Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 05:15 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,938,215 times

Advertisements

There has been talks in the past year of putting the proposed events center in Sioux Falls near the Arena and possbily replacing Howard Wood Field. There are others who are dead set on having the events center downtown at the old Zip Feed Mill site. Others want it near I-29/I-90, fairgrounds, and I-29/I-229.

I personally would prefer placing it in the fairgrounds, due to easy interstate access with two exits and to better utilize the fairgrounds.

I would not be against putting it in the Arena/Convention Center complex, although either Howard Wood or the Canaries stadium would need to be relocated. I am mixed about the downtown idea. It would be good from the economic perspective and would attract hotels, lofts, restuarants, and other businesses and would liven up downtown. Parking and traffic would be concerns of mine.

All three would not require the city to do too much with extending utlities and roads as it would if the event center was to go on the outskirts of the city. The three previously mentioned ideas utilize existing infrastructure, although some minor improvements are needed (less expensive than the outskirts ideas).

Where should the proposed events center be located in Sioux Falls and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 07:48 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,707,666 times
Omaha putting our convention center downtown worked great, what we did was we cleared a huge ugly metal scrap yard near the river and converted it to our new Riverfront which includes our convention center, then we tore down some old abandoned buildings for parking. Trust me, downtown will be best.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:26 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,419,443 times
Go Ne, was it the convention center they put downtown, or is it a events center asl well? SF is looking at building an events center.
Chris, Isn't Cherapa Place (the "green" office building) on the site of the former Zip Feed Mill? Or is it on just a partial part of the site? Would an events center fit in there?
That being asked, I think an events center would be great downtown, but there's no room. Unless you bring in a bulldozer and wrecking ball. Also, the streets in downtown aren't built to handle that kind of traffic. It gets a bit congested the way it is, especially on Minnesota Avenue.
I'm not sure about the Fairgrounds idea... I personally favor the idea of putting it on the Howard Wood Field area. It would be near the hotels on Russell Street. I also think the mayor made a huge mistake by not accepting the donation of land by Sanford Health by the I-29/I-229 interchange for the events center. At least the new Sanford Research Park will be built in its place.
This is like the extension of 26th Street across the private golf courses to Kiwanis.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:14 PM

Cherapa Pl. is in part of the old zip feed mill site, but there is more space that can be used in the event that an events center is built. It would really liven up the downtown and there would be quite a nightlife scene that would pop up if that happened. Imagine a D-I showdown or playoff in a downtown Events Center with the vibe going on. I agree that the traffic would be a pain in the neck for people to deal with if it was located downtown, unless if parking was not concentrated all in one area and spread out some so that traffic can disperse in different directions and not bottleneck.

MJ1986, I think that your case for the events center being built near the arena is a logical one. The Arena is there and so is the convention center, Howard Wood, and Canaries stadium. The Arena would make good additional floor space for the convention center and would allow the convention center to host larger conventions or multiple events with greater ease. If not convetion center space, the Arena would be a good secondary meeting place. Or have it be flexible as floor space for meetings and a secondary meeting place for events.

I agree that there some hotels and restaurants nearby that feed off of the area and woudl like to see some redevelopment to have it as a hub on a smaller scale than downtown, Empire Mall, and the upcoming east-side development.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:43 PM

I'll have to drive by the area on 6th Street tomorrow . I agree it would liven up downtown... Which I'm totally for... I just don't see how it would work.
If I remember right, Howard Wood would be demolished for the new events center. This athletic complex could be relocated... What about the athletic fields being built at 69th and Cliff Ave? Or are they only for the SF Christian Schools?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:47 PM

343 posts, read 1,086,439 times
I think it's key that the events center be put downtown. Downtown needs to stop sprawling outwards and start building upwards. Putting the events center downtown would bring growth to the area. Besides, who wouldn't want to go downtown to see the Stampede, Skyforce, or Storm in a brand spanking new arena.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:44 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,206,709 times
Default ....

The core of the city should be aided at all times to be as vibrant as possible..

A city with no core is not a city at all.. And the stronger Sioux Falls makes their core the stronger the overall economy can be!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 PM

I agree... but looking at an infrastructure point of view, I just don't see how downtown can handle it...in terms for parking and traffic. Because it's right on the river, 6th Street is the only available entrance/exit... and 6th Street, I believe, is only one lane both directions, with a turning lane. So, like I said, if you wanna bring in a wrecking ball and bulldozer, I am all for it being downtown.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 PM

Parking would be sprinked within a close proximity of the events center if located downtown. Utilize existing parking and create new parking. During the day, the extra parking can get utlized for people who work downtown and would give incentive for major employers to locate downtown.

I hope if they are going to invest millions of dollars in the events center, which would be nice to have, it better be done right and be something that will not outdate too easily and serve the city well for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls