Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 AM

2,398 posts, read 5,418,893 times

Advertisements

Good information Jammie...and I agree.

For a one-bedroom apartment in SF, its $400... unless you want to look into the shotty apartments, like in the Pettigrew Heights neighborhood. I've looked at a few a while back...and its just not somewhere I would like to live.

What is Section 8?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 07:44 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,503,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Good information Jammie...and I agree.

For a one-bedroom apartment in SF, its $400... unless you want to look into the shotty apartments, like in the Pettigrew Heights neighborhood. I've looked at a few a while back...and its just not somewhere I would like to live.

What is Section 8?
Wow, I didn't realize you could get a liveable apt. in Sx. Falls for 400 a month. Guess our rentals over here must be off base cause you won't find much for that price here. Of course, there are a few in that price range that are ok, but the majority are 500 or over already. There are some at 400 or less, but generally they're very small and just so-so.

Section 8 is a voucher that you get from the govt. to subsidize your rental costs. I don't think that every landlord has to take them, but some apts. mainly take Section 8. It's like the govt. pays 200 of your rent and you pay 200 of your rent or whatever ratio fits your income. Not actually sure how they figure it, but it sounds like it can take a long time to even receive it. Since it's through the Govt. and you know all the red tape there, it's probably not an ideal thing so a few lower rent apts. would be better.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 PM

Babinski Properties has a few lower-cost apartment complexes. It's about $400-$440 for a one bedroom. I've heard good things about their management too.

Ohhh yes, I know what you are talking about. Yeah, I'm sure its a hassle, just like the Medicare thing that I saw on the news today.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,937,336 times
The government has too much red-tape, but it is too big for its own good and many of the programs have balooned to bureaucracies that have lost their original purpose and need to be reigned in. Theoretically, if was president, I would gut most of the government and have a slimmed-down version of our current government and simplify government processes to eliminate the excessive red tape while having a reasonable amount of oversight.

Back to things I would like to see in Sioux Falls, I would like to see I-29 widened from 26th Street to the Tea exit and the I-29/I-229 reconfigured with a couple of flyover ramps/mini stack interchange (it will have to be in a similar format without having to pluck out newer homes and to utilize existing land).

Old 11-19-2008, 09:49 PM

Chris, unfortunately, it sounds like the I-29 project will be a few years down the line.

In my opinion, the SDDOT and the Public Works in Sioux Falls didn't coordinate in previous years/decades, and had very poor planning.

Like 57th Street and I-29. An interchange is essential there, but the city built up the strip malls and everything else.
The entire southwest quadrant is so backed up during the busy times.

It comes down to bad planning

Old 11-19-2008, 09:58 PM

I understand that but I get annoyed driving on I-29 south of Sioux Falls with the rough pavement and the worsening of traffic flow along this stretch.

The newer areas in Sioux Falls from early 1990s and on are better planned. In my opinion, the planning of the mall area back in the 1970s and 1980s (and even the 1990s) was crappy in my opinion.

The Dawley Farm area and other retail developments on the east side, once they get going, will take some pressure off of the Empire Mall area.

Another Wal-Mart, either on the south side or up by Flying J will help. The Wal-Mart by the mall on a Saturday is a nightmare. Louise and 41st St. area is a nightmare to drive through anymore on a Saturday afternoon. In some ways, I much rather drive in the shopping areas in Omaha than 41st St on a weekend.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:06 PM

Agree, Chris.

We share a lot of concerns... 49th & Louise is the most dangerous intersection in South Dakota... a few years ago anyway.

I get really annoyed by the horrible planning by the DOT and the city. I understand it costs money to purchase ROW, but if its needed?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 PM

106 posts, read 344,893 times
I Found This on the SD Dot about the 57th/69th/85th Interchanges and the I-229/I-29 Mix.
I-229/I-29/69th Street Exit:
http://www.sddot.com/PE/projdev/docs...nterchange.pdf

85th Street/I-29 Interchange:
( I liked the last one)

And the I-29/I-229 Interchange Possibility:
http://www.sddot.com/PE/projdev/docs...ternatives.pdf

And the 57th Street/I-29 Interchage Possibility:

I am definetly hoping for some more residential development on the southern side of town towards Harrisburg then westward towards I-29 between 69th Street and 101st Street (69th and Tea Exit Road). BTW the Tea Exit (the new completed one) is actually Sioux Falls' 101st Street, so in the future, that road is going to be known as 101st Street. I wonder what kind of Development will happen there in the future?

Im really pushing for some more housing development on the eastern side of the city, and the southern side of the city between Minnesota and Sycamore. I also would like to see Harrisburg start growing further north instead of the directions they are now.

I would like to see a smaller scale Dawley Farm be put up near Cliff between 77th and Harrisburg, because eventually, Cliff and Minnesota will be MAJOR commute roads, and travel roads.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 PM

I agree, although I would like to see the northwest side of Sioux Falls grow to balance out the city and the nortwest side has nice gently sloping land that is better suited for residential development than the southern part of Sioux Falls and areas between Sioux Falls and Harrisburg.

Sioux Falls is somewhat limited in its southward expansion beyond 85th to 93rd Streets in the immediate future unless it spends a lot of money to expand water and sewer capacity. Also, the land just south of Sioux Falls is a little more marshy and ponds up during wet springs and summers than east side Sioux Falls and NW Sioux Falls that have better drainage.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:57 PM

fsdflyer,
SDDOT / Project Development / Planning / Special Studies<br>I-29 Corridor: Exit 73 (Tea Exit) to Exit 77 (41st Street Exit)
That is the main site.
Under Public Meeting #1 on July 17th, the Video File (Meeting Presentation) had URS (which is the consulting company) who stated that an interchange at 57th and 69th is not recommended. Only a crossing is recommended by URS at 69th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls