, I have moved 12 times in the last 18 years to all parts of the world. I went from San Antonio, to Fort Riley Kansas, to Afghanistan, and winded up in Sioux Falls in a span of 18 months. When I was younger, I wanted to go to the places that were more active and had a nightlife. Now that I've been married for a while and have a young son, that perspective is quite different and some restaurants and parks are great things.

Sioux Falls for me has been great and the community and pace of life couldn't be anything more for me. Are there things about the bigger cities like San Antonio that I miss ?? Of course, but it's about the big picture and for this 38 year old with a family, I find it hard to complain. I'm sure someone younger may have a completely different opinion on the matter...

Heck I'm even looking forward to the change of season and some snow...

Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM

All of this is true and really good points, I moved to Dallas at 21 specifically for the club and music scene and have had a really good time over the last 16 years, but now at 37
with a wife and kid, I am looking for a more family friendly place and a little slower pace.
both the wife and I do drink, but our idea for a fun weekend is having some friends over
for a cookout, drinking and playing darts, taking my son to the park and playing / watching football. We like to go out out eat , but not to clubs anymore.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:35 AM

oh yeah, as for jobs, I am a supervisor for a call center in dallas now, and my wife works for state farm, so I hope I will have a pretty good chance of finding something up there. I make nice money here, but the insurance kills me

Old 09-10-2008, 12:45 PM

230 posts, read 626,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantoutoftexas View Post
All of this is true and really good points, I moved to Dallas at 21 specifically for the club and music scene and have had a really good time over the last 16 years, but now at 37 with a wife and kid, I am looking for a more family friendly place and a little slower pace.
both the wife and I do drink, but our idea for a fun weekend is having some friends over
for a cookout, drinking and playing darts, taking my son to the park and playing / watching football. We like to go out out eat , but not to clubs anymore.
Exactly what I was referring to earlier. Where before I was looking for the best sports bars and clubs with great drink specials, I am now concerned with getting my son tickets for Sesame Street Live. By the way, I got front row !!! I can't wait to see the expression on his face when he sees Elmo up front and personal !!!

My wife and I find time to go to cookouts, the dirt track races, and the occasional evening together (movie and some drinks)... However, we find equal, if not more pleasure, in taking our son to the park, Falls Park, and the slow pace of life here in Sioux Falls.

Hope you and your family find the same pleasures my family has !!!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:23 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantoutoftexas View Post
oh yeah, as for jobs, I am a supervisor for a call center in dallas now, and my wife works for state farm, so I hope I will have a pretty good chance of finding something up there. I make nice money here, but the insurance kills me
Car insurance should be a lot cheaper here. South Dakota and Iowa have some of the lowest premiums in the country. A lot of it is due to less traffic and people having better driving habits, sometimes I question that when there is a sunday driver who likes to drive 45 mph on a two-lane rural highway and some hot shot kid driving 75-80 mph on a similar highway somewhere else. Overall, I think that it is with the lower traffic volumes and more sensible drivers than in other parts of the country.

Many things here are lower than national average, except for food, gas, and utilities. Food and gas are typically about average, some places cheaper and some more pricey. Utilities may be higher here than in other places with the colder winters (use of natural gas) and hot and sometimes humid summers (using the AC).

Overall, wages may be a bit lower than other places, but it does not takes as much money to live here as it would in 2/3rd of the other places in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls