Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 02:17 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Well, if it helps, my personal opinion is that New Jersey is the armpit of America.

Why wouldn't you want to leave and go ANYWHERE else?

(If you do come here, maybe don't tell other people that you're from NJ.)
If I could afford it I would glady move to either of these "armpit houses" in New Jersey.

https://www.trulia.com/p/nj/alpine/8...20--2006647862

https://www.trulia.com/p/nj/alpine/1...20--1150850956

Or maybe I would get an ocean view house on the beach.

https://www.trulia.com/p/nj/spring-l...62--2006970301

The problem with kids growing up in Sioux Falls is that they will never see the ocean unless they get on an airplane or take a very long drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 02:17 PM

92 posts, read 218,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
According to the city data crime stats Sioux Falls has 142 rapes/100,000. Not one or two.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...th-Dakota.html

Compare this to Paterson which is one of the worst places in NJ. Its only 56/100,000 for the most recent year listed.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Jersey.html

In a very nice place like Ft.Lee NJ the rate was only 5/100,000 for the most recent year and 0 in many of the previous years.

Also a recent 2018 article from a local site states that Sioux Falls has a higher crime rate than New York City.

STATISTICS: Sioux Falls, Rapid City violent crime rates higher than NYC's | News | KELO Newstalk 1320 107.9
So there was 284 rapes in Sioux Falls in one year (Approximate population is 200,000). Thanks for enlightening me because I didn't read about them in the paper. I will pack my bags and take my family to New Jersey and NYC where we will be safer.

Last edited by Scorpio2; 05-28-2018 at 02:27 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 02:27 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
Skewed statistics, as (according to the OMB), Paterson and Fort Lee are both part of the New York City Metropolitan area and cannot be considered separate or self-sustaining cities, while Sioux Falls is a completely separate, self sustaining city. So, for an accurate comparison, let's compare the crime statistics for the New York Metropolitan area with Sioux Falls. Huh-oh!

Folks, I used to live in New York City. I've lived in 15 different states - east, west, south and north. I'm not from South Dakota. I've only lived here for three (3) years. Maybe I'm more snippy than a typical South Dakotan!

There's simply no comparison. New Jersey is vile. South Dakota has it's flaws, but high crime isn't one of them.

PS - I don't think a member of the Lakota, Dakota or Nakota tribes (three separate though related groups) would appreciate being referred to as a "native". Really. Don't do that.

PPS - If someone loves New Jersey, yay and God Bless them! They probably want to stay there.

PPPS - If a child or anyone from South Dakota is in the mood to see the ocean, they're not going to say: "Oooh! Let's go to New Jersey!" That's HILARIOUS! They're going to say - Let's go to Maine, or, let's go to Hilton Head, or let's go to Miami, or, let's go to the Padre Islands, or, let's go to San Diego, or, let's go to the Oregon coast! South Dakotans have relatives all over the country and all over the world, but I doubt if they'd be willing to admit it if one of their family lived in NJ.

PPPPS - this is the most exciting the South Dakota forum has gotten in months, if not years, if not ever!

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 05-28-2018 at 03:01 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 03:18 PM

92 posts, read 218,060 times
My ire was raised by the OP's title of the thread "Is Sioux Falls really that bad?" Come on really - she's looking for the right answer so she doesn't have to move. Or she's a flamer. This was her first thread on CD.

Anyway I like your style 601halfdozen - not snippy at all.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:39 PM

517 posts, read 1,051,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Apologies for an off-topic question, but what's so bad about Des Moines?
It feels more aggressive. The people are just not as nice as the the Dakotas and Minnisota. Also, for me it is too big. I like a college town of 25,000 or so. My house is in Nacogdoches Texas, I work and have an apartment in Sioux City Iowa. While Sioux Falls is 10 times bigger than I like, it is so nice that I would make an exception. Also, the people in Des Moines, and most of the large cities in Iowa tend toward being trashy. I.E. There is more trash on the streets and the place is just not as well kept as Sioux Falls, Fargo, Saint Cloud and the Twin Cities.

There are nice small towns though, and Ames, while fairly large is nice.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 05-28-2018, 05:24 PM

22 posts, read 53,886 times
Quote:
Alarm! Alarm! Sioux Falls is full of machete-toting jackalopes! They eat babies and burn down houses! There are tornadoes every day! There are cancer causing spiders! The ticks will get into your brains and turn you into zombies! There are no schools, only corn factories filled with child laborers making corn! (Where else do you think corn comes from?) The grocery stores only sell lutfisk and we force you to eat it! Your neighbors will put hidden cameras in your house and spy on you! Bats will fly around inside your house and bite you in your sleep! In fact, there are no houses - you have to sleep outside with only bearskins for covers! In fact, you can't even have a bearskin, you only can curl up on the ground next to a burr filled burdock. Cowboys riding camels will shoot poison arrows into your tires as you drive down the eerily empty streets! In fact, there are no cars; you must hop everywhere you go! There is nothing to do and nowhere to go because East Coasters are put into gulags the moment they cross the border into South Dakota. And we never let you out! You are OURS now. Will we eat you? Will we perform experiments on you? Will we set you loose in the Badlands and watch you sizzle in the sun? You never know. Anything is possible!
Omg really ?! Is there anywhere I can rent a army tank when I get there?! Do they sell bulletproof vest to the public?!. I think I’ll just bring some garlic and and cross, that’ll do it ! Lolll!

Old 05-28-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio2 View Post
My ire was raised by the OP's title of the thread "Is Sioux Falls really that bad?" Come on really - she's looking for the right answer so she doesn't have to move. Or she's a flamer. This was her first thread on CD.

Anyway I like your style 601halfdozen - not snippy at all.
If you only knew how much I actually want to go . Me and my SO are always debating about if it’s a good or bad move. I just finally had to get some real opinions and reviews about SF to end the confusion between us. The articles are reallyyyyyy bad that’s why I said “that bad”.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
According to the city data crime stats Sioux Falls has 142 rapes/100,000. Not one or two.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...th-Dakota.html

Compare this to Paterson which is one of the worst places in NJ. Its only 56/100,000 for the most recent year listed.

In a very nice place like Ft.Lee NJ the rate was only 5/100,000 for the most recent year and 0 in many of the previous years.

Also a recent 2018 article from a local site states that Sioux Falls has a higher crime rate than New York City.

STATISTICS: Sioux Falls, Rapid City violent crime rates higher than NYC's | News | KELO Newstalk 1320 107.9
Thanks for your response! May I ask if your from South Dakota? Or the east coast ?

Old 05-28-2018, 05:48 PM

517 posts, read 1,051,873 times
Quote:
Skewed statistics, as (according to the OMB), Paterson and Fort Lee are both part of the New York City Metropolitan area and cannot be considered separate or self-sustaining cities, while Sioux Falls is a completely separate, self sustaining city. So, for an accurate comparison, let's compare the crime statistics for the New York Metropolitan area with Sioux Falls. Huh-oh!

Folks, I used to live in New York City. I've lived in 15 different states - east, west, south and north. I'm not from South Dakota. I've only lived here for three (3) years. Maybe I'm more snippy than a typical South Dakotan!

There's simply no comparison. New Jersey is vile. South Dakota has it's flaws, but high crime isn't one of them.

PPPPS - this is the most exciting the South Dakota forum has gotten in months, if not years, if not ever!
Probably because someone got snippy. For the midwest this thread is like turning over busses in the intersections and burning tires in the streets.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:19 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
Lichick, while I don't live in Sioux Falls, I've visited it hundreds of times for various reasons. It's always seemed like a nice, clean city, and the people I've talked with have been friendly. Yeah, really! (Some of you should be ashamed.)

In looking at the stats that were provided, it is indeed surprising to me, and I can't explain it. Sometimes stats lie. It could be something as simple as how SD police departments records rapes. They say rape is the most underreported violent crime; perhaps SF rape victims are more apt to report it. Or it could be something worse -- like SF really does have a major problem that no one is talking about. I don't know. You have every right to be concerned and to expect an explanation. There's a story there that certainly deserves attention from SF news media.

My late wife moved from Westwood, NJ to Wyoming. She loved it here (400 miles west of SF). She often said it was the best decision of her life and that she only regretted that she hadn't moved west earlier in her life. I think it was about 120 miles west of SF on her trip here where she said the natural beauty displayed through the windshield made tears run from her eyes (Missouri River crossing). While SF is typical midwest vs. western South Dakota and beyond, I still think you'd like it. I lived in the next town west of there (Mitchell) for 6 months or so, and it was certainly a clean and welcoming town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls