Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:14 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,817,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
The Tech schools are still governed by the school districts. A couple years ago they started to try to get them under the Board of Regents and it's still being debated, but hasn't happened yet.
I stand corrected...

Here is a question, does the state have any say in the governoring of tech schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:20 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,465,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
I stand corrected...

Here is a question, does the state have any say in the governoring of tech schools?
Probably in a way, since the state actually holds some of the purse strings for the entire school district. Of course, the county also has some of the funding they get.

I think the situation with the Tech schools was more that the Board of Regents wasn't sure they wanted them and would've rather they stayed with their school district. Originally Tech Schools were designed to offer high school students vocational training while they were still in H.S. But a lot of that has changed now and the Techs mainly teach people who have already graduated or many non-traditional students who are seeking a new vocation.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,928,711 times
Getting off topic on recent conversation about our university system, I have been down to Omaha and seen Shadow Lake Town Center and Village Pointe, both lifestyle centers/outdoor malls. Shadow Lake is in Omaha's southern suburb of Papillion and Village Pointe is in the very west part of Omaha. I personally like how Shadow Lake is set up better than Village Point. Shadow Lake has the big box stores such as JC Penney, TJ Maxx, Dick's Sporting Goods, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy, Gordman's, etc. in a circle and a main street-like area with Old Navy, AT&T store, and smaller shops present. The restaurants, bank, and Hy-Vee are towards the perimeter. One thing I do not like is the four way stops (also with Village Pointe). I honestly like traffic circles better and think that they are more efficient than four way stops in some spots.

My impression is that Dawley Farm in eastern Sioux Falls would be similar to Shadow Lake but maybe a little smaller. I would like to see smaller stores and shops in addition to Target, Kohls, possible Best Buy, and a planned movie theater. I would love to have either Dick's Sporting Goods or a Sports Authority go along with a JC Penney's and a TJ Maxx/Gordman's type store, Borders, and Bed Bath & Beyond. Also, some restaurants looking for a second location or lack a Sioux Falls presence would be nice in Dawley Farm. I think that it is very likely when the economy is on the upswing, Dawley Farm will get filled up and another one or two lifestyle centers, whether it would be Falcoln Heights, Galleria, or something else will open up to accomodate additional tenants.

I am excited about the dirt work and start of the visual progress of Dawley Farm.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:05 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,412,892 times
I agree with Jammie on the post about the tech schools.
Southeast Technical Institute in Sioux Falls is basically run by the Sioux Falls School District. I think that is not the right thing really. The Board of Regents should really be overseeing these Tech schools.
I don't really understand the funding part of it. The SF school district can't afford to fund SE Tech... I'm sure the State has a part in it.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:42 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,465,814 times
You're right, MJ. I don't know exactly how it works either, but the state does a lot of the funding for the technical schools and the rest they have to make up in tuition. It all may have made sense at one time to have the techs under the school districts, but things have changed and that's probably why they've been working on getting them under the Board of Regents.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,928,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
I agree with Jammie on the post about the tech schools.
Southeast Technical Institute in Sioux Falls is basically run by the Sioux Falls School District. I think that is not the right thing really. The Board of Regents should really be overseeing these Tech schools.
I don't really understand the funding part of it. The SF school district can't afford to fund SE Tech... I'm sure the State has a part in it.
I agree with you and also think that the Tech Schools along with two state universities (Northern State, Dakota State, Black Hills State, or School of Mines) should be converted into a 2-year community college system similar to Iowa and Wyoming. One where students can take the classes that the Tech Institutes offer but allow students to takes generals that can tranfer to USD, SDSU, or whichever state university in South Dakota. These places also be centers of distance learning.

For the Black Hills, it may be complicated. BHSU and School of Mines should be consolidated in my opinion and the other spot would be a regional community college (and relocate Western Dakota Tech and absorb that into the community college along with USD's distance learning branch).

For Sioux Falls, it is also complicated but allow generals to be taken at Southeast and combine resources and the upper-level courses to be taken at University Center.

Having the Tech Schools under the umbrella of the unversity system would help to streamline costs and resources (human resources).

Old 11-25-2008, 05:37 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,412,892 times
That's a good idea Chris. From my experience, transferring your tech school credits to a 4-year state university is almost impossible, unless the Tech school has a special "agreement" with the university. Most of the general credits, like math and english classes will transfer though.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 PM

605 posts, read 1,199,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I agree with you and also think that the Tech Schools along with two state universities (Northern State, Dakota State, Black Hills State, or School of Mines) should be converted into a 2-year community college system similar to Iowa and Wyoming. One where students can take the classes that the Tech Institutes offer but allow students to takes generals that can tranfer to USD, SDSU, or whichever state university in South Dakota. These places also be centers of distance learning.

For the Black Hills, it may be complicated. BHSU and School of Mines should be consolidated in my opinion and the other spot would be a regional community college (and relocate Western Dakota Tech and absorb that into the community college along with USD's distance learning branch).

For Sioux Falls, it is also complicated but allow generals to be taken at Southeast and combine resources and the upper-level courses to be taken at University Center.

Having the Tech Schools under the umbrella of the unversity system would help to streamline costs and resources (human resources).
You guys have some great ideas here! You could contact (call, email, fax) and give this information to the pertinent parties (ie city council, the schools, or even the state education department) I'd be interested in what kind of responses you get, if any.

Old 10-08-2020, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
That makes sense. SW and west seem to be the direction of growth in Sioux Falls. Perhaps a supermarket west of I-29 along 41st or something too.

Or something in the area of 77th or South of I-229 on Minnesota or something too.
SW and west seem to be the direction of growth in Sioux Falls.

Ahem, future I-229 extension for a western bypass, anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls