Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:10 PM

230 posts, read 624,257 times

Advertisements

Just a quick update...

Instead of sending us to Kuwait, where it is nice and warm and no issue getting in and out of, the Army decided it best to send us through Kyrgystan (southern Siberia) where it is neither nice or warm... It hasn't stopped snowing since we got here on Sunday and the current temperature of -23 isn't real tropical. They must be getting me prepared for Sioux Falls weather !!! Anyway, due to the weather, we aren't leaving until this coming Sunday and are stuck like Chuck !!! I'm staying awake through the night to get back on track with the timezones, since I have nothing else to do with my time...

Everything else is well and we are just playing the waiting game. Just wanted to drop a line... Talk to you soon...

Mark...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,299,182 times

Mark, I was wondering how you're doing and when you'd be back on U.S. soil. How surprising that they sent you guys to such a cold area after coming out of a sauna.

It's just good to know that you're out of the war zone and are on your first leg of heading home. Sunday isn't far away, but it probably seems like forever for you guys. Good luck and stay warm and be sure to keep us informed.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:54 AM

19,720 posts, read 10,442,797 times
Thinking of you!

Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM

15 posts, read 71,994 times
My dh was in Kyrgystan 2 years ago. It was cold, but the people were very friendly. I pray everything goes well for you. Yes, that should prepare you for the SD temps for SURE!!

Best wishes
Q

Old 01-25-2008, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Mark View Post
Hello again everyone !!! Well, we are getting close (a little better than a couple of weeks) and things are going well for us. I do have another question for the people in Sioux Falls though...

I would like to know if any of you have heard of any of these pediatricians:
Dr. Michael Elliot
Dr. Christiane Maroun
Dr. Rick Kooima
Dr. Shannon Hoime
Dr. Wilfredo Veloria
With the Military healthcare the way it is, these are the ones listed for me to choose from. There were about 3 more, but they weren't board certified. If anyone can lend some assistance about the above listed names, it would be greatly appreciated !!! If not, so be it and I thank you anyway !!! Hope you are all enjoying the New Year !!!
Mark...
I've never used any of these pediatrician, but I have a friend who did. This is what she had to say:
Dr. Rick Kooima was our pediatrician, and we also saw Dr. Elliot when Dr. Kooima was unavailable. I liked both of them. We also saw a woman doctor once. She had an accent, so I'm guessing it may have been Dr. Christiane Maroun, if she is practicing at McGreevy (An Avera clinic) with the others. I was really impressed with her as well. We switched to our new doctor, not because I was unhappy with Dr. Kooima, so that we would all have the same doctor (before, the kids had one, I had one, and DH had a different one).

I've also heard good things about Kooima from other moms. I've delivered only at Avera and I like the hospital--our insurance is through Avera. Sanford's top of the line too.

We LOVE Sioux Falls. We would be hard press to leave it and my immediate family is in OH too. Welcome! and THANK YOU!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:25 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,892,056 times
Good luck and God bless. I wish you a safe and good trip back to the states and Sioux Falls.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:56 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,387,576 times
As Chris said, Good luck and God Bless...hoping on your safe return

Old 02-02-2008, 01:23 PM

230 posts, read 624,257 times
Ok, a little late on the update...

We got out of Kyrgystan last Friday and after a few days of outprocessing, I made it back home Tuesday. It is great being around the family again. My little dude has gotten so big it is just amazing. Funny thing was when we all met up at the welcome home ceremony, he was in the stands clapping along to the National Anthem. It was so cute !!! Bad part is, he's been sick with an ear infection and all my time staying up while in Kyrgystan has been shot as I've been staying up with him here through the night. I figured I have been gone for most of his 15 months, so I will stay up with him and have my wife get some well deserved sleep !!! He's feeling better today...

Well, the movers are coming on the 12th and we should be in Sioux Falls soon. I'm looking forward to it !!! I just wanted to make sure I let you all know how things have been going. Take care and I will talk to you all again soon...

Burgy, thanks for the info on the Doctors !!!

Mark...

Old 02-02-2008, 02:07 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,299,182 times
http://bestsmileys.com/fireworks/5.gif (broken link)

Alright!!!! Welcome home, Mark!! When I read your post I actually breathed a sigh of relief just knowing your were back in the U.S. Some parts of the world kind of scare me. I'll bet your family is SO happy and so at ease now that you're home.

Sorry to hear that your little guy isn't feeling well.

Do you mean you're moving to Sx. Falls in Feb.? I didn't realize you'd be moving this soon after getting home.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:52 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,387,576 times
Good to hear Mark! I hope you find Sioux Falls a great place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls