Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:58 PM

230 posts, read 626,450 times

Advertisements

Hello again and here's to hoping you all had a Happy Thanksgiving !!! My team and I had some really good food brought to us out here in the middle of nowhere and had a pretty good dinner for ourselves, so no complaints.

My wife just got back from about 5 days there in Sioux Falls and she was very pleased. She went on and on about nice all the people were and she had no trouble finding a nice 3BR twin home for us. She sent me all the pictures so I felt like I actually was helping, but she's all over it and we are happy as can be !!!

50 days from tomorrow and I will be back for good (Not that I'm counting) and the family is looking forward to the move. She said it was pretty cold there, so that is going to probably be the biggest challenge for me. I spent the past year in the desert and the past 8 before that in Texas, so the cold and I don't exactly get along... Such is life, I'm not concerned as I will get to come home to my family every night when we finally get there !!!

Well, just wanted to take a little time and say hello. Here's to wishing all of you and your families a very blessed and safe holiday season from this Army Soldier !!!

Mark...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 PM

118 posts, read 519,000 times
Danny-
Can't really say if it is better or worse. It has been years since I lived there. I was only saying it seems to have changed. The area I spoke of living in seemed perfectly safe (excluding that one noted hammer incident) at the time, but it appears people think a lot less of that area now.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Mark, it's so good to hear from you again. It's fantastic that you guys had a nice Thanksgiving Dinner. That's the least that you deserve for being away from your families and doing the things you have to do. DH and his bros were in the service so I know it's no picnic in the park. Just know that we appreciate your sacrifices.

Glad to know that your wife has found a house in Sx. Falls that you both like. Oh and don't even get me started on the weather here. I've been a lifelong resident and as I've said before~I'm the official winter weather whiner of the Dakotas. We aren't having a pleasant day weather-wise. Cold, snow, sleet, etc. It sounds like you will have quite an adjustment to make with the cold and all, but you've got such a good attitude that you will do fine. Yup, at least you'll get to be with your family and live in a new house and new city, etc. Sx. Falls is a pretty nice town.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:47 AM

Ok, getting closer and have some more questions in regards to Sioux Falls...

#1. Does anyone recommend one cell phone company over another (signal strength, customer service, plans, etc.) ??
#2. Does anyone recommend an internet company (roadrunner, local company, etc.) ??
#3. Is there more than one gas and electric company and if so, once again, any recommendations ??

Just some simple things I'm trying to get taken care of before we get there. Anything I can get done prior to my family getting there is a good thing and allows me more time to spend with my family... Thanks...

Mark...

Old 12-03-2007, 09:36 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times
hey Mark,
1. Verizon & Alltel have excellent coverage in SF...as for South Dakota as a whole, I would have to say that Alltel has better coverage. I've heard bad things about Sprint, mainly bad coverage. I have Verizon, and I'm happy with it.

2. Midcontinent is the main cable company here, and I recommend them. The other ones are Qwest and PrairieWave. A co-worker has Qwest, and isn't happy with it. I have Midcontinent and haven't had any problems with them.

3. Not completely sure, but I know theres Xcel Energy, based out of Minneapolis, and Sioux Falls Electric. My apartment complex uses Xcel...and I don't any complaints against them.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times
For cell coverage, I agree with mat with Verizon and Alltel having excellent coverage. There are a number of people who are either Verizon or Alltel, but Verizon appears more popular with the people here.

For cable, I have experiences with both Prairiewave and Midcontent. I am currently with Prairiewave. Midcontinent has a little more to offer, but is a little higher. Both have good customer service and have decent service. Between the two, I would pick Midcontinent.

Xcel Energy is decent. I have them in Lennox. They had issues in Sioux Falls in the 2001, 2002, and 2003 area with too many power outages around the Empire Mall area, but it seems like the company has those kinks worked out. When there was a power outage several weeks ago, I called Xcel and they had the outage fixed within a couple of hours. There are some areas in southern Sioux Falls that have Southeatern Electric and I have not heard too much on them.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:53 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times
in response to chris...
Prairiewave is definitely a growing company...they probably have a website... a definite alternative to midcontinent

and Xcel has definitely had issues...there was a period of time where it was a power outage every other week...but lately, i havent heard of any....

Old 12-04-2007, 12:32 AM

745 posts, read 2,209,371 times
In response to your first question, I'm sort of facing the same question now, though in a different area, but I've done a lot of looking around on the subject, and if you're options are alltel and Verizon, I use both and would recommend alltel. Both generally provide good coverage and have good customer service, at least in my experience where I travel, but the alltel plans are a lot better. In most places they even roam for free off of each other if you lose a native signal. But alltel usually offers more minutes for the price and has better bonus features like My Circle, the unlimited to any 10 numbers, while Verizon, at least in my humble opinion, has a business strategy of marketing a ton about how good their network is, and offering the customer less features/calling for the price. When I compared for my situation, for the $69 family plans with 2 lines, with alltel you can get 900 anytime mins + the My Circle, free nights, and free mobile-to-mobile. With Verizon for the same price you get 700 mins, free nights, and free mobile-to-mobile which is pretty significant when you think of how many minutes you can get out of 10 numbers for an equivalent price.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:46 AM

Do any of you have Direct TV or know anyone that does ?? I was curious what, if any problems you or they have experienced ?? That is the way I would really like to go, seeing as how I am a HUGE football fan and want to be able to watch the games on Sunday !!!

Mark...

Old 12-08-2007, 07:57 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,497,140 times
dishnetwork, here, in Sanborn County, costs less...................
plus we can ''pick up'' local channels, eliminates seperate antenna, for kelo, ksfy, kdlt & public.
we aren't able to get ''local cable''............but in Sioux falls, I think you can get internet thru your ''cable'' company.............did i see qwest advertise phone, cable and internet as one package?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls