Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:13 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times

Advertisements

Have a great time on vacation and good luck in your housing search.

I've never moved here, but we do see a lot of Uhaul trucks going down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 03:53 AM

34 posts, read 94,098 times
Hey everyone, just to let you know, my wife and I finally moved to Sioux Falls a week ago from New York. With no computer, I wasn't able to post. So far, so good. We're having fun so far. She's originally from Sioux Falls, so no adjustment for her. For me, there's plenty to get used too. I'm used to so many people being friendly and helpful. I've read and heard people complaining about traffic??? Are you kidding? In New York it took anywhere from a half hour to and hour alot of times to go a couple of miles. Give me the traffic here anytime ( so far anyway ). The one thing so far that is rough is the weather, which I was warned about... it's already cold out, I was hoping to get another couple of weeks of decent weather. Anyway, thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and help along the way, it's appreciated!! I'll have to get more acclimated to the town and start posting more. Still unpacking as the movers finally showed up yesterday ( you never think that you have sooooo much stuff ). We had been here for the last week without any of our stuff, so now we feel alot better. Anyway, we're still looking for suggestions on shows, activities and anything going on in the area to do. Also, if anyone knows if there are any haunted houses for halloween in the area, please let me know.. There were quite a few in New York, I love going to haunted houses at halloween time, my wife not so much, oh well... Thanks..

Old 10-23-2008, 06:20 AM

230 posts, read 626,407 times
Glad to hear things are going well for you and your family cbest !!!

There is a saying I've heard time and time again in the Military and it still holds true today:
"You never truly know how much stuff you have until you try to move it !!!"

Old 10-24-2008, 10:28 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,559 times
cbest23, Welcome to SF! Yeah, traffic is nothing here compared to say, Chicago or Minneapolis, or NYC in your case. People think that just because we're only 150,000 that we can get from around easily without sitting in "traffic" for 10 seconds ...some areas get backed up, but thats how it is.

It is getting cold... I haven't worn my winter coat yet, but I'm afraid that I will pretty soon.

As for haunted houses:
Untitled (http://www.siouxfallsevents.com/eventDetails.CFM?EventID=6581 - broken link)
There's a link for the Jaycee's haunted house.

Sioux Falls might feel like a snoozer to you compared to NYC. Usually the good events are in the summer time, when the weather is decent. Check out "The Link" in the Thursday's Argus Leader... it has a list of event, movies, restaurant reviews and stuff like that.

Glad to have you here. Good luck with the unpacking!

Old 10-25-2008, 06:34 AM

193 posts, read 786,349 times
Welcome to Sioux Falls, cbest!!! I have been out of the loop for a while, so I just caught up with the news that you're in town. As far as Haunted Houses go and Halloween activities, there is stuff going on. The Jaycees one is sure to be checked out as is the Museum of Visual Materials, which is downtown. If you're up for a trip to Madiosn, SD, there's a good one up there. There's also the lovely mountain lion corn maze just south of Sioux Falls on Highway 11. Since today's going to be such a nice day, that would be a good time to check that out.
Once your child is born--congrats BTW--you'll probably head to Zoo Boo. My husband and I moved here 4 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child as well to be closer to family. It's nice, but I can't rely on free babysitting as much as I thought I could!!
Have you given much thought to where you're going to buy a house yet? Have you gotten the health insurance thing figured out?
As far as health insurance goes, we go through BC/BS of SD, and have had very good luck. Reasonable premium--about $400/month for a family (based on the eldest insured person's age in the family) Of course, that can be lower or higher based on the deductible, etc.
Too bad to hear that you're cold already. I am thinking we are having a very mild fall. I remember two years ago, we had snow on October 18.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:58 PM

41 posts, read 132,022 times
Hi cbest23, welcome to the city. We too love it here, we have been here for 5 weeks and cant find something we dont like yet. I totally understand about how much stuff you accumulate over the years. We had the same problem. We would like to do something on Halloween also, so we will have to check things out. Good Luck.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:05 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
It is good to have you all in Sioux Falls and hope that it works out well for you, cbest23 and kaohinani. I have lived in the area for most of my life and like most aspects of the Sioux Falls metro: people, cost of living, crime, economy, variety of weather, cleanliness, and variety of restuarants and stores.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:32 AM

34 posts, read 94,098 times
Thanks everyone for the well wishes!! I'm really enjoying it so far. It's so nice to smell fresh air and to be in a friendlier atmosphere.. I hope everyone enjoys their halloween and the upcoming holidays!! My wife and I are probably going to shoot over to the Jaycees haunted house if it's still going on. I'll talk to everyone later.. Thanks Again..

Old 11-02-2008, 08:34 PM

41 posts, read 132,022 times
My husband and just did the bike path today for the first time. It was soooooo beautiful, we were only going to go so far then turn around but then we decided to do the whole thing. We were able to do the whole thing in about 80 minutes. That was on our bikes. I was so overwhelmed with the beauty of all the parks and the route was awesome, Lucky we live in Sioux Falls...

Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Kao, I'm SO glad to hear that you and your husband are settled and like it here. So do you miss Hawaii? Do you still feel you made the right choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls