Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 08:28 PM

327 posts, read 595,067 times

Advertisements

We're going to be moving to Sioux Falls hopefully within the next few months and I was just wondering, what are some good places to check out when we (my child and myself) first arrive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,859,411 times
What are you looking for?

uh

Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 PM

We like small shops that sell cute little things for the home. Craft places like maybe if there's a ceramics place where you can paint things. And some cool parks to check out. Walking trails that are nice.

Also, is there any area we should avoid living in, in Sioux Falls?

Old 03-19-2012, 04:02 PM

193 posts, read 678,368 times
Here's a few ideas:
arts & crafts:
Color Me Mine - How To Paint Ceramics
fun stuff:
https://www.washingtonpavilion.org/Online/
neat place:
http://www.siouxfalls.com/fallsparkdetails.cfm (broken link)
downtown stores for neat things:
Shop
website with other local favorites:
The Local Best (Sioux Falls Area (SD))
and of course, my favorite
Menu | Sioux Falls Famous Dave's

Living: I didn't live there long, but researched neighborhoods quite a bit. I found the southeast (below 26th street), the south, and the southwest and northwest to be the most inviting areas with having kids.. just my own opinion. I lived in the southeast area for awhile.. wasn't bad at all. Prices get a little higher the further south you go, so depends on what you can afford too. Personally, the southwest was my favorite (starting at the interstate 29 and going west from there).

Hope you find it fun.. there's alot to do once you're new.. it's only after time that people don't think there's much to do (some anyhow).. but there really is alot if you like to check different things out.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:15 PM

15 posts, read 39,722 times
There is an Irish gift shop downtown I've always wanted to check out. You might find interesting too.

There is also Queen City Bakery. Great atmosphere and great deserts there plus it's locally owned!

Tuthill park is arguably one of the favorite parks in Sioux Falls. Sertoma park as a pretty nice playground too and the Sertoma Butterfly House and outdoor campus are right there too.

The waterfall is also nice. The Pavillion can be worth checking out. Oh the walking trails in town are some of my favorite anywhere! Unfortunately I think there is still a lot of construction on them like there was last summer (which is a bummer). Those trails (especailly more toward the East side of town) are beautiful! They go up by the waterfall, many of the parks and playgrounds, and the Statue of David replica.

Also, Nick's Gyros on 41st St is a locally owned restaurant. Great food too. Only downside to that place is that they either don't have a bathroom or I am just too stupid to find it.

Plenty of chain restaurants in town too. I'd go more into restaurants in general but I don't think you were looking for suggestions on that to begin with...

Old 03-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raean View Post
[/url]

Living: I didn't live there long, but researched neighborhoods quite a bit. I found the southeast (below 26th street), the south, and the southwest and northwest to be the most inviting areas with having kids.. just my own opinion. I lived in the southeast area for awhile.. wasn't bad at all. Prices get a little higher the further south you go, so depends on what you can afford too. Personally, the southwest was my favorite (starting at the interstate 29 and going west from there).

Hope you find it fun.. there's alot to do once you're new.. it's only after time that people don't think there's much to do (some anyhow).. but there really is alot if you like to check different things out.

O we love Color Me Mine and Famous Daves! Glad they got those 2 familiar things out there! Thanks for all the links, I'll for sure check those out. And thanks for the heads up on the areas as well

Old 03-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsdsf View Post
There is an Irish gift shop downtown I've always wanted to check out. You might find interesting too.

There is also Queen City Bakery. Great atmosphere and great deserts there plus it's locally owned!

Tuthill park is arguably one of the favorite parks in Sioux Falls. Sertoma park as a pretty nice playground too and the Sertoma Butterfly House and outdoor campus are right there too.

The waterfall is also nice. The Pavillion can be worth checking out. Oh the walking trails in town are some of my favorite anywhere! Unfortunately I think there is still a lot of construction on them like there was last summer (which is a bummer). Those trails (especailly more toward the East side of town) are beautiful! They go up by the waterfall, many of the parks and playgrounds, and the Statue of David replica.

Also, Nick's Gyros on 41st St is a locally owned restaurant. Great food too. Only downside to that place is that they either don't have a bathroom or I am just too stupid to find it.

Plenty of chain restaurants in town too. I'd go more into restaurants in general but I don't think you were looking for suggestions on that to begin with...
Wow! Thanks for all that info! We're nervous (I think I am more so) but pretty excited about moving out that way. I've been out there once before but that was YEARS ago, but I sure am looking forward to showing my child the falls. I remember one time when I was out there they would shine colored lights on the falls. Do they still do that?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:55 AM

4,880 posts, read 6,945,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRay View Post
Wow! Thanks for all that info! We're nervous (I think I am more so) but pretty excited about moving out that way. I've been out there once before but that was YEARS ago, but I sure am looking forward to showing my child the falls. I remember one time when I was out there they would shine colored lights on the falls. Do they still do that?
They still do. In fact, all summer long there's a laser light show every weekend with a narration about Sioux Falls as well as pictures reflected against one of the old historic quartz building's wall. People show up just before dark with their blankets and find a spot to picnic and wait for the show.

It's all projected from the observatory that was built at the falls.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:08 PM

15 posts, read 39,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRay View Post
Do they still do that?
Like the previous poster said, they do that, and it can be nice, but when you go, bring lots of bug spray. I went there with a couple of my siblings and the mosquitoes were pretty bad.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 PM

That's awesome! And thanks for the advice mnsdsf! I'll make sure to bring some
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls