Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,584 times

Advertisements

So I'm applying to a few graduate programs at the University Center in Sioux Falls for next Fall. And I really want to go, but I'm definitely nervous to move so far from home alone - I'm from Massachusetts. Are there any good residential areas, especially apartment complexes, near the school? Is it feasible to think I'd walk a few blocks to campus (i.e. in the winter), or would I have to drive anyways? And is it really THAT cold in the winter? I'm used to thirty degree winters, but I'm so close to the coast that its always slightly tempered. Are people friendly? Bostonians don't exactly have the most easygoing reputation, and they're definitely not good drivers! Thats one thing I look forward to escaping!

I hear all these great stories about the beauty and laid back atmosphere of Sioux Falls and all of South Dakota, and I'm definitely drawn to it. It sounds and looks like a gorgeous place to live.

P.S. Does anybody whitewater kayak? I've heard that you can run the falls at high water, and though its discouraged its not technically illegal. I'm comfortable on a class 3/4, and I hope to get up to a class 5 skill this summer.

Thanks everybody!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 AM

11 posts, read 20,336 times
I lived in SxFs for a few years. People arent to bad there. Some have the idea that because there license plate has a 1 on it that means they can do anything they want in other parts of the state. (ya thats right im number 1 and dont you forget it mentality). I grew up in the middle, and we would have to deal with these clowns every hunting season. just a few bad apples can give the whole town a bad rap.

As for white water things, you are stuck with the sioux river. The best thing to do would make lots of friends in Brookings. That way you can have them flush all at the same time, now all you have to do is wait for the tidal surge (just kidding). I guess people go to Del rapids and to that sort of thing. Its about 20 some miles straight north of SxFs.. I had a cousin get killed kayaking many years ago. He jumped in to save his buddy that was tangled in a tree. The buddy lived but Rick got tangled in the tree and didnt make it. lots of hidden junk under the water in the Sioux River..

Old 10-28-2008, 08:45 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,493,369 times
OMG Kiotes, that's awful and I'm so sorry.

Lolly, welcome to the forum and to South Dakota. You're right~it's pretty laid back here. Most of us think the traffic in Sx. Falls is bad if that tells you what the rest of the state is like.

But to answer a couple of your questions~I think people in our state are friendly, but I've always lived here so maybe my judgment is skewed on that. Most people really will help a total stranger out if they see someone in a bad situation. For the most part, people are pretty ethical here.

As far as cold~YES!!! It gets very cold some days of the winter. Our actual temps can hit 20 or 30 below and we can have some pretty strong winds which factor in awful windchills. The record low for the town I live in (75 miles west of Sx. Falls) is MINUS 55~actual temp. But I'm the weather whiner for the state. You could probably tolerate our temps right now. My low this morning was 21. About an hour ago it was 24/windchill 18. But this is still autumn and it is a bit below average.

IMHO South Dakota is a beautiful place to live. We have a lot of natural beauty here and wide open space, clear water, clean air, etc. You'll also love our cost of living compared to what you're used to over there.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:50 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,417,202 times
LollyJean, I can help you out. They are constructing the new University Center Complex about 2 miles north of the current one, which is on the Southeast Tech campus. I would think the new complex would be ready by next fall... There are apartments within walking distance of the current University Center... Maple Apartments, and there's another one that I can't think of. Those would be close to the new University Center as well.
The current University Center is at Maple Street & Career Avenue. The new University Center will be at 60th Street North & Career Avenue. You can use Google Maps to look it up. The apartments I was talking about earlier at on Maple Lane, which is just north of Southeast Tech/Current University Center.

Right now, there are no apartments within walking distance of the new University Center location. It can get cold, its just something you have to adjust to ...

People are very friendly here, I think. You won't find the traffic here like the East Coast.
Sioux Falls is a great city, and I think you'd be happy here. It's not as scenic as the Black Hills area.

Personally, I have never whitewater kayaked.
Sounds like a blast though!

If my post was confusing, DM me.

On a side note: When I lived up by Aberdeen, I had a 44 license plate (Lincoln County), and now I have a 3 license plate (Aberdeen)...so you can't always go by license plate numbers

Old 10-29-2008, 06:34 AM

230 posts, read 627,040 times
The whole license plate thing sounds pretty ridiculous to me, but what do I know, I'm from Ohio...

Old 10-29-2008, 07:32 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,493,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Mark View Post
The whole license plate thing sounds pretty ridiculous to me, but what do I know, I'm from Ohio...
No, you're not. You're from Sioux Falls!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 AM

230 posts, read 627,040 times
Fair enough Jammie !!! At least for a couple more years until I can retire...
My family and I are still loving being here in Sioux Falls and actually looking forward to the winter !!!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 AM

193 posts, read 787,347 times
The area near the University Center is hoping for more growth in the future. I have a rental house near the area that may be available by the time you move to Sioux Falls, so if you're interested, please PM me for more information. There are lots of things going on in Sioux Falls, so I am sure you'll have fun.
Whitewater kayaking may not be readily available here, but there definitely are kayakers. The Big Sioux River is fun, but yes, you do have to be careful. You won't be able to go through town on the river--the water is only like a foot deep. I went canoeing once through Sioux Falls thinking that it was going to be do fast, deep, and perhaps scarey. Well, there was nothing to be fearful of. Kind of a let down, if you ask me.
I hope we are able to provide you some more assistance. If you ahve any more questions, just ask!!

Old 10-29-2008, 04:22 PM

77 posts, read 291,825 times
Quote:
Fair enough Jammie !!! At least for a couple more years until I can retire...
My family and I are still loving being here in Sioux Falls and actually looking forward to the winter !!!

That statement would get you locked into a padded room if said loud enough in public... I'm trying to hold onto the BEAUTIFUL days we've had the last couple here in Eastern SoDak; absolutely tremendous!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:52 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,734,620 times
Quote:
No, it's actually a common thing. People from their states' largest city can be arrogant if they go somewhere else. The best example is Omaha and the rest of Nebraska. It's like they totally disassociate themselves from the rest of the state. I've noticed people from Denver are like that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls