Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:49 PM

41 posts, read 131,994 times

Advertisements

Well, I think that we will know for sure by tomorrow afternoon at the latest if we will be moving. If we go I think that we will be there by the end of September. I have put in applications ALL over the place, but I think the thinking is that I won't be there for at least another month. Why would they hold a job for me now??? Who knows, we are really leaving it in the lords hands at this point. Catch you guys all later. As I said, we really need to get together if we move over. It would be so much fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,191 times
kaohinani, I'm wishing you good luck with your job apps! If you make it over here and would like to get together, I'm up for it.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:34 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaohinani View Post
Well, I think that we will know for sure by tomorrow afternoon at the latest if we will be moving. If we go I think that we will be there by the end of September. I have put in applications ALL over the place, but I think the thinking is that I won't be there for at least another month. Why would they hold a job for me now??? Who knows, we are really leaving it in the lords hands at this point. Catch you guys all later. As I said, we really need to get together if we move over. It would be so much fun.
I wish you the best of luck. If you move to Sioux Falls, I hope that it is a good move for you.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:07 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaohinani View Post
Let it be known. And I can speak for all South Dakotians. You are welcome where ever you land. Be it Sioux Falls or Caputa, you will be welcome. Have a safe journey.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:16 AM

41 posts, read 131,994 times
OK everyone, this is it ....... We are coming to Sioux Falls. I really appreciate all of your input. I got a call back from Sanford Health, and have a phone interview with them next week. I also need to call Avera McKennon tomorrow to set up an interview. Wow, things are looking good. I anticipate that we will be there by mid to late September. It makes me feel more comfortable knowing that I already have "friends" there. ( I mean you guys). Really, you would meet up with me to get together. That would be so awesome. I am glad to be getting there as early as September so that I can get used to the climate change a little slower. I will need help in getting my winter wardrobe together, so ladies how about a hand there. OK, wish me luck. And Thanks again. I am soooooo excited.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:27 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,567 times
Quick comment on the winter wardrobe. Don't be afraid to spend some money on a winter coat. A good warm winter coat is a lifesaver. I prefer the Columbia ones that are so warm and really keep moisture out too, but there are plenty of good coats out there. They should be coming out in Sioux Falls by the time you get there or soon after that.

Also my wife really likes to wear fleece in the winter. They are really warm themselves and they fit great under your winter coat.

Anyway, good luck with your move to Sioux Falls, I hope you enjoy it.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:09 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
That is wonderful!!!! Welcome to South Dakota!

As far as a wardrobe, layer, layer, layer. You can wear a tank top underneath~a sweater or sweatshirt~then a coat, etc. You'll definitely want to get a pair of warm snowboots, too. You may want to be sure that your winter coat has a hood on it OR you can get hooded jackets. Mittens are important, too and remember to get an ice scraper for your car and just leave it in there.

I'm SO happy for you and it's great to know that employment is still readily available here.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 AM

230 posts, read 626,364 times
Well, good luck on the move and have fun with it. I remember when we first moved here and my wife and I had a ton of fun with it. The excitement of a new place, new people, and new job are a good time. Try not to stress the small stuff. Oh yeah, everything is small stuff !!!

Congrats !!!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:51 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Forgot to add~if you aren't extremely fashion conscious and you'd like to save a LOT of $$, buy your clothes out of season. It occured to me that you probably don't have that in Hawaii. When winter clothes go on sale in Feb. or so, get what you need for the next season. You can do the same with summer clothes. August is a good month to buy summer clothes. I realize it won't work for you right now, but it's something to keep in mind.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:48 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,191 times
Totally agree, Jammie... I just bought some shorts at Target yesterday for just under $5.00, the original price was $17.99.

Yes, you will need a snow/ice scraper, a winter coat, "hat & gloves", and maybe a snow shovel... It's come in handy for me a few times. One time I had to use a plastic laundry basket to shovel my car out... Right after that, I bought a snow shovel!
I always keep an emergency type of kit in my car... Here's a link for some ideas:
Winter Emergency Kits for Vehicles : ROAD & TRAVEL Magazine
I also have additional "layers"... blankets, quilts... You never know, that and I'm a worry wart.
And good luck with the job search... It sounds like that aspect is really positive!
Let us know what happens with the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls