Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:50 AM

69 posts, read 283,502 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm stuck down here in Texas and I want out I have lived here for the last 15 years and before that lived in Florida for 20 years. I am not the biggest fan of the Lone star State and will be moving in the next year. I have visted Sioux Falls before, briefly (1 day) I have done all the research, visted all the sites, even had them send me a relocation package. and I have
read all the info on the message boards, But here is what I want to know. Besides the cold winters ( which is fine, I like cold) what are the down sides of Sioux Falls, you know, the bad things that you don't get on the websites?
and I know someone else also asked, what are the areas to stay away from?
any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 10:00 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,469,838 times
We live about 75 miles west of Sioux Falls. There is an area of Sx. Falls that can flood during heavy rain, but I don't know where it is. Hopefully someone else here will be able to tell you that. I really can't think of a lot of things bad about Sx. Falls except of course, I don't care for our cold winters. They have so many opportunities and they have a bit of culture and they have some beautiful places to spend a day. Their cost of living is reasonable, except for rent, IMHO. They have plenty of employment opportunities, no traffic jams, friendly people, nice scenery in their parks, low crime compared to a lot of the country, etc. They have two hospitals that are top notch. I'm sorry that I can't help you, but the only downsides I know of are the cold and snowy winters and the area that can flood. Sorry I can't really answer your question.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 34,154 times
About that flooding thing....

Jammie, you make it sound like housing is completely ruined, etc.

What's really flooding is a couple of the streets... just can't remember which ones. As far as i'm aware, this isn't an issue with land development such as building in low level areas... I think it has to do with the city's gutter and sewage system. They are aware of it, but I also couldn't really tell ya if there is a plan of action. I'm sure somebody is working on something somewhere.

Pretty sad eh? The worst things we can talk about in S.D. is 'Cold Winters' and a couple of 'Flooded Streets'.

hahahah

Wantoutoftexas: Where do you live in Texas. It just so happens that one of my best friends if from Texarkana (spellcheck that). He moved up here some 10 odd years ago, and likes it. Recently he went through some stuff that prompted the idea of moving back (unrelated to SD)..... and he REALLY didn't want to. He was concerned for quite sime time. Luckily though, things are working out.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:42 PM

Stitch, it is sad that we can't really come up with many negatives for Sx. Falls, isn't it? When I read through some of the posts from other states, I wonder if some of the things are really that bad there or if some of the people are just that negative. Since I've never lived anywhere else, it's just hard to tell.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:36 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,859,685 times
Default Wantout

Maybe it would help if you told us what you don't like about Texas. Good and bad are ambiguous terms and mean different things to different people. A few specific items that you do not want to put up with could be helpful.

uh

Old 08-30-2006, 05:14 PM

31 posts, read 109,356 times
As a person that grew up in Rapid City, lived in MN for awhile, then came back. I can tell you NOT to discount the cold winters! I love being West River because of the occasional 70 degree January day! I don't mind winter, but it is nice to get a break occasionally.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:00 PM

First off let me say thank you for all the responses, and some very good points have been made. I did say I like the cold, but of course coming from Florida and Texas, I haven’t really experienced any extreme cold like -20 or snow fall for several months. So I do intend to bundle up, but I’m not afraid of the cold either.
I live in Dallas right now, and some of the things I want to get away from are 1) the traffic, I don’t care if it’s 2 am or 2 pm you can not go anywhere without a traffic jam 2) I like to camp, but I don’t like the lack of natural lakes and bodies of water, there are only like 3 in the entire state that haven’t tried up, and the lack of wilderness and trees is just obnoxious , and yes if I went south so say Austin I would find more trees and nice water, however that leads me to #3) lack of work, we have a very high unemployment rate one of the highest in the country, mainly due to the influx of immigrants willing to work for less, which is also fine, if you can find someone cheaper so be it, everyone deserves an opportunity, but that brings me to #4) lack of people that speak English, now I’m fine with speaking 2 languages But I think you should at least be able to speak English, and far to many time I have gone into a local store asking for something and gotten the response “sorry no English” and get bounced around, finally just leaving without what I came for .
And I am also looking for a little slower pace of life with a good community setting to for me and my wife to raise our 5 year old son.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:29 AM

Hey sdgjax, welcome to the forum. There have been questions about your area and I think that all of us are from the eastern part of the state. We've probably all been over there, but aren't familiar enough to answer a lot of questions about it. We just love it out there.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:41 AM

OutofTexas~

1. You won't have any traffic jams in Sx. Falls. The traffic seems fast paced to me at times, but I come from a town of less them 15,000 people. Sx. Falls traffic will be no comparison compared to what you're used to. There are actually no traffic jams there. Everyone can easily keep moving at all times.

2. You won't be far from lakes, campgrounds, nice outdoor parks, etc. Your outdoor life should be fine there.

3. Sx. Falls has a very low unemployment rate and there are even places who give a hiring bonus after 6 months of employment. I don't know what you do for a living, but employment shouldn't be a problem there. Actually, what you're describing that leads to unemployment for Americans isn't ok. American jobs are made for LEGAL Americans.

4. I've never heard anyone in Sioux Falls NOT speaking English. I'm sure there are people who speak a second language and that's fine, but English will be the primary language spoken over there.

Slow paced~there will be no comparison compared to the larger cities. You'll feel relaxed and if you can handle the cold, you'll have no problems there. I hope this isn't premature, but Welcome to So. Dak.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the info, work should not be an issue, both my wife and I have fairly good jobs that allow us to work almost anywhere and make a decent living. Forgot to mention the very high crime rate and amount of pollution here in Dallas, not to mention the high cost of living, so those are also thing's I am trying to get away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls