Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 05:56 AM

509 posts, read 1,679,840 times

Advertisements

People talk about humidity in Sioux Falls. How much humidity is average there? I am in North Florida, so it cannot be as bad as it is here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 10:04 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
Sioux Falls has humidity, but not to the extent of the southern states. I know that I have been to Florida once and Lousiana twice and the humidity in Sioux Falls is nothing when compared to the Deep South/Florida. If you compare it to places such as New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Montana, there is more humidity in Sioux Falls and the eastern portions of South Dakota and other Great Plains states (Nebraska, N. Dakota, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas) due to us getting some moisture fed in from the Gulf of Mexico. Compared to other places, the humitiy is about average. There is humidity and it may get very humid from time to time, but is generally not as bad as other areas.

A good place to check is Sioux Falls's city profile on Sioux Falls, South Dakota (SD) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders.

I personally do not care for the humidity, but like this area of South Dakota the best due to it being one of the more green areas of the state. Just have to take the good with the bad. On trips to Colorado and last month going through Kansas, I can easily notice the change in humidity between Grand Island, NE and North Platte, NE. Grand Island, NE and Salina, KS (to me) are similar to Sioux Falls in humidity and I can definitely notice that there is some humidity. Goodland, KS, Oakley, KS, North Platte, NE, and Ogallala, NE have air that is noticeably drier and having a different feel to it (even when there is precipitation). I can really notice the humidity when going through Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, Lousiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi.

Last edited by Chris19; 07-05-2008 at 10:14 AM..

Old 07-05-2008, 10:26 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
OK, I learned one thing new today already. I didnt' realize that East River has humidity because of moisture from the Gulf. That makes me feel tropical now.

Chris is right~there really isn't much of a comparison. Although we may have a few days a year where our temps are much higher then in Fla., our humidity is nothing like it is in Fla.

One hour west of Sx. Falls we have a bit of humidity today. Our hum. is 63% right now and our dewpoint is 65%. We have a lot of wind here so that kind of keeps us from having very humid days. Our winds are 22 gusting to 31 right now. Sx. Falls will be quite comparable. Our temp is 79 and it feels like 81.

In comparison, I just chose Tallahassee. The temp is 86 and feels like 90. The humidity is kind of low right now at 57%, but your dewpoint is 69%. It seems like dewpoint has more to do with the "feel of humidity" then the humidity number itself. For us, being over 70% dewpoint is fairly humid. Also, it seems like just a number or two increase in dewpoint makes it feel more humid. We've stepped out of the airport in Orlando and it feels like we've been thrown in a dryer. It takes a couple hours to adjust, but I actually love the feel of the weather down there.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Just posting again because it's now 6:45 pm. It's one of our more humid evenings. Right now it's 87/heat index 91/humidity53/dewpoint 68. Hope this helps you compare it to your own.

We can have different temps over here then Sx. Falls has. We can even have a snowstorm when they don't and vice-versa. But we both have similar weather even if it's different days.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:16 PM

AT 1pm, I checked and it's 88 with a heat index of 94. Our average high for today is 85 and we're actually a bit above that again today. We've been WELL below our average for many months now with only a day or two here and there that is average or above.

Humidity~58%
Dewpoint~71%

I checked Tallahassee, but today isn't much of a day for comparisons since it's 78 and raining there.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:32 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times
Default ...

There is a huge difference in humidity most of the time..

There are those times though when they are equivalent, but usually up here in the central plains it is much shorter lasting and the temperature itself is usually lower in the summer as well..

Summers really are far more bareable in in Sioux Falls than in Florida, my sister lives in Port St Lucie and moved there in july of 2005, and said that our heat doesn't compare to the heat down there...

Old 07-07-2008, 05:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
I agree without you completely, ehenningsen. I have been to New Orleans and Orlando and our humidity does not even compare. I can recall the humidity getting very bad once I get down to the I-70 corridor (Kansas City, Columbia, and St. Louis) and gets even worse in Memphis and Mississippi. When I was in St. Louis for a high school youth conference, I had the early signs of heat exhaustion due to it being in the upper 90s and very sticky outside (worse than eastern SD). I had to really keep up on the water and drank it all of the time when outside to deal with the heat.

Memphis and New Orleans were worse, especially New Orleans. I can remember sweating heavily at night, which does not happen in Sioux Falls (even when it gets hot).

I will probably experience that again next year when I go on a road trip to Missisippi/Louisiana area. I will go in May/June and not go in July/August.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,129 times
Question was average humidity. Right. That won't compare to Florida or New Orleans, both of which have humidity "more often" than we do. But humidity is humidity. 95 percent humidity on a 90 degree day is stifling, no matter where you live. We do have that. It is not all that unusual to have 100 percent humidity. But ... we also have days in the winter when its dry enough to have nose bleeds from it. And after a storm pushes through and the jet stream comes down, we get relief from the humidity. Florida and New Orleans, on the other hand, are camped out on it sort of permanently.

So when people say "You don't know humidity. I'm from Florida. *I* know humidity," I usually have to just plug my ears. Humidity is humidity.

PS: I'm from Minnesota. Land of over 10,000 lakes. I can guarantee you, when it gets hot here, the heat finds a way to make it humid. The air gets silvery. You pant. And you can't get dry for nuttin. You put on baby powder. You hide out in air conditioned malls. And then when its over, you spend the other 364 days of the year outside having picnics.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls