Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 01:27 PM

127 posts, read 193,402 times

Advertisements

It looks like Sioux Falls is the proud owner of a new 12,000 seat events center. I was a little bit surprised by the relatively large seating capacity of 10.2 for hockey.

Is this mostly for concerts and conventions? Is it possible that Sioux Falls might have aspirations of an AHL hockey team at some point in the future? It would definitely be on low end of the totem pole as far as market size is concerned (at least 2% of the metro would have to come through the gate for 40+ home games). However, the town is bustling, there's not a lot of competition, and the western NHL teams have expressed a desire to get their farm teams closer to home.

Is there any potential for this league in SF, or is the USHL a much better fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 08:29 PM

193 posts, read 679,299 times
Anything is possible in Sioux Falls at this point. I think with the new center they will be looking to add anything that is profitable and feasible for the events center. I'm really surprised that it passed to be honest, so we'll see what it brings to town

Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 AM

4,884 posts, read 6,974,304 times
I was somewhat surprised that it passed. With the red ink track record of the already existing Washington Pavillion, it's hard to differentiate the two when comparing potential tax payer subsidizing. With the larger venue, it could turn into a bigger money pit.

That said, I myself am looking forward to it. I'm hoping the city leaders can back up their claims that it will be profitable.

If this was built approx. 7 years ago, we could have had 2 full time tenants in the University of Sioux Falls and Augustana College for football. Over the last few years both institutions have built there own fields so kiss them goodbye.

It has just been announced that the SF Skyforce D league professional basketball club will not be there either as they're going to T. Denny Sanford's latest shrine to himself at the new Sanford basketball complex. Another steady tenant gone.

As to getting an AHL hockey team, I don't see this coming anytime soon. Sioux Falls and South Dakota in general is not strong hockey country unlike ND and Minnesota. Popularity of the sport over the last 10 years has grown considerably (basically from nothing). It still has quite a way to go to support a league above where the current SF Stampede play.

Right now, I would say the odds of this thing being self sufficient aren't good. Better get some Lady Gaga concerts in there quickly after it's built.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:45 AM

15,949 posts, read 12,341,365 times
Swiftel center was a great thing for Brookings, it's always good to have venues like this to hold concerts and the like. Of course if I owned a house and had to pay high property taxes to pay for it I might think differently, or even worse, if the state went and had a state income tax implemented to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls