Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 01:47 PM

38 posts, read 225,140 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I lived in Sioux Falls for only 9 months, but I will post my experience. I do this for most of the places I've lived. It's VERY cold in the winter and hot & humid in the summer. Which is why exercise is not really a way of life for most people there. You'll notice that when you see the majority of obese people frequenting the buffets year-round.

Falls Park is a very nice place to visit. The bike path around the city is the best feature of the city and I used it a lot - it links multiple parks, the zoo, and the river and it's very well maintained. That being said, it's pretty much the only thing to do outside if you like to get out and exercise. There are a couple local parks with non-paved trails for running but you have to drive about 15 min to get to them depending where you are in the city.

I was impressed by the Farmers Market and the availability of raw milk, which I miss dearly. But it's very hard to find good, local, sustainable food and businesses, which I think is getting better. The Co-op is a good place to shop, and HyVee has a pretty decent selection of organic foods.

Utilities and cost of living are extremely low. The people are very nice, but a little closed-minded and many haven't been outside of the city or state, so don't expect them to understand your situation if you're new to the area. Moving around is not a way of life out there. Farming is...and there is some good beef, pork, and milk to be consumed.

I enjoyed my time in SD, but it wasn't for me. I need hiking trails and things to do other than drive on country roads and visit over-crowded lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 09:33 AM

92 posts, read 218,108 times
Pretty good analysis but a few points:

1. When you go to buffets you tend to see obese people there and when you go to gyms you tend to see fit people. To me Sioux Falls is a modestly fitness-oriented community. I don't see a lot of obese people on my side of town.
2. Where are these close-minded, nontravelers? Everyone I know gets the heck out of Dodge every chance they get.
3. No one from Colorado likes corn country.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:53 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire904 View Post
exercise is not really a way of life for most people there. You'll notice that when you see the majority of obese people frequenting the buffets year-round.

it's pretty much the only thing to do outside if you like to get out and exercise.

The people are very nice, but a little closed-minded and many haven't been outside of the city or state, so don't expect them to understand your situation if you're new to the area. Moving around is not a way of life out there.

I need hiking trails and things to do other than drive on country roads and visit over-crowded lakes.

Hypocrite much?

Old 01-16-2016, 11:50 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio2 View Post

1. When you go to buffets you tend to see obese people there and when you go to gyms you tend to see fit people. To me Sioux Falls is a modestly fitness-oriented community. I don't see a lot of obese people on my side of town.
2. Where are these close-minded, nontravelers? Everyone I know gets the heck out of Dodge every chance they get.
Scorpio..I sent you a direct message....can you respond? Thanks

Old 01-16-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire904 View Post
Hello,

I lived in Sioux Falls for only 9 months, but I will post my experience. I do this for most of the places I've lived. It's VERY cold in the winter and hot & humid in the summer. Which is why exercise is not really a way of life for most people there. You'll notice that when you see the majority of obese people frequenting the buffets year-round.

Falls Park is a very nice place to visit. The bike path around the city is the best feature of the city and I used it a lot - it links multiple parks, the zoo, and the river and it's very well maintained. That being said, it's pretty much the only thing to do outside if you like to get out and exercise. There are a couple local parks with non-paved trails for running but you have to drive about 15 min to get to them depending where you are in the city.

I was impressed by the Farmers Market and the availability of raw milk, which I miss dearly. But it's very hard to find good, local, sustainable food and businesses, which I think is getting better. The Co-op is a good place to shop, and HyVee has a pretty decent selection of organic foods.

Utilities and cost of living are extremely low. The people are very nice, but a little closed-minded and many haven't been outside of the city or state, so don't expect them to understand your situation if you're new to the area. Moving around is not a way of life out there. Farming is...and there is some good beef, pork, and milk to be consumed.

I enjoyed my time in SD, but it wasn't for me. I need hiking trails and things to do other than drive on country roads and visit over-crowded lakes.
First, I understand your points. I retired after 35 years in Northern CA and moved back to Sioux Falls Nov. 2. Regarding "obese people"...I do think the cold keeps people from some exercise, but heck, i belong to a club two blocks away and one can certainly jog outside during nicer weather, etc. So, I d on't think it has as much to do with the weather as it does with the individual's own desires, etc.

I think Sioux Falls is in transition from a large town to a medium sized city so it's becoming more diverse and more stimulating, but sure, it's not a Denver yet. There are tons of restaurants, though, and a lot of good ones...lots of sporting events....and seems to me a ton to do in summer....you just have to figure out how to "do" winter...I'm hoping to be gone enough....maybe take off mid Jan for a month or two...we shall see...

Old 01-16-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio2 View Post

What's funny is if you go look at her posts beginning with 2008 her and the significant other have lived in about a million places in the US. And didn't like any of them apparently. Note to kiddies: "No place is perfect. You might want to look inside yourself." Ahem.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:25 PM

168 posts, read 256,281 times
Sioux Falls has really become two cities. One is as the OP describes. Obese, ignorant, intolerant, sort of the red state stereotype. There is a pretty diverse population in SF if you go look and it depends on where you frequent. There are intelligent, liberal, thoughtful people here but you do need to sort of seek them out.

I purposely avoid places like buffet restaurants, Walmart, Menards etc. That is sort of red stater territory. Places that would offend the sensibilities of the typical conservative tend to be less populated by that side of the population.

The parks system here really is fragmented and limited. So outdoor activities are sort of limited unless you like to hunt, fish or sit in a boat on a crowded lake/river.

The cost of living isn't really lower vs. some place like Mpls. It would be cheaper than Colorado. Last time I looked housing was more expensive in Denver etc. than Mpls. Minnesota does have an income tax but gives some decent tax breaks if your income is lower. Property taxes in most of Mpls/St. Paul are lower than Sioux Falls and the suburbs here.

If you have lived in a vibrant city, Sioux Falls can be pretty boring by comparison.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:04 PM

51 posts, read 88,140 times
From the time I spent on Sioux Falls, I found it was a different world than what I was used to. I spent most of my time on the side of town that was near the mall etc... It seemed that people were a lot more friendly than in my home state of IL. I was not used to people at like Walmart just striking up a conversation. I couldn't figure out if people were just mocking me, or just generally interested in talking with me. I tend to think it was genuine.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:36 PM

265 posts, read 686,679 times
I found out that the people of Sioux Falls were decent quality. I had a dog when I traveled there so went to dog parks and found very friendly dog folk there. I found things to do. Wish I stayed longer.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:39 AM

56 posts, read 68,391 times
odd to hear you say the summers are humid(you should use the dewpoint as the proper stat), its practically in the middle of the dry arid zone of the states

as someone whos about to leave Florida after 5yrs, where the dewpoint is never lower than 70s, even the so called wet Portland/Seattle area is never higher than 50s which is still the "comfort" zone, everything east of the rockies are the drier air till you get down near texas, or the east coast

is OP just over exaggerating or is it actually muggy all during the summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls