Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,525,532 times

Advertisements

I know this isn't exactly what was meant by "What would you like to see", BUT I'd like to see those lay-offs stop. They did a short segment and there is still employment and the people who've been laid off should be able to find work. But I'm just hoping this is the end of it before our economy goes down the tubes like it has in many parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 08:18 AM

605 posts, read 1,202,102 times
I'd like to see a stronger and more active and vibrant gay community in Sioux Falls.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:54 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,748,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
I'd like to see a stronger and more active and vibrant gay community in Sioux Falls.
Haha! Oh boy I think you just opened a can of worms on the South Dakota forum!

Old 11-21-2008, 05:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,943,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
A silly but legitimate comment. Each to his or her own. Sioux Falls has a few gay people, but not as big of a contiengent as opposed to Minneapolis, Denver, and Chicago. People of the gay lifestyle may have an easier time in Sioux Falls or Rapid City, but may have tougher time in smaller towns due to them being conservative. Sioux Falls is middle of the road and there is some tolerance but may a notch on the conservative side on that issue. Although I do not care for the gay lifestyle, I would like to see more tolerance for people of that lifestyle and less stereotypes riddled with myths and misconceptions of these people.

I would like to see a full-fledged public university in Sioux Falls and thought that the town fathers back in the olden days (late 1880s) screwed up and choose to have the State Penn instead. A state university would add a more vibrant vibe to the city and there would be more research and professional workforce in addition to its diverse economy.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:58 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,926,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I would like to see a full-fledged public university in Sioux Falls and thought that the town fathers back in the olden days (late 1880s) screwed up and choose to have the State Penn instead. A state university would add a more vibrant vibe to the city and there would be more research and professional workforce in addition to its diverse economy.
You mean something in addition to SE Tech, USDU or whetever they call it? Oh and then the is Austana and Sioux Falls University.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
You mean something in addition to SE Tech, USDU or whetever they call it? Oh and then the is Austana and Sioux Falls University.
Back in the late 1800s period, Sioux Falls had a chance to have a state-supported university when the state got its start but instead chose a state penn. A dumb move in my opinion, but this would have been in addition to Augustana and University of Sioux Falls and probably Southeast Tech, which would have been there anyhow for people to get vocational training for fields such as welding, medical, and bookkeeping. A full-fledged state university would be been in place of University Center (which was USDSU a few years ago). Based on the cards that have been dealt nowadays, I would like to see University Center eventually become a full-fledged state university or an entity of its own similar to UNO (University of Nebraska-Omaha) that is a commuter campus. I foresee University Center eventually evolving into a full-fledged university but it should have synergy with USD and SDSU to keep them relevant along with the Sioux Falls center.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:23 PM

On a different front, I would like to see further diversity in the economy and jobs in Sioux Falls. The city has further potential and I would like to see it realize it. With the Sanford labs proposed, I hope that there will be additional science and reserach jobs, which many of these jobs are good-paying jobs that help keep more of our college students here and attract new blood. Also, this will feed the need for more service jobs along with professional jobs such as accountants, bankers, doctors, attorneys, dentists, architects, engineers, and the list goes on. I would like to see techonology get a greater footing with data centers similar to Microsoft and Google ones in Des Moines and Omaha. Also, have the city dabble in renewable energy and products that are associated with it. The need for renewable energy will grow and Sioux Falls would be a good place to do business in that realm with the potential for cellosic ethanol made from products such as switchgrass, corn cobs, and corn stalks (more efficient than corn ethanol), wind energy, and soy-diesel. There are many possbilities for the city to tap into. I hope that the ethanol industry becomes more efficient and can produce cellulosic ethanol that would open up new doors for agriculture and for Vera Sun and Poet along with the region's agricultural economy.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
A silly but legitimate comment. Each to his or her own. Sioux Falls has a few gay people, but not as big of a contiengent as opposed to Minneapolis, Denver, and Chicago. People of the gay lifestyle may have an easier time in Sioux Falls or Rapid City, but may have tougher time in smaller towns due to them being conservative. Sioux Falls is middle of the road and there is some tolerance but may a notch on the conservative side on that issue. Although I do not care for the gay lifestyle, I would like to see more tolerance for people of that lifestyle and less stereotypes riddled with myths and misconceptions of these people.

Nice to see someone can say something respectful about the gay lifestyle without agreeing with it at the same time. The Omaha forum is totally opposite.

As far as a public university in Sioux Falls, you and the rest of the residents there can always push your elected officials to get one their. The University of Nebraska has 3 locations, Lincoln, Omaha and Kearney. Being the largest and one of the fastest growing SD cities, it sure deserves it.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:26 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,926,397 times
Quote:
Back in the late 1800s period, Sioux Falls had a chance to have a state-supported university when the state got its start but instead chose a state penn. A dumb move in my opinion, but this would have been in addition to Augustana and University of Sioux Falls and probably Southeast Tech, which would have been there anyhow for people to get vocational training for fields such as welding, medical, and bookkeeping. A full-fledged state university would be been in place of University Center (which was USDSU a few years ago). Based on the cards that have been dealt nowadays, I would like to see University Center eventually become a full-fledged state university or an entity of its own similar to UNO (University of Nebraska-Omaha) that is a commuter campus. I foresee University Center eventually evolving into a full-fledged university but it should have synergy with USD and SDSU to keep them relevant along with the Sioux Falls center.
True. It seems with online being as popular as it is and distance learning being fairly trendy it might be longer than one thinks.

With SE and the programs offered everthing is pretty direct and most the skills learned there will keep folks right in Sioux Falls. Where USD and SDSU the mixed of those who stay in state and in the area is not as great. With several of those students moving out of state in pursuit of a career.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
On a different front, I would like to see further diversity in the economy and jobs in Sioux Falls. The city has further potential and I would like to see it realize it. With the Sanford labs proposed, I hope that there will be additional science and reserach jobs, which many of these jobs are good-paying jobs that help keep more of our college students here and attract new blood. Also, this will feed the need for more service jobs along with professional jobs such as accountants, bankers, doctors, attorneys, dentists, architects, engineers, and the list goes on. I would like to see techonology get a greater footing with data centers similar to Microsoft and Google ones in Des Moines and Omaha. Also, have the city dabble in renewable energy and products that are associated with it. The need for renewable energy will grow and Sioux Falls would be a good place to do business in that realm with the potential for cellosic ethanol made from products such as switchgrass, corn cobs, and corn stalks (more efficient than corn ethanol), wind energy, and soy-diesel. There are many possbilities for the city to tap into. I hope that the ethanol industry becomes more efficient and can produce cellulosic ethanol that would open up new doors for agriculture and for Vera Sun and Poet along with the region's agricultural economy.
Don't forget about wind energy, all the plains states have the highest potential for wind power. South Dakota could be a major exporter of wind power to other states in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls