Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:21 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times

Advertisements

kaohinani, I'm so glad with the news. I don't know of that doctor... I go to Sanford for medical stuff. I wish you the best of luck. Famous Daves is great.... Really good BBQ.
Let us know how the first day on the job is.
By the way, what part of the city are you living in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 PM

193 posts, read 786,398 times
Hope you enjoy your new job!!! The smell of fall is in the air--I love this time of year, but I don't look forward to winter coming!!! There are tons of things going on this time of year.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:42 AM

41 posts, read 132,033 times
We live within walking distance of the zoo. I just love that. And so many parks around in the area, everywhere I go I see a park. and yes, it is getting cold for us Hawaii folk. I just had a remote start installed on my car. WOW what a concept. I love it. Thanks guys...

Old 10-03-2008, 07:49 AM

230 posts, read 626,450 times
Glad to hear things are going well for you here. Here's to hoping they continue in that direction and you really enjoy doing your job here !!!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:51 PM

5 posts, read 15,855 times
Post Sioux Falls or Omaha???

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum posting..so here goes. My husband is a manager with a large department store chain..and they are getting ready to realign everyone at the beginning of the year, we live in Dallas, at the moment and have been here 10 years we are ready for a change though..and we are in the process of looking at sf and omaha..can you guys tell me some good and some bad for each and your thoughts and why on one over the other..thanks for the info!! Oh we are in our mid 30's and have 3 children so good schools are a must..and kids activities close by a must as well..Bye for now

Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times
Sioux Falls and Omaha are both decent cities, although the Omaha metro has around 800,000 people and Sioux Falls has around 225,000 people. I am from the Sioux Falls area but have been to Omaha numerous times and I like both of them. Which one is better depends on your preferences.

Both cities are overall clean cities and have strong economies. Both are family-friendly areas. People are overall friendly in both cities, although they may be somewhat reserved.

Omaha has more shopping options than Sioux Falls, although Sioux Falls has a good and growing array of stores. Both have decent shopping, although Omaha may have two or three of what Sioux Falls has, due to size.

Omaha may have more questionable areas and more crime than Sioux Falls. Omaha is bigger and has crime on a little bigger scale. Sioux Falls has some crime. It is contained in both communities, although there may be occasional crimes here and there. The vast majority areas of both Omaha and Sioux Falls are safe and both fare well when compared to cities/metros of comparable size nationally.

In Sioux Falls, the property taxes on a house is high, no income tax, and food is taxed. In Omaha, you pay an income tax and your food is not taxed. I do not know about the property taxes in Nebraska. Registering a vehicle in Nebraska is much higher than it is in South Dakota and auto insurance may be a little higher in Omaha than in Sioux Falls. My vehicle registration for a 2006 car is $59 in SD and it would easily be over $300 in Omaha. Sales taxes are comparable.

Both cities are fairly moderate to conservative.

Omaha may have more to do downtown and has a bigger zoo than Sioux Falls. Both have semi-pro/minor league teams.

I think that people drive better in Omaha, except for I-80 (some drive like maniacs on that road). Both towns are easy to navigate and get around.

Omaha is a little warmer in the winter, but can get more humid and sticky in the summertime than Sioux Falls.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:26 AM

232 posts, read 302,482 times
Default SF vs Omaha

Chris:

Great synopsis for GW's escapees! Very clear and objective. I don't know how these Dallasites good miss (and me--but I'm from the Northern High Plains too)! Thanks, tommyp1

Old 08-12-2009, 09:00 PM

41 posts, read 132,033 times
Just in case anyone was wondering what happened to my husband and I, we are very close to our one year mark of living is Sioux Falls, one more month to go, and it will be one year. It has been a wonderful experience for us. We love it. I can't think of another place that I would enjoy so much. So much to do, friendly people, very caring people, clean, patriotic ( I just love that), the city makes sure that there are all kinds of activities for everyone year round. If given the chance to move back to Hawaii or stay here...... I honestly can say that I think I would choose to stay here. I think I have found my new home.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaohinani View Post
Just in case anyone was wondering what happened to my husband and I, we are very close to our one year mark of living is Sioux Falls, one more month to go, and it will be one year. It has been a wonderful experience for us. We love it. I can't think of another place that I would enjoy so much. So much to do, friendly people, very caring people, clean, patriotic ( I just love that), the city makes sure that there are all kinds of activities for everyone year round. If given the chance to move back to Hawaii or stay here...... I honestly can say that I think I would choose to stay here. I think I have found my new home.
That's great to hear!
I always get a kick of the "Flag Lady". She'll set up a lawn chair along Russell Street, 12th Street, or Kiwanis Avenue and sit there and wave her American flags in the summer.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:20 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
OMG Kao, there you are. I've often thought of you and wondered if you stayed through the whole winter or if you'd go back to the island. It's great to hear that you and your family are happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls