Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 AM

10 posts, read 17,665 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I am entertaining the thought of a possible relocation to SF with Wells Fargo. I am originally from the East Coast, moved to Dallas, TX 3 years ago.. and now am looking to move up in my career. I have been in the mortgage banking industry for a few years and was recently contacted by Wells.. had no idea they corporate offices in S. Dakota lol ..

Few questions:

The position starts at 30k, which seems low.. however is that really low considering the cost of living? It is less than what I am making now, but the position is good for my career moves..

I have no issues with snow, I grew up in PA and have learned to deal with it.. I am more concerned with the lifestyle/culture etc being FAR different from what I have been used to .. can anyone provide some insight on this?

What are some good areas to live in/around SF for a single late 20's female?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 AM

146 posts, read 359,115 times
Depends what the job duties are but 30k sounds low for someone in their late 20s who's got a few years under their belt in that industry. It's true that the cost of living is pretty low here and you'd make it fine as a single person but I started out higher than that straight out of college.

I've never lived outside the Midwest but I'm sure the culture here will be pretty different than what you're used to. People are generally conservative, "family values" oriented, church going, etc. Sioux Falls is a bit more liberal than other areas but you're still in South Dakota... I don't fit that particular description though and I get along just fine. There are venues and areas to hang out where you'll fit in but they might be a little tough to find. The flip side is that people care about their neighbors, most people are friendly, crime is very low, homeless and poverty rates are low.

There aren't many "bad" places to live and the city isn't so big that there's a huge difference between areas. Are you looking to buy or rent? I used this site back when I was apartment hunting. Sioux Falls Apartments, Houses, and Homes Rental

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpress View Post
Depends what the job duties are but 30k sounds low for someone in their late 20s who's got a few years under their belt in that industry. It's true that the cost of living is pretty low here and you'd make it fine as a single person but I started out higher than that straight out of college.
Yes.. I agree the pay pretty much sucks, and definitely is a pay cut for me. I am trying to look at it as a stepping stone into different avenues of my career that Im looking to move towards, and also keeping in mind that Wells Fargo is a good company to work for. I am looking to rent, not buy .. thanks for the link to the website. I want something newer and everything I have been finding on apartments.com looks really shabby ..

Thanks a lot!!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:57 PM

Maybe you can negotiate up to 35-40k?

I haven't been in the rental market for a few years but yes there are a lot of shabby apartment buildings around town. I'd stay away from the huge complexes and anything under $700/mo if you can swing it. In the $500-600/mo range you're probably going to deal with some undesirable areas/buildings/neighbors. Although I did rent a pretty nice duplex for $475 from a small landlord and had a great experience. I found that one on http://www.lovemyrental.com

Old 01-23-2012, 06:44 PM

34 posts, read 71,829 times
I'm a late 20's married female and from what I'm seeing, mrpress is right. Below about $800/month seems to be not all that great.

I am from the south and moved here from PA, so sounds like we have a bit in common. It seems there is a good bit of diversity in SF. Good luck if you decide to move!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:33 PM

509 posts, read 1,351,784 times
It depends on what you're looking for lifestyle, are you into bars, clubs etc? you can probably find apartments near downtown in the lofts for around $1200, if not there are apartments that are 2 bedrooms for about $700 month at other areas of town, town isn't that big that it would take that long to get from one end to another and their are taxis and buses, the corporate offices are in the north, northern part of town I believe, where their call center is, they also have a big building downtown.
Lloyd Companies Apartments, Homes, and Commercial Real Estate Sioux Falls South Dakota - Apartment Search
This would be a good start, Lloyd Companies are a big renter here in Sioux Falls. When my wife and I first moved to town we stayed in a Lloyd managed building and it was pretty good service...

Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 PM

Good point deadwoodj, WF offices are on Benson Ave and downtown so you probably wouldn't want to live on the south side of town. Lofts downtown are nice but not cheap. I would not recommend anything north of downtown unless its on the NW side of town.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:01 PM

On that kind of salary I would want to stay under 850'ish for rent .. I really have no debts, CC's are all paid, and car pmt is really the only thing I have ( i have been preparing for relocation for a while! lol) .. I wouldnt say I love to go clubbing and hang in bars.. but I do enjoy happy hour and an fun night out once in a while. Other than that I like to go shopping, movies, dinner with friends.. the regular thing. What areas of town would be best for that type of lifestyle? I also do not want a shabby apartment.. is 850 going to get me that? :/

Thanks so much for all your help guys!

P.S How is the weather these days ..

Old 01-24-2012, 04:14 PM

509 posts, read 1,351,784 times
Oh yeah 850 is more than enough for a good apartment check out Golden Valley apartments on the east side of sioux falls at 26th and Sycamore, we used to live there and paid about 630 for a 2 bedroom apartment that allows pets. There are plenty of apartments that are cheaper than that are nice.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,341,365 times
850 will be no problem. I rent for $515 in Brookings (while making over $19) which has a bit of a scarcity in housing and apartments still. Sioux Falls should be no problem in that price range. 850 would damn near get you the top of the line, just built last year, with health club and hot tubs, pool, underground parking, etc. here in this town... that or a house. I don't really feel like coughing up the dough for that, and the snap fitness is only 2 blocks away for jogging and weights.. and the people around me are quiet.. I don't want to rock the boat, gamble, and get loud neighbors.

Never been a bar/club person so I can't help you there. Sioux Falls is easy to navigate for the most part, so you can live pretty much anywhere in the city and not have a long commute.

Most of Sioux Falls growth has been due to banking, because of the lax usury laws combined with a business friendly climate, so if you're into banking, Sioux Falls is definitely a good choice, though I'd prefer Rapid City for climate and the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls