Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 PM

34 posts, read 94,076 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post. My wife and I are moving to Sioux Falls from Long Island, NY in October. I'm 39 and retiring from my job and have grown tired of New York. My wife is from Sioux Falls originally, and wants to move back home. I've been to Sioux Falls twice in the last couple of years and we're on vacation there in August to look at rentals, since we're going to rent for a few months before buying a home. I guess I'm just nervous about making a big move like this since I've always lived in big cities. Sioux Falls is a really nice area with great people and I've always enjoyed my time there. I'm just concerned about the long haul of living there since I've loved the area, being there a couple of weeks at a time, but now it's for good. Can anyone give me any ideas of things to do in the area? Is there anything that would take me a while to get used to? Should I expect culture shock? Any recommended activities? Also, if anyone has any ideas on places to rent for now? My wife has a friend that lived at a samuelson development, just wondering if they have a good reputation. I would appreciate any help that I could get. Thanks for your help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
cbest23... I'll try to help as much as I can, it sounds like you are nervous about the move... As far as the Samuelson development, Yes they have a good rep. I have a friend that lives in an apartment complex (Steeplechase off Marion Road), and they are really nice.
It may be a culture shock to you...I've never been to New York City personally, so its hard to say.
Things aren't as fast paced here, and things like traffic and crime are not a concern.
Sioux Falls might be "boring" compared to New York...but I love living here.
As for things to do, what exactly are you into? Downtown has the Sculpture Walk every summer. There are numerous festivals throughout the summer as well, like Jazz Fest (jazz & blues with around 100,000 attending), Rib Fest (lots of BBQ ribs from around the country and lots of music), and the Sioux Empire Fair. Locals enjoy the expanding bicycle trail. There is a loop around the river bank with numerous branches off of it. In the winter, skiing is nearby at Great Bear Recreation Park.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Hi CBest. I'm glad you joined us on the forum.

You may be in for a bit of culture shock, but I think you'll like it here in time. I have a friend who was just in NYC and she was so surprised to learn that people were very helpful and friendly. She was always getting lost or didn't know which stop to get off at and people were very nice to her.

MJ lives there and he's offered some good suggestions. I love the Sculpture Walk that takes you over to the Falls. Falls Park is nice and a lot of people walk or bicycle around there. Sx. Falls has a zoo and you may also want to check out the Washington Pavillion. Keep an eye on the W.H. Lyons Fairgrounds because they have activities on occasion.

Sx. Falls has things like Hot Harley Nights, the Sioux Empire Fair, etc. I wish you luck and hope that things work out for you. And wow~how'd you manage to retire at 39????

Old 07-18-2008, 06:21 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times
Default ..

Most Californian's who move out this way tend to be very pleasantly surprised at how much they like it out here..

The cost of living for the most part allows them to do much more than they did previously..

Unless you need 24hr nightclubs, you will do great in Sioux Falls..

Old 07-18-2008, 08:52 AM

Red face Moving to Sioux Falls

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm actually looking forward to a little peace and quiet. I guess I'm a little nervous mj about the move. I'm just worried that I'll either get bored or that it won't live up to what everyone tells me. I've never lived more than an hour or hour and a half away from family and friends. Mj if you know, have you heard of Royal Oak? I heard that it was also a nice place to live. My main reason for not putting up a fight with the wife about the move is that she's due with our first in december and I really would like for our baby to grow up in a wonderful area. I'm sure I'll like it!! As for your question, jammie, I'm retiring from the police and I'm looking forward to a new life. Ehenningsen believe me, I'll be happy not to see 24hr nightclubs anymore. Thanks for the help...

Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 PM

cbest, congrats on the upcoming addition to your family. Healthcare is top notch and the schools here are great as well.

I haven't heard of Royal Oak prior, but I looked it up... Here is a link to it:
Lloyd Companies

It's in a newer and growing area, and the company that manages it has a good reputation in SF.

Here is another link that might help:
Apartments and Other Rentals - Renters Guide Magazine - Property Listing
It has many apartment/condo/town house rental listings in the area.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:42 PM

Thanks MJ for all of your help. The more that I hear, the more positive that I become. My wife has practically her whole family there as well as most of her friends, so we should be fine. I wanted to buy a home first, but she feels that finding a home in a week when we come in august isn't enough time. I'll definitely look at both samuelson as well as the lloyd companies. I'm making a list of a few of the places, so that when we come, we have a good selection to choose from. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:59 PM

I really think you'll find Sioux Falls a great place to live... You will enjoy the peace and quiet, compared to New York City.
It might be a good idea to rent first, and then buy the home... That way you get to see houses and not be pressed for time. SF, by locals, is divided by the west side and the east side. Both have great qualities... The fastest growing areas are the SE and NW sides of the city. New elementary schools and libraries are planned... A few new shopping districts are in the works for the east side, as well as upscale housing. The east side, east of Sycamore Avenue, is a bit more scenic... More rollings hills and valleys...
Any other questions, ask away!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,312 times
Sioux Falls has quite a few downtown lofts and more to come. Some are expensive and some are reasonable if one rents with one or two other people.

The city has plenty of good apartments with an abundance of them on the southern and western parts and a few in the eastern parts.

I agree with mjgustafson that it would be better to rent before buying a house.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:10 PM

Red face Moving to Sioux Falls

Hi guys, thanks again for all of your help. I didn't know whether I should start a new topic or not, so I decided to add to my original post. I have a potentially huge problem with moving to sioux falls. In looking at my retirement package, I did a little research ( since my job doesn't help much at all with preparing one for retirement ) and found that the 12 or so health care plans that are offered aren't accepted in sioux falls. The problem is that I currently have aetna for health insurance, which I love, but we're only offered HMO, which from my research isn't taken in sioux falls, but PPO's are, which my job doesn't offer. My job does offer blue cross, blue shield, which I could use in sioux falls, but I would be paying about $900-950 a month for coverage ( triple of aetna and many of our other health packages). It's frustrating because when I ask at my job I'm told how " sioux falls,sd, no one has ever moved there from here, why not go to north carolina or florida like everyone else". The problem is, if I wanted to go to those other places, I guess I would, but I don't.. I never have been one to follow the crowd I guess. Anyway, I guess what I wanted to know was if anyone has encountered problems with health insurance and what the solution was, or any suggestions of what I could possibly do. My wife is due in december and didn't plan on looking for work until january at the earliest. She has healthcare at her current job, but we used my insurance since over the years, had alot more options. My retirement package is enough for us to live on so we could spend time with the new baby, but paying that much for health insurance is a bit much. Again, we were moving there in October. Thanks again for your help..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls