Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:00 PM

25 posts, read 45,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Frankly, your favorite spots probably wouldn't be the same as mine as you are the age of my kids.

I have some friends that own a sports bar called Overtime that's also very popular with younger adults. There are multiple sports bars all over town that quite frankly are clones of each other. All have decent menu choices and have TV's hanging from every corner. A couple other places I like to eat at that are restaurant/bars and somewhat upscale are Cherry Creek, TC Referees, and McNally's Irish Pub. More pricey restaurants if you're trying to impress a date that are very good are Minerva's, CJ Callaways, Tres', and Spezio's. The town is absolutely blanketed with the chain eating places. You name it, we've got it. One exception is we don't have a Hooter's. Hopefully this will be rectified in the near future. I really like their wings.

A really cool place with a limited menu is Monk's. They feature almost any imported beer available in the U.S. You can't get a Bud Light in there though.

Downtown Sioux Falls in the summer is especially nice. Lots of variety as to stores and eating places. Musicians are playing outside of many establishments.

If you ever find yourself wanting a big steak for a reasonable price (and very little atmosphere) go to the Tea Steakhouse in the suburb of Tea which is approx. 4 miles outside of Sioux Falls.

We have a concert and entertainment venue called the Washington Pavillion that is downtown. It's gorgeous. Many big name musical and comedy acts are booked there. I've seen both George Carlin and Bill Cosby there.

One unique place that you will want to see is the Falls of the Big Sioux River. It's just off downtown and is what the city was named after. It's quite picturesque. Sioux Falls also has what has to be one of the nicest and largest zoos for a city of it's size. Part of the zoo is the Delbridge Museum which has what once was the worlds largest privately owned animal collection in a taxidermy state. It's a great zoo, but when it comes to zoos, someday take a trek south 175 miles to the Henry Doorley Zoo in Omaha, NE. I've seen where that zoo is ranked right with San Diego and Busch Gardens as the best in the United States.

As to the nightclub scene, as I said before it's all over town. I don't follow that anymore. There are several coffeehouses around town.

There aren't any major colleges in town. There are two Div. II colleges in Augustana College and the U. of Sioux Falls. There is also a couple of lower level professional teams in Sioux Falls. The one of note would be the Sioux Falls Skyforce which is a Development League basketball team owned as the minor league feeder for the Miami Heat NBA team.
Cherry Creek and TCReferre are upscale bars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 03:19 PM

4,886 posts, read 6,980,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdythecowboy View Post
Cherry Creek and TCReferre are upscale bars?
Everythings relative. They're not the Log Cabin or Wild Wooley's . The real "upscale" places I stated as being more "pricey".

Old 04-11-2014, 03:28 PM

164 posts, read 283,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourgogne View Post
Hi everyone,

I am single guy in my mid-30's who grew up in Los Angeles but have lived in NYC, Boston, and currently Philadelphia, who will be moving to Sioux Falls for a job in healthcare in a few months.

I don't know much about Sioux Falls except that it is an average-sized city with a relatively young population and that it is cold. I typically enjoy walking around the city, eat out, go out to bars, live music, performances, museums, tennis, and running.

I will be pretty busy working but will I be able to find things to do when I am free? Is it a friendly place where I can make new friends? How are the the people in general in Sioux Falls?

Also, I am thinking of living in downtown because I like to be near restaurants and coffee shops, etc. Is that the best place to live?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you
If you are not for a promotion, please do not come.

South Dakota is a hell for young people seeking fun.

I know an Asian guy from NYC move to Sioux Falls for a promotion in banking industry.

Just one year, he moved back to NYC. His feeling is "pressured" there and even deep south small town makes him feel better.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:50 PM

Outside of Sioux Falls. Yes. Nothing to do. Full of simple closed minded people

Sioux Falls itself, I disagree.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:25 PM

13 posts, read 52,378 times
Hi rowdythecowboy,

Thank you so much for your all of your insights, recommendations, and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it. I was a little apprehensive about coming to Sioux Falls mostly because of not knowing the city very well. It's great to know that there are many things to do in the city. I am looking forward to moving there in August.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:32 PM

Hi xhgz,

Thank you for your post. That is one of the fears that I had about moving to Sioux Falls. It seems like there are many different views of Sioux Falls. I'm not sure how to feel but I'm optimistic and am hoping for the best.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourgogne View Post
Hi rowdythecowboy,

Thank you so much for your all of your insights, recommendations, and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it. I was a little apprehensive about coming to Sioux Falls mostly because of not knowing the city very well. It's great to know that there are many things to do in the city. I am looking forward to moving there in August.
Let me know if you have anymore questions about the city and I'd be glad to help

Old 06-04-2014, 09:36 AM

Hi,

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful replies.

I was in town this past weekend and found a great loft downtown. I'm looking forward to moving there.

I have a few questions:

1) Which bank is the most convenient to do banking with? With the most ATMs in the city, etc.
2) Which internet provider/cable company should I go with?
3) Are there any farmer's markets in town?
4) Are there any running trails in the city?
5) Are there any other practical information that I need to know before moving to Sioux Falls?

Thank you all once again.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:54 PM

188 posts, read 939,729 times
1. We bank with Great Western Bank, haven’t had any issues in the last 4 years since we moved here.

2. Only one I know of in town, Midcontinent Communications

3. Yes, Farmer’s market runs every Saturday and Sunday next to Falls Park during the Summer, there’s another location downtown next to the railroad tracks.

4. Yes, they are listed on the city of Sioux Falls website.

5. Sioux Falls is one of those cities that you will either love or hate, the biggest thing we miss from other places we have live are:
A. The diversity that cities the same size or bigger than Sioux Falls offer.
B. Locals do not accept outsiders very well.

If you haven’t already research all of the positive and negative comments about Sioux Falls within City Data, it’s a great source of information.

Good Luck with your relocation and welcome to Sioux Falls.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:50 AM

Peperosso,

Thank you for your helpful insights. I have only lived in large cities (LA, Boston, NYC, Philadelphia) and this will be my first time living in a smaller city in the midwest. I hope that I will like it in Sioux Falls. I am trying to learn as much about the city as I can to prepare myself. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls