Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2021, 07:22 PM

254 posts, read 586,920 times

Advertisements

I wanted to provide my impressions of Sioux falls as an outsider who never even considered visiting if wasn't for a convenient weekend to run a race and be able to cross off South Dakota (Im trying to run a half marathon in every US state).

* Its a truly a city where you can get by without renting a car. If your off Phillips Ave everything is within arm's length from parks to restaurants and all the entertainment the city offers. Also it was easy to rideshare when I needed to go longer distances, for some reason Lyft always fared better than Uber here.

* When you think of a Midwestern faraway city, you imagine its probably just going to be just a white town without any outside cultures. Boy was I wrong!! Sioux Falls did not disappoint with the abundance of ethnic food places from Middle Eastern to Thai to Ethiopian to Vietnamese. Apparently the city welcomed immigrants from many countries and that makes a place better IMO.

* Kind of in line with the last point, the foodie scene of Sioux falls is quite impressive for the city its size. Spots I tried like Josiah's Coffeehouse and Cafe, Sanaa's 8th Street Gourmet, Urban Chislic, Bread & Circus Sandwich Kitchen and JL Beers were truly world class and there is many more names I didn't get a chance to try but heard good things about.

* Regarding politics, I like the temperance of the people here. I am not sure what spectrum of the political divide people are here but they surely don't try to force that in your face. Even with the mask wearing they let you decide for yourself, your not forced to wear it or shunned if you do or not.

Thats it in a nutshell, hopefully that's helpful for folks considering visiting the city. I'm actually surprised it isn't in the same league as other small cities across the nation that have become destinations like Charleston, SC or Burlington, VT
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 10:06 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,966 times
Thanks for sharing! I grew up in Sioux Falls and am happy to hear of all of the recent progress, and learned a fair amount from your post/blog article-- you've inspired me to want to plan a vacation to be a tourist in my hometown again.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:30 PM

577 posts, read 561,149 times
I visited Sioux Falls this year. From reading these forums I was already expecting it to be nice and clean. I think relative what I had read, Sioux Falls struck me as more modern, suburban, and bigger than what I had pictured in my mind. Because of South Dakota's overall population, I guess I didn't picture interstates, malls, suburban residential developments, apartments etc. In that sense, it felt larger and I guess a little more like a typical American suburban area than what I had imagined.

I thought the surrounding landscape was prettier than what I expected. It's not actually flat; from the interstate in places you can actually see a long way across the landscape into the sunset. There apparently is a subtle slope that allows that.

I would say the downtown area had more new, urban-style developments than what I had pictured. Presumably that is evidence of South Dakota's recent success in banking.

Probably my favorite part was McKennan Park and the surrounding historic neighborhood. Lots of historic homes, trees, and ultra safe. Also, I thought the two country clubs right next door to each other were really pretty and gave the area a patina of money.

I think on the whole I would say Sioux Falls was much more like America than I had pictured in mind, i.e. suburban, sprawled out, sizable, and growing. It's definitely not Stockholm or Copenhagen...it's a quintessential, smaller, growing American city.

Somehow I imagined a tiny but perfect South Dakota and it's actually more or less like a Kansas or Texas. They don't really have a dangerous, abandoned area of the city that I know of, and that is a blessing. Now that I've been there, one day I need to get to Fargo and compare the two!

Old 11-20-2021, 05:07 AM

249 posts, read 241,745 times
I think you will find Fargo to be a little bit more cosmopolitan. Primarily because of a population of immigrants from a variety of cultures.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:28 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick13 View Post
I think you will find Fargo to be a little bit more cosmopolitan. Primarily because of a population of immigrants from a variety of cultures.
Trust me, SF is plenty "cosmopolitan".

Old 11-20-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Trust me, SF is plenty "cosmopolitan".
LOL! O K

Old 11-21-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchpride View Post
Thanks to our new open border policy, every city…and even small towns, will become more cosmopolitan. We will have more murderers, rapist, drugs, over crowded schools and hospitals, more housing shortages etc.. Crime will skyrocket and the quality of life in your city or town will quickly decline. Let’s hope the good people out there will fight like hell to save our great country. Support police, support border patrol, and get the politicians that caused these problems voted out of office.
Are you a kind of prophet, sent to save us??? Exactly how do you know the future?

Old 11-22-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
These things are already happening. If you don’t know anything about this already, you must be living under a rock. By the end of the year, at the current rate, we will have more than 2 million people who crossed into our country illegally. That doesn’t include the runners who got away. That’s over twice the population of Denver or ten times the population of Sioux Falls. Most of these people get to stay in the United States and they are put on buses and flights and sent all over the country. Crossing the border are some very violent criminals. Drugs are flowing into the country with ease because border patrol is overwhelmed. Last month alone, border patrol confiscated over 400 pounds of fentanyl. That’s enough for over 93 million lethal doses. I’m not a prophet. I’m just an informed person telling people like you to wake up. If you think none of this is going to affect the city where you live, you are in for a rude awakening.
What is your source ofinformation?

Old 11-22-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Pick up a newspaper, get on the internet, watch the news on TV, read crime statistics, check out the US border patrol website. Go on YouTube and watch drone videos of all the illegals walking into the US. Do your own research. The proof is everywhere! I think most people know that we have some serious problems that our country is facing. Unfortunately, a lot of people won’t admit we have a problem to protect their political party.

This has gotten off track, so now back to the subject of Sioux Falls impressions….
So you have no sources of info. Your post is just stuff you made up. Is that correct?

Old 11-22-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpride View Post
so you were either too lazy to look for yourself (this information is easily accessed from many, many sources), or you are a democrat that doesn’t want to admit that joe biden caused all these problems when he stopped border wall construction the first day he was in office and joe and the vp have done absolutely nothing to fix the problem. All this could be easily fixed by going back to the way things were before biden took over. The democrats keep saying they inherited the mess at the border from the trump administration. That doesn’t even make sense since he built hundreds of miles of border walls and illegal crossings were low. Anyway, i will not argue with you. Your response was so predictable. I’m done with you. Back to sioux falls impressions….
rotflmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls