Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,933,769 times

Advertisements

I agree with wind energy. The challenge with wind energy is putting up the expensive transmission lines that carry the electricity from the wind farms to the cities. Having more overhead transmission lines is not a popular idea, but may be necessary if we want to tap into wind energy that is plentiful in the plains and is cleaner than most other sources.

There is a windblade factory in Aberdeen, which is good for the town. CBS did a story on Newton, IA (just east of Des Moines) on their wind blade factory. The places that have these factories will be helped. It is cost prohibitive to ship the wind blades from outside the US to the areas where there are wind farms. Job security for those workers. Plus, the wind blades on these windmills will have to get replaced every now and then too, which will sustain a demand for wind blades. If the industry grows strong and steady, it should be in good shape for the long haul and will benefit this part of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,861,511 times
Mitchell Tech just announced a Wind Turbine techonoly program this week.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
True. It seems with online being as popular as it is and distance learning being fairly trendy it might be longer than one thinks.

With SE and the programs offered everthing is pretty direct and most the skills learned there will keep folks right in Sioux Falls. Where USD and SDSU the mixed of those who stay in state and in the area is not as great. With several of those students moving out of state in pursuit of a career.
rjl78, you have a valid point. The distance learning and current options are helpful.

I think that having a full-fledged university in Sioux Falls will draw additional out-of-state students and keep a few more of our own here in addition to staying aggressive with the recruiting in Vermillion and Brookings and other state schools. More of out state students will bring more money to our university system and more out-of-stater would consider SD with another option, one being in Sioux Falls. It would help strengthen our economy and help Sioux Falls when it recruits employers and businesses. With Dakotronic's success story, there may be even a few more homegrown businessess success stories with an environment fertile with new ideas and entreupeneurism. There are challenges, but I think that it will benefit our state in addition to a bustling Homestake Lab.

South Dakota has been working harder in the past decade to position itself better in the future and to keep our young people in state, many who are bright. Sioux Falls has been doing well and can do even better with further diversifation of the economy (which strengthens it) that will eventually lead to more professional positions. Sioux Falls is a strong anchor in the South Dakota economy and can be even a more formiddable economic powerhouse, which create need for new majors in colleges such as architecture and other fields that our students have to go elsewhere to learn. The growth can spillover to the likes of Mitchell, Madison, Yankton, Vermillion, and Brookings with coordination of economic development efforts and greater synergies in strategy and economy.

Last edited by Chris19; 11-21-2008 at 06:53 PM..

Old 11-21-2008, 06:47 PM

It is an excellent move for Mitchell Tech and Lake Area Tech is moving in that direction with regards training for power plants and energy. I would like to see SDSU expand further with ethanol research and develop stronger partnerships with POET, VeraSun, and ADM to speed up development of commercial production of cellulosic ethanol.

Last edited by Chris19; 11-21-2008 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-21-2008, 06:56 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,861,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
rjl78, you have a valid point. The distance learning and current options are helpful.

I think that having a full-fledged university in Sioux Falls will draw additional out-of-state students and keep a few more of our own here in addition to staying aggressive with the recruiting in Vermillion and Brookings and other state schools. More of out state students will bring more money to our university system and more out-of-stater would consider SD with another option, one being in Sioux Falls. It would help strengthen our economy and help Sioux Falls when it recruits employers and businesses. With Dakotronic's success story, there may be even a few more homegrown businessess success stories with an environment fertile with new ideas and entreupeneurism. There are challenges, but I think that it will benefit our state in addition to a bustling Homestake Lab.

South Dakota has been working harder in the past decade to position itself better in the future and to keep our young people in state, many who are bright. Sioux Falls has been doing well and can do even better with further diversifation of the economy (which strengthens it) that will eventually lead to more professional positions. Sioux Falls is a strong anchor in the South Dakota economy and can be even a more formiddable economic powerhouse, which create need for new majors in colleges such as architecture and other fields that our students have to go elsewhere to learn. The growth can spillover to the likes of Mitchell, Madison, Yankton, Vermillion, and Brookings with coordination of economic development efforts and greater synergies in strategy and economy.
True. With two major Universities within an hours drive if SIoux Falls it might prove to be a hard sell.

A question I have often pondered would be to make the SD university system one unit instead of 6 Universities and 4 vo-tech's. Would there be any savings as far as administration and perhaps marketing. Streamline things?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
True. With two major Universities within an hours drive if SIoux Falls it might prove to be a hard sell.

A question I have often pondered would be to make the SD university system one unit instead of 6 Universities and 4 vo-tech's. Would there be any savings as far as administration and perhaps marketing. Streamline things?
Sooner or later, the university system should be reformatted to have better coordination of programs and to slim down the duplication of programs and better use of resources to provide a strong education for the students. Our vo-techs along with Capital University Center (SF), University Center (SF), Dakota State and either Black Hills State or Northern State become part of a community college system, similar to Iowa's (where there are vocational programs and students can take generals (for two years) and/or classes to get an associates degree or take upper level courses in the univeristy system. The community colleges would have distance learning options for upper level courses. The universities: USD, School of Mines, SDSU, Northern State/Black Hills State, and possibly University Center would have full upper level programs and have their specialties. USD would be Business, Medical, Political Science, and Media and SDSU would have Nursing, Pharmacy, Ag., and Engineering. School of Mines would be Sciences, Technology, and Engineering. There should be a full-fledged business program, teaching program, nursing, and engineering program in east river and west river.

Having more community colleges (with distance learning facilities for upper level courses) and having 3 or 4 full-fledged universities is more practicial than our current system of 6 full colleges and one college in Sioux Falls that will invetably become a state university down the road.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:16 PM

What works in USD's favor is a pool of students to draw from in the Sioux City area in addition to Sioux Falls area and there are a fair amount of student who attend Vermillion due to it being a little cheaper (with their out-of-state rates) than going to Iowa, Northern Iowa, or Iowa State (Iowa has three full fledged unversities that are good but expensive even for in-state students and all other government-supported schools are the 2-year community colleges). There are also enough people from Omaha who attend USD. SDSU draws a lot from Minnesota, which both states have a reciprocity agreement.

If Dakota State does not have its Technology focus, it would be a likely school to be closed. It would be better as a community college. I would see combining the upper-level programs of School of Mines and Black Hills State into one university, which would be in either in Rapid City or Spearfish and a community college in the other community (with distance learning facilities for upper level course, TV screen classes and utilizing community college personnel for labs, etc.).

The Technical Institutes shoud not be governed by the school districts but should be under the same umbrella as the universities. The Board of Regents should supervise both but have a community colleges unit and univsities unit that offer more efficient use of resources and possibly offer more programs not offered in South Dakota and could be used here with the savings or expand research that would help grow our economies. Having the system to be more nimble will be good.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:48 PM

106 posts, read 344,730 times
I would really like to see the airport and the city invest in a new Airport Terminal that has easier access. I would like to see them invest in to a terminal on the west side of the airport so it has easy access off of I-29 on Benson Road. I would also like to see this happen once we get a new airline, such as American or Frontier, or hopefully both now that oil is going way down. I would like to see them model it like the Fargo Terminal, and get money from businesses and not public tax dollars, plus selling the current terminal to Sanford, Avera, or General Aviation.
Fargo Terminal:
http://www.fargoairport.com/Terminal091908web.jpg (broken link)

http://www.fargoairport.com/Terminal%20091808web.jpg (broken link)

http://www.fargoairport.com/IMG_1717%20(Medium).JPG (broken link)

http://www.fargoairport.com/IMG_1712%20(Medium).JPG (broken link)

http://www.fargoairport.com/IMG_4968x%20(Medium).JPG (broken link)

Photos Taken by www.fargoairport.com

Or atleast have them remodel the current terminal a little more and make it more up to date. Especially the cafe area. Did any of you see the KSFY Investigation of how dirty the Cafe in the airport was. They were the worst health score in the city i think.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:55 PM

The design of the Fargo airport, by the pictures given, are nice. I agree that Sioux Falls could either use a new terminal or have major updating to the current one. The Fargo airport looks like it has an efficient layout and is better suited for today's air passengers and security than Sioux Falls' airport. Sioux Falls' airport reminds me of Phoenix's airport on a smaller scale (outdated and blah atmospherics) and the two need updating for sure.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:08 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,416,399 times
Yeah, the airport in SF isn't anything to brag about.
Wow, the one in Fargo is so nice.
I'm not sure if this was already mentioned but, KELO had a news story a little bit ago about the doing the wind turbines projects at a few high schools around SD.
News, Weather and Sports for Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa
There's a big wind farm in northern McPherson County...
http://www.ksfy.com/news/26834264.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls