Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:55 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,534,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenclean View Post
Hello everyone I am new to city-data and am wondering how I start a new thread..any help will be appreciated Thanks!
HI Queen and welcome, just hit "Post Reply". It's in two locations~one is near the top of the page and the other near the bottom~left hand side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 04:53 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,944,370 times
I guess I wouldn't look for some big box stores. I guess I would like to see more mom and pop stores.

As far as eating, something along the lines locally owned establishments with high quality food and consistant service.

Retail fill niches that locally owned could better operate.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,945,671 times
A few more mom and pop family-style restaurants would be nice. I think that the genre of restaurants is lacking and would be good in neighborhood centers in new and old areas. Smaller businesses often offer niches that the chain stores cannot match and the successful ones definitely have their niches.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 PM

106 posts, read 345,236 times
To me I like buying from local stores instead of Big Box stores (except when it comes between Hy-Vee, Wal Mart, Target, and Sunshine, I always choose Target over them all).

I would really like to see a large supermarket on the south side of Sioux Falls either at 69th And Louise or near 77th and Cliff. I know there is a grocery store and strip mall planned for 77th and Cliff but Im hoping its like a Hy-Vee or something. Im guessing it would be a Hy-Vee, and that sadly would probably drive out a lot of the Sunshine traffic at 57th and Cliff. But that is a few years away.

69th and Louise is in desperate need of a grocery store. I bet there at atleast 5,000-7,000 people living in that area (west of Louise, south of 69th to 93rd), and the closest supermarket is Hy-Vee at 49th and Louise. I would really love to see a Meijer because those are really nice stores with a good store brand product.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdflyer View Post
To me I like buying from local stores instead of Big Box stores (except when it comes between Hy-Vee, Wal Mart, Target, and Sunshine, I always choose Target over them all).

I would really like to see a large supermarket on the south side of Sioux Falls either at 69th And Louise or near 77th and Cliff. I know there is a grocery store and strip mall planned for 77th and Cliff but Im hoping its like a Hy-Vee or something. Im guessing it would be a Hy-Vee, and that sadly would probably drive out a lot of the Sunshine traffic at 57th and Cliff. But that is a few years away.

69th and Louise is in desperate need of a grocery store. I bet there at atleast 5,000-7,000 people living in that area (west of Louise, south of 69th to 93rd), and the closest supermarket is Hy-Vee at 49th and Louise. I would really love to see a Meijer because those are really nice stores with a good store brand product.
That makes sense. SW and west seem to be the direction of growth in Sioux Falls. Perhaps a supermarket west of I-29 along 41st or something too.

Or something in the area of 77th or South of I-229 on Minnesota or something too.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdflyer View Post

In addition, Harrisburg has tripled in size since 2000 and will likely grow at a good clip in the forseeable future. It lacks a grocery store (they buy groceries in Sioux Falls) and the 77th and Cliff store would have another solid customer base to draw from along with the existing Sunshine store (which is a very nice store in my opinion).

I agree with having another supermarket on the south part of Sioux Falls. If Hy-Vee moves in to 77th and Cliff, it may drive some traffic from Sunshine but the people who do not like Hy-Vee will shop at that Sunshine and the growth on the Lincoln County portion will shift to the eastern portion of the county (between Cliff Ave. and SD Highway 11 and between 57th and 85th St) due to a number of new housing developments in the area and others in the works. This will allow for Hy-Vee or a Super WalMart or SuperTarget to possibly come.

69th and Louise area would be a good spot for a Sunshine or different grocery store. I do not forsee Hy-Vee building there since it would be too close to their 49th and Louise store. I forsee Hy-Vee building in the northwest part of the city or in the very southern portion. There is speculative talk that Hy-Vee may build a couple of stores in the next few years.

Last edited by Chris19; 11-14-2008 at 05:21 PM..

Old 11-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
That makes sense. SW and west seem to be the direction of growth in Sioux Falls. Perhaps a supermarket west of I-29 along 41st or something too.

Or something in the area of 77th or South of I-229 on Minnesota or something too.
I agree with the West 41st St. idea. The northwest part of the city could use either a Hy-Vee, Super Wal-Mart, or something. There is nothing in that area and is an area that will grow at a good clip in the future, especially when the Marion Road exit off of I-90 opens up (which is planned to be put in place in the near future) and more houses and employers move there in the next five to ten years.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I agree with the West 41st St. idea. The northwest part of the city could use either a Hy-Vee, Super Wal-Mart, or something. There is nothing in that area and is an area that will grow at a good clip in the future, especially when the Marion Road exit off of I-90 opens up (which is planned to be put in place in the near future) and more houses and employers move there in the next five to ten years.
Maybe something off of off 12th Street. Maybe in 5 years something off of 60th ST North.

Right now comething close to Lowes would be nice.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:59 PM

This a fun thread.

I agree that something close to Lowes would be nice, although it may a few years down the road due to the economy and the area near Dawley Farm's east side location gaining steam and interest. I would like to see some shops and a few restaurants near Lowe's would be nice. Red Robin and another Buffalo Wild Wings would be wonderful. Thinking about the two makes my mouth water.

If Lowes decides down the road to build another store in Sioux Falls, a store in the area of 77th Cliff or near Dawley Farm on the east-side would be logical places to put a second location.

Dirt is being broken for a new Target and Kohl's, which may open late next year. I am excited. It would be interesting to see who else will eventually join the two. Quite a feat during these times.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:06 PM

If Lowes were to add a second location I would think something on 26th Street or eastside off of 10th on SD-42 heading out towards Rowena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls