Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
If Lowes were to add a second location I would think something on 26th Street or eastside off of 10th on SD-42 heading out towards Rowena.
I agree with you. Dawley Farm is on the eastern edge of Sioux Falls just south of SD 42/10th St. (which turns into Arrowhead Parkway) in the area where you mentioned. The commercial end is in the north portion and is close to SD 42 and the residential and office portions of the development are on the southern portion near 26th St.

There may be some other corners such as 57th and SD11, 26th and SD11, 57th and Sycamore, and 41st St. and SD11 that may be good locations also to put a Lowes. When these areas get filled up, they will need more home improvement store options and a Lowes would be good in these locations.

Hy-Vee may put up another eastside location eventually, which would be my guess. The east side would have to fill up a bit similar to the west and south sides in the past 7-8 years for that to happen. Hy-Vee is planning to remodel and expand the 26th and Sycamore store in the next year or so to my understanding (to be similar to the other Hy-Vees-a venture similar to the remodeling of the 49th and Louise Hy-Vee). When I grocery shop in Sioux Falls, I like shopping at Hy-Vee due to selection and being a little cheaper than Sunshine. Too bad that the new Target is not a SuperTarget, but it will have more grocery selection than a traditional Target.

Last edited by Chris19; 11-14-2008 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 09:05 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
I would definitely likes to see an events center in Sioux Falls...that would probably be the main thing.

I wouldn't mind another choice for groceries. It's mainly Hy-Vee...or Sunshine. Sunshine is expensive, but I usually buy my meat there. Lately, I've been getting my groceries at Wal-Mart...It's just cheaper, and thats all that matter to me!

Another Wal-Mart is definitely needed. I'm happy to see another Target on the eastside. I avoid the Walmart on Louise like the plague... I usually drive the distance to the eastside one where it is less crowded.

I've noticed that fast food type restaurants are scarce on the very southside of the city.
One thing that we don't need any more of is Subway. They're everywhere it seems like!

I would also like to see more parks planned in the new developments.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:09 PM

I would like to see Falcoln Heights to become a possbility. It is supposed to be a walkable, high-density development with homes, workplaces, and retail. For retail, I would like to see a mix of big-box such as Hy-Vee, Lowes, and Dick's Sporting Goods and smaller stores such as mom and pop business and chain stores such as Old Navy and some good restaurants.

A version of the mixed development is in Kansas City called Zona Rosa. It is near I-29. It has apartments on top of store fronts and has a mix of restaurants, stores, and bix box stores along with parklike areas. It encourages walking. I like the layout. The Irish restaurant there had a neat atmosphere and good food. It had a rooftop eating area that has a good view of other areas of Zona Rosa. I will have to stop by there when I head through Missouri, most likely next year.

Last edited by Chris19; 11-14-2008 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-14-2008, 09:36 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Its amazing on 26th on the way out towards Rowena it seems like it takes a long time to get out of town.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:47 PM

It will get filled up even more in the next 20 years. Plans are to have the city grow to the Big Sioux River from around the Madison St. area to 69th/85th St. area. The amazing thing is when Sioux Falls grows to the Big Sioux River on the Lincoln County side is that Iowa (Lyon County) is across the river. Minnehaha county is north of Lyon Co., IA east of the Big Sioux River. Essentially, 57th Street separates Lincoln and Minnehaha county west of the Big Sioux River and the same 57th Street separates Minnehaha County and Lyon County, Iowa east of the Big Sioux River.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:09 PM

106 posts, read 344,226 times
Well the Target is going to be a Super Target, but under the Target name. So technically a "Super Target in Disguise" but in a somewhat smaller building than a normal ST.

Falcon Heights is supposed to be just like New Town at St Charles, Missouri. Its a mixed use community where you can walk to a remake "Main Street" with mom and pop stores along the Main Street, and then go on the bike trail etc. etc. To bad thats not happening for atleast 3-10 Years.

I can definetly see a somewhat large development on the south side between Harrisburg and Sioux Falls that would include a Wal Mart or Target or Hy-Vee. Im guessing it would be on Cliff or Minnesota because those are the main roads to Harrisburg from the southern part of Sioux Falls.
Here is an outside view of the Dawley Farm Village, the actual is a little different because the Best Buy is seperate, but here it is:
http://www.dawleyfarmvillage.com/images/visual-storefront-L.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-16-2008, 08:41 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Ok, I've been thinking about this. The thing I'd most like to see in Sioux Falls (and other cities) are clean, affordable apartments. They don't have to be newly built apts. with a swimming pool, tennis courts, hot tubs, etc. I'm talking about buildings from the 70s or 80s being redone and affordable shelter being offered. I'm also not referring to a few studio apartments that are offered in houses that were built in 1900 either.

People should not have to apply for Section 8 housing in order to be able to live in a decent place. Often you see apartments listed at "affordable living~STARTING at $700 per month."

There are a lot of baby boomers that will eventually be downsizing and with the average social security check being in the area of 1,000 per month, there really is no place for them to go. Of course, most of us have a bit of a retirement plan and in many cases there are two people who receive SS plus income, but what about the person who is left alone with no affordable housing? What about some who have met with catastrophes in life and don't have much in savings? At 2,000 per month, things will be pretty skimpy if you have to pay 700 or 800 of it out for a small 1/1. Add utilities, medicare supplemental insurance,car insurance, life insurance, meds, groceries, etc. to it and things aren't working out well. Many who can, still subsidize their household with part time jobs, but some aren't physically capable of it. Put in a hot tub for the community to use and leave off the other frills.

Many young people are struggling to pay their rent, too. There should also be a good, affordable place for them to live.

They have articles out explaining how living space has increased throughout time. It really wouldn't be necessary for these apts. to be large. Why isn't it feasible to offer 600 sq. ft apartments for 500 or 550 a month?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:58 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Good idea Jammie and I totally agree.

A lot of the newer apartments in Sioux Falls are so-called "luxury" apartments, which SF does have a need for these, but on the other side of the coin, I too would like to see more lower-income rental housing.

The city is making an effort to clean up and revitalize the Pettigrew Heights neighborhood, west of downtown. Crime increased and many landlords and home owners were neglecting their houses and yards, etc.
The city recently built some new low-income townhomes/apartments in that area.

The big downside was that the old houses had to be demolished in order to make way for these new buildings, which basically kicked people out of their homes. They had a story in the Argus Leader a while ago, and I really felt bad for those people. It's a give and take thing, I guess.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 PM

Jammie and MJ1986, you two have some very good points about the need for affordable housing. The caviat is that those who want something inexpensive often go to complexes that may seem ghettolike or that have some shady characters. Not always, but there is a risk. Yes, I think that there is a need for clean, affordable, and basic rental units for those who need a decent place but do not want the frills. A way to keep questionable characters out is through background checks and possibly credit checks.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:14 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Good ideas Chris and MJ, the background and credit checks would be necessary so everyone could stay relatively safe.

They'd need to design it differently then the low income housing does. Low income housing generally takes a portion of your income~something like 30%. That can be a deterrent for older people to get part time jobs or for younger people to try to get higher paying jobs. Then you involve the govt. with the Section 8 and it's a disaster waiting to happen. Also, people would feel better about themselves if it wasn't considered to be "low income" and the stigma that goes with it.

Honestly, I just think that all of our towns could renovate some older motels or apartments into something that's clean, basic, and affordable. But it probably won't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls