Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:05 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,664,867 times

Advertisements

I never knew it was subsidized. That's very interesting to know. I always thought it was lower because corn was just plain cheaper.

Learn something new everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 07:50 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,879,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I never knew it was subsidized. That's very interesting to know. I always thought it was lower because corn was just plain cheaper.

Learn something new everyday.
Well Danny, it's just like everything else. Start up costs are astronomical but will become a lot cheaper over a short period of time, once they work the kinks out.

For instance, in the Navy, they come out with a new Sono-Buoy. It was code named Cadilac because they didn't subsidize the company. So when it first come out, they were over $5000 each. The cost is why they called them Cadilac's. Every time you dropped one out of an aircraft, it was like buying a new car. But within 2 years, the cost was down to $150 each.

So the Gov has granted them money for a period of time so that they are competitive but can still afford to do some more R&D to get things cheaper. I'd say in the next 3-4 years, it will naturally be cheaper.

The big turmoil was when they started taking billions of bushells of corn off the eating market, and the foreign market, just to shove in a refinery for gas, they put those markets in jeopardy. So they did two things. They subsidized farmers to grow more, and the subsidized the manufacturing.

How about that? Government did something good. haha

Old 02-28-2008, 09:08 PM

230 posts, read 624,587 times
Well, Coke is also called "pop" in Cincinnati as well and I know people from upper Noew York that also call it "pop". Anyway, things are going well for me and I still can't get over how more often than not, people are very polite and nice. I wear my Ohio State and Cincinnati hoodie a lot and it always seems to strike up a conversation.

I went into work today and I think I will like it there. The people all seem pretty nice and the job isn't close to being as stressful as my past year had been. Bottomline is, I get to go home to my family every night and after that, there is no reason to be unhappy with being here.

Thanks for all the input with the questions !!!

Mark...

Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 PM

Well, hopefully they can subsidize wind energy here in South Dakota too. That would really be great!

Glad to hear all's going well Mark!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:29 AM

9 posts, read 33,624 times
The ethanol industry is also subsidized through the establishment of tax increment financing (TIF) districts. I learned more about TIFs last year than I really cared to know because an ethanol plant is going to be constructed one mile from my house in Sherman. A TIF district is established to assist companies with start-up costs in blighted areas – areas perceived to be in need of economic growth. For a set number of years (20 in the case of the ethanol plant near Sherman), the company pays property tax on the value of the property at the time of purchase. Property tax assessed on the increased value of the property is used to grow the business, and is not paid to the State. We were told that no ethanol plant is built anywhere without a TIF district being established first. Whether or not the Sherman area is actually “blighted” is subject to considerable debate. The news media came to town and took pictures of two abandoned buildings on main street. They were careful not to show the many well-cared for homes in town. City leaders from Garretson, five miles south, were leading the band wagon. Garretson, whose economy, if not thriving, is stable, stands to benefit far more from an ethanol plant in the area than tiny Sherman will.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:21 PM

Holy crap, I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have asked that question... Kidding...

Mark...

Old 03-01-2008, 08:58 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,410,232 times
hmm you are Active Army and in the medical field in Sioux Falls? Where abouts?

Sioux Falls really doesn't offer much at all, especially if you grew up in Cinny (I grew up near Canton, OH and finally moving out of South Dakota in April) I own a house about 35 miles South of Sioux Falls

If you like Italian food, hit up Johnny Carinos

Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 PM

Sioux Falls is great compared to the last year in Afghanistan and will be a nice place to be before I retire in 3 years.

Another question for you all that's a little less serious...

Why do they paint lines for people here to park between in the parking lots ??

The reason I ask is, it seems that no one here knows what the hell those lines are for !!! Regardless of where I go, people are parked all crooked, take up two spaces, or some craziness... Like I said, less serious...

Mark...

Old 03-04-2008, 01:39 AM

Haha! Welcome to South Dakota! I don't think the DMV teaches parking very well... or even at all! There's always one bumpkin with his 4 ton dually pickup that just has to mess it all up for the rest of us!

Once he leaves, the parking lot is still all messed up!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,390,449 times
I have a funny youtube video that I found... not sure if I can post the link? Jammie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls