U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:54 PM

69 posts, read 274,903 times

Advertisements

Howdy folks, just came back from vacation and part of that included going through Sioux Falls. It has been a while but I have posted in the past trying to get as much information as possible , been trying to convince the wife for two years to move up there from Texas. anyway since I finally got her up there she is warming up to the idea, we both agreed it was a beautiful place.
Now the question I have is about the town. I drove around some and know the basic streets , what I want to know is, is there a particular part of town I should stay away from, I have been told there really is no "bad" part of town (unlike here in Dallas) but for a family with a young son (8), is there a better part of town than an other. I really prefer the older homes with more trees, as opposed to the newer subdivisions. and I liked the area around Minnesota by down town not to far from falls park. any opinions ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 06:55 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,891,109 times
That's the same area that I like. The Falls Park area is my fave area of Sx. Falls. Just so you're aware of the fact that there have been a few people who smell the meatpacking plant on a windy day. I believe that'd be the general area that you're referring to.

We have a few members who live right in Sx. Falls and I just know they'll have some valuable info for you. I just wanted to let you know that I'm glad your wife liked the area, too and hopefully you can all three join us up here.

I was just looking at a chart that someone posted the other day and Texas is booming. It's the number one state that people are relocating to. Are there some negatives about living there? I'm looking for warmth.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:52 PM

Hi Jammie, you would be correct about everyone moving here I have lived in Dallas for 17 years now, moved from FLorida, and every since I have been here one city or another has consistently been among the fastest growing in the country, the economy is pretty good, and the housing prices really can't be beat for the big city, we average around 80-85 pr sqft in a really good area.
Which leads me to why I want to move, the down side of everyone moving here is that it is CRAMPED. I live 20 miles from work and in traffic it takes me about
an hour and a half, no traffic takes about 30 minutes, this is on a hwy, not back streets. the stress factor in this town is unbelievable , after sitting in traffic for an hour every day, by the time they get to work we are already in a bad mood.
As for the heat, I love it and will miss it, we have hit 100 3 times already and have stayed around 95-98 the last 2 months lows around 75-80.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,167,433 times
wantoutoftexas, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit here!
You are right, Sioux Falls doesn't have any really bad areas. There are some "less than desirable areas"...but it's only an opinion.
One area would be just west of Minnesota Ave, between 6th and 14th streets, roughly.
The area, know as Pettigrew Heights, is kinda the area you referred to in your first post. Crime has increased in recent years in that area, but the Mayor and the City acted proactively. Crime is down now, and there are plans to "revitalize" the neighborhood. It's a very diverse neighborhood too.
I would avoid the area near the State Penitentiary too, just north of Falls Park. It's kind of a dirty area... People don't seem to take care of their yards or houses.
Another area would be near the John Morrell Meatpacking plant...East of Falls Park... The smell can get kinda bad. The Whittier neighborhood is located just south of the John Morrell plant. This neighborhood under went the same thing with Pettigrew Heights... Crime escalated...and the area was beginning to become slummish. However, the residents of the neighborhood joined together, and things really turned around.
There is an area north of the John Morrell plant, east of Cliff Ave between Benson Road and Rice Street that is kinda "run down".... Again just an opinion...

There are some beautiful older homes around the McKennan Park area... Basically, anything south of 18th Street and east of Kiwanis Ave would be ideal... but it all depends on your price range too. Hope this helps you somewhat...

Old 06-24-2008, 09:34 PM

Wow MJ, you know Sx. Falls MUCH better then I do. I can find the zoo and Falls Park and one of the hospitals. Oh yea, I know where Cliff Ave. is, too. I don't drive there so I really don't pay any attention as to streets or areas.

Wantout, the traffic must be awful there. It sounds like you have generally lived in states that people flock to. I live two miles from work and I can walk out the door and be at work in less then 8 minutes. My hold up is the stop lights since they turn red every time they see me coming.

You'll like the fact that even though Sx. Falls is our largest city, they don't really have what would be considered as traffic jams. We've never been there when you just have to sit and wait in traffic. Have you or your wife ever lived where there is winter?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,591,379 times
wantoutoftexas,

I agree with mjgustafson on the areas of Sioux Falls to avoid and what areas are good in Sioux Falls. The areas around McKennan Park have nice older homes (1920s era homes, many of them two stories) and further south have vintage homes built in the 1960s era that are well-kept and have character and charm to them. West of Sanford Hospital, near 18th St., there are quite a few older houses that are well maintained and it is hilly in that area.

The vast majority of Sioux Falls is safe. The undesireable areas noted by mjgustafson are areas where there may problems and these areas are mild in crime and problems when compared to other cities.

I would also suggest some of the small towns near Sioux Falls that may have some older homes and still retain their small-town charm. They are clean, safe, affordable communities with good schools.

Lennox is 15 miles southwest of Sioux Falls and is a community of 2,000 people. It is a 20-25 minute drive from the southwestern part of Sioux Falls. The city has quite a few older homes and has small town charm, there are a few older homes on the market there.

Canton is another community, about 18 miles south and east of Sioux Falls. The city is about 3,100 people and is about 20-25 minutes from Sioux Falls and has a number of older homes. The city is seven or eight miles from a state park and is the county seat.

Dell Rapids is 15-20 miles north of Sioux Falls and has many older homes and is hilly. It is about the same size as Canton. There are quite a few buildings there that are a pink brick, which is Sioux Quartzite mined nearby. The city has history to it and has good medical care. It has a catholic school and high school in addition to its public school.

Hartford is less than 10 miles west of Sioux Falls. It has some older homes and it is next to the interstate for easy access. Small town atmosphere and very peaceful area.

Tea, Harrisburg, and Brandon are good communities too and are within a couple of miles from Sioux Falls. They have a few older homes, but not as much as the prior four towns. These three towns are growing quickly and have mostly newer construction. Brandon is probably the most mature city of the three and is the largest. It has a good school system. Many of the outlying towns have good schools.

Commutes from these three are not bad and sometimes better than commuting from one end of Sioux Falls to the other. The only challenge would be if the roads get icy and/or snowpacked. The state does well with keeping the interstates open and they are used if you are in Lennox or Dell Rapids. It is odd that it would take me 20 minutes to get from Lennox to the Empire Mall in Sioux Falls, while it would take me the same amount of time to get from the eastern fringes of Sioux Falls to the Empire Mall.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:55 AM

19,623 posts, read 9,863,124 times
Wantout~
welcome to the forum!!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Thanks everyone for the info, greatly appreciated, I guess the area I was mainly looking at would be, north of 57th, south of 12th, west of cleveland and east of 29, I would like to stay fairly close to the mall and shopping if possible, will be looking in about the 150k price range also.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:56 PM

argusleader.com | Argus Leader | Sioux Falls news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Sioux Falls, South Dakota

You may want to browse the classifieds in the newspaper.

Also, does anyone know the link to something like "ViewHomes". I'm not exactly sure what it is, but they often have a show that's on just before "Cops" on Sat. night and they show the different listings around town. If any of you know what I'm referring to, feel free to post the link. I believe you can view the homes on the internet if someone figures out what I'm talking about.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:20 PM

251 posts, read 851,639 times
I am in the same situation you are. I have not been out there yet but i have some friends in a town bout 50 miles from sioux falls, hoping to get on with a company soon who said i can transfer so hopefully once i can transfer im planning on doing that out to sioux falls, the wife wants to see the town before we move out there, i cant blame her but i dont see how we are gonna able to do that until we actually get there. welcome to the forum as well. take care and hope you can convince your wife to move soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>