Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:22 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,892,056 times

Advertisements

I agree with Jammie and Traveler, Tea is a good suggestion. It is a progressive community and has a bright future. It has over 3,000 people currently. It has a nice grocery store, 24 hr gym, 3 financial institutions, 2 convenience stores, pizza restaurant, sports bar, steak house, and more service businesses to come. I would also suggest Harrisburg. It is another nice community that is close to Sioux Falls. The northern edge of Harrisburg to Sioux Falls is two and a half miles approximately going on Cliff Ave. Harrisburg has a ton of homes popping up (From 950 in 2000 to 2800 current according to city website) and is a community with a lot of young couples, like Tea. Brandon is another good town. It is a fast growing town, but has mature areas and has more amentities than Tea and Harrisburg. Brandon is a city of approximately 7500-8000 people. These towns are welcoming of newcomers and are up and coming communities just outside of Sioux Falls.

It would be good to google the city webistes to learn more about what the towns are like and what they have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 12:02 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,299,182 times
Chris, excellent suggestions.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota (SD) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

CD has a site with quite a bit of info and the link is above. I just checked and the towns that were mentioned are right on the Sx. Falls page for nearby cities. It's a pretty handy site to find out different towns in an area.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:45 AM

230 posts, read 624,257 times
Hello again from Afghanistan !!!

Sorry I've been away, but I was back home on midtour leave for a while and then when I came back to Afghanistan, out internet was knocked out. I really appreciate all the responses and assistance !!! I will continue to research all the info you all have posted for me here and let my wife know about it as well.

A couple more months and I get to come home for good !!! My wife and I are really excited about the move and I hope to continue talking to you all. Thanks again !!!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:29 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,299,182 times
It's great to hear from you again, Mark. Hope you're doing well and just jump in to chat whenever you have internet access. My prayers are with you and your family and I hope these months go by quickly for you.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:50 PM

118 posts, read 517,811 times
Things have changed since I lived in S.F. I was in Jr. High back in '76 and went to Edison. We lived on Spring between 16th and 17th and were almost always allowed to walk up to the Taylor's Pantry on 18th and Minnesota after dark. It seemed like a safe place. One thing I do remember about the area is the murder of a guy down the street, past the railroad tracks, his room-mate beat him to death with a hammer. YIKES.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:41 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,657,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie_2 View Post
Things have changed since I lived in S.F. I was in Jr. High back in '76 and went to Edison. We lived on Spring between 16th and 17th and were almost always allowed to walk up to the Taylor's Pantry on 18th and Minnesota after dark. It seemed like a safe place. One thing I do remember about the area is the murder of a guy down the street, past the railroad tracks, his room-mate beat him to death with a hammer. YIKES.
Are you saying that Sioux Falls has gotten worse or has gotten better?

Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,892,056 times
Sioux Falls is making effort to clean up the residential area west of downtown and there were two run-down homes already torn down and the city is working with the neigborhood to clean up the area. The city is bound to have a few areas that need improvement, like any city of size, but is safe and clean overall. A few random incidents like the ones that stevie_2 is mentioning is limited in Sioux Falls (unfortunately they happen) and is not indicative of the city overall. I feel safe in the vast majority of areas in Sioux Falls.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:29 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,387,576 times
Default sioux falls

congrats on the choice to move here.... Sioux Falls is an awesome place to live...not too big, but not too small... It all depends on how much you wanna spend... Harrisburg, Tea, and Brandon are small cities nearby, and excellent if you want a small town feel. As for Sioux Falls itself, I would avoid living in the downtown area, and the area just west and north of it. If you have any other specific questions, let me know, I'd be happy to help!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:45 PM

1,934 posts, read 5,790,394 times
I would definitely check out the East side of Sioux Falls - I always thought the people on the east side were much more down to earth and friendly than other parts of town and some neighborhoods are more affordable there esp. if you're a starter family. There are great neighborhoods, parks, and schools on the east side, and there is a little more diversity there as opposed to the 'cookie cutter' uppity feel (hope I'm not offending anyone here) of the southern parts of town.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:10 AM

18,691 posts, read 41,853,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Mark View Post
Hello again from Afghanistan !!!

Sorry I've been away, but I was back home on midtour leave for a while and then when I came back to Afghanistan, out internet was knocked out. I really appreciate all the responses and assistance !!! I will continue to research all the info you all have posted for me here and let my wife know about it as well.

A couple more months and I get to come home for good !!! My wife and I are really excited about the move and I hope to continue talking to you all. Thanks again !!!
To you sir. My hat is off. I spent my time in Viet Nam. Lasted until who flung the chunck in Desert Storm. Did what I could. My son just come home from Iraq. Damn Jar Head. I was a swabby.

Look forward to you being home and safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls