U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 07:20 AM

6 posts, read 45,352 times

Advertisements

I live in Sioux Falls, and have lived in Phoenix and MN in the past as well. It's a nice safe town (I have NEVER heard a gunshot here or seen a drug house). Here's my opinion tho...first the good: Sioux Falls is about the safest place you could live, it's quiet and I haven't seen ANY crime or addicts. There really isn't a slum neighborhood anywhere, but downtown probably is the worst part of town, seems to be a few drunks around, but that's about it. They are currently trying to "redo" downtown for the better. Somebody stated earlier that you should stay away from the airport and the prison area...absolutely NOT true...I live on the north side now, and have lived in both central and the south side before. I like it up here the best...there is a lot less traffic, and it's VERY quiet, clean, and nothing to worry about ever. Jobs are plentiful here, and real estate is affordable. Plenty of affordable rentals here, too. Cost of living is very low.

Now the bad: Sioux Falls stinks, literally...I think it's from the John Morrell plant, but since the first day I was ever here, I thought it stunk here, especially if the wind is just right. It's not every day, everywhere...but I smell it a LOT. Next, if you like to fish, forget it...I think there is one lake close to Sioux Falls, but nothing to brag about. I find it's really boring here, nothing to do...nowhere to go hiking...no "woods" or anywhere that you'd want to go hiking or camping. It's flat and boring, not pretty, and basically ugly. The people are pretty nice generally, but I found they DEFINITELY do NOT go out of their way to say "hi" or whatever, it's not that easy to make new friends in my opinion.

The only reason I came here was for family, but won't be staying. The husband found a great job here, and that's why we're still here. If not for that, I'd be outta here in a heartbeat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 05:33 PM

89 posts, read 193,203 times
JustMovedHere:

I moved here from the Pacific NW about a decade ago so it was definitely a shocker for me too as it is completely different. I can't disagree with your "good" and "bad" statements but I can try to help you cope.

First off, the smell. I live and work in the SE part of town and I literally smell Morrell's twice a year. If you live in the north than I'm sure it's present much more often. Any chance you can move down this way??

As far as the bleak, dreary winter landscape. Well basically, Sioux Falls is a city on the prairie and that's not going to change. Some people like it and some don't. I will say that this town has the best autumn anywhere. Crisp air and leaves, football and marching bands, hunting and the harvest moon. In the Pacific NW- fall was soggy leaves, fog and rain - yuck!! I lost my mountains and ocean in Seattle, but I get beautiful sunsets, starry nights, alot more sunshine and awesome thunderstorms!

I am an outdoors guy myself and it's definitely lacking right around here. So I cope by camping/backpacking in the badlands and the Black Hills. I fish in NE South Dakota and at the Missouri River. I drive up to Canada once a year for the walleye. If you're willing to drive about 60 miles from SF's, there is some fishing. Places to camp - Lake Pajoha, Lake Vermillion, Newton Hills, Palisades - these are all nearby. I also ski at Great Bear which is a fine little hill for practicing.

People here are not very sociable when they're out and about in public but they usually make good neighbors. In my neighborhood, we have picnics and we sit out on each other's porches and drink wine/smoke cigars.

Also, SF's has more arts and entertainment every year. Have you checked out the symphony, theatres and Jazz and Blues Society??

I sure hope you can learn to appreciate the positives here in SF's. I know it took me some time but I honestly like it more and more the longer I'm here. If that doesn't happen to you - life's too short to stay somewhere and be miserable.

Good Luck

Old 02-18-2008, 04:29 PM

193 posts, read 751,324 times
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences of Sioux Falls thus far. I'll have to agree, the stench of Sioux Falls can be bad at times, but be thankful you don't live in Sioux City!!
We moved here four years ago from Lake Havasu City, Arizona, for family as well. Ahhhh....gotta love family, right?!?!?!
I think Sioux Falls has quite a bit to offer with the wonderful 27 mile round trip bike trail system through town, hiking trails at Great Bear Recreation area, and Falls Park. I thoroughly enjoy these places in the summertime. I have to admit that in the winter (right now) I am absolutely bored and dying in Sioux Falls. Hello?!?!?! To want to pay $7 per person to go to a lame boat show at the convention center???? Doesn't sound like fun to me. If there were some killer cool boats there, I would be more than willing to go. I have been there in the past and have been pretty let down when the best boat at the boat show is a 24 foot Crownline. Don't get me wrong, those are decent boats---just not nice enough for a boat show where you have to pay to get in.
There are good and bad about every place in the US. I have yet to find the perfect place to live. My husband and I are currently looking for it.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:25 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,559,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMovedHere View Post
I live in Sioux Falls, and have lived in Phoenix and MN in the past as well. It's a nice safe town (I have NEVER heard a gunshot here or seen a drug house). Here's my opinion tho...first the good: Sioux Falls is about the safest place you could live, it's quiet and I haven't seen ANY crime or addicts. There really isn't a slum neighborhood anywhere, but downtown probably is the worst part of town, seems to be a few drunks around, but that's about it. They are currently trying to "redo" downtown for the better. Somebody stated earlier that you should stay away from the airport and the prison area...absolutely NOT true...I live on the north side now, and have lived in both central and the south side before. I like it up here the best...there is a lot less traffic, and it's VERY quiet, clean, and nothing to worry about ever. Jobs are plentiful here, and real estate is affordable. Plenty of affordable rentals here, too. Cost of living is very low.

Now the bad: Sioux Falls stinks, literally...I think it's from the John Morrell plant, but since the first day I was ever here, I thought it stunk here, especially if the wind is just right. It's not every day, everywhere...but I smell it a LOT. Next, if you like to fish, forget it...I think there is one lake close to Sioux Falls, but nothing to brag about. I find it's really boring here, nothing to do...nowhere to go hiking...no "woods" or anywhere that you'd want to go hiking or camping. It's flat and boring, not pretty, and basically ugly. The people are pretty nice generally, but I found they DEFINITELY do NOT go out of their way to say "hi" or whatever, it's not that easy to make new friends in my opinion.

The only reason I came here was for family, but won't be staying. The husband found a great job here, and that's why we're still here. If not for that, I'd be outta here in a heartbeat.
Sioux Falls is a nice place and I agree that there are some drawbacks, coming from a resident who has lived in the area for most of my life. People in Sioux Falls are reserved, but most people are good-natured people and generally mean well. People around here may come off as being too reserved and distant, but getting involved in actvities such as church, sports, and the like will help you get to know some very good people and develop friendships. Meeting people at times takes effort and it is not improssible to do in Sioux Falls.

There are outdoors opportunities around, but one has to find the hidden gems. There are several state parks within an hour or so from Sioux Falls. The Palisades SP (northeast of Sioux Falls), Newton Hills SP (south of Sioux Falls), Lewis and Clark Lake (Yankton), Walker's Point/Lake Madison (Madison), and a few other state parks are great places to fish and hike in this area along with camping. Lewis and Clark Lake is along the Missouri River and is an hour southwest of Sioux Falls and is an excellent state park with a lot of trails, campsites, good fishing, boating, swimming, and all around outdoor fun. Newton Hills, by Canton, has a lot of woods and hiking tails. It is an awesome place to camp and hike. You can check them out on the South Dakota Game Fish and Parks website South Dakota State Parks Official Homepage.

The city has a bike trail system and would be good to check out. For its size and being in the Midwest, it has a worthy park system.

Sioux Falls is flat in a lot of areas but is hilly in the eastern edge of the city.

If you give Sioux Falls a chance, it will grow on you and you will feel connected.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,146,332 times
The only time I've smelled the John Morrell plant is when I'm driving right near there. You don't smell it outside of that very small area... and like Chris said, you have to travel outside the city to get scenery, much like other cities.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:04 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,559,544 times
Falls Park has really cleaned up in the past 10 years and there are more beautification plans in the works. Sioux Falls has some pretty areas (most being near the Big Sioux) but there are many fine state parks and recreational opportunties nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls