Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 12:34 AM

106 posts, read 343,690 times

Advertisements

I personally think that this would be a business boost to the city (a new terminal) and also stimulate some more growth on the northwestern side of town. It would also be easier access to the terminal right off the Interstate. I doubt that a new terminal/parking complex would go over 150 Million Dollars because the size would not be that large. Althought i could be underestimating. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 12:59 AM

3,940 posts, read 14,690,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post

As far as a public university in Sioux Falls, you and the rest of the residents there can always push your elected officials to get one their. The University of Nebraska has 3 locations, Lincoln, Omaha and Kearney. Being the largest and one of the fastest growing SD cities, it sure deserves it.
That is one neat thing about Nebraska. It has the University spread out so that it's not just in one isolated area. If USD was in either Sioux Falls or Rapid City I would seriously consider going there. I don't see why there aren't State Universities in the two largest cities.

Last edited by DannyBanany; 11-22-2008 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-22-2008, 05:07 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,682,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
That is one neat thing about Nebraska. It has the University spread out so that it's not just in one isolated area. If USD was in either Sioux Falls or Rapid City I would seriously consider going there. I don't see why there aren't State Universities in the two largest cities.
You mean something other than the SD School of Mines and Technology?

Old 11-22-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
You mean something other than the SD School of Mines and Technology?
Yeah, I mean a branch of the actual University of South Dakota.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,910,369 times
I would like to see several state universities and centers come under the Umbrella of USD, like USD-Aberdeen, USD-Spearfish, USD-Sioux Falls, and USD-Madison for example. They would have one administration and some centralized resources to expand offerings at each through use of distance learning for classes that lack the numbers to justify a teacher. They would share resources and administration to save costs. With the techonology, this is workable.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:19 AM

605 posts, read 1,196,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I would like to see several state universities and centers come under the Umbrella of USD, like USD-Aberdeen, USD-Spearfish, USD-Sioux Falls, and USD-Madison for example. They would have one administration and some centralized resources to expand offerings at each through use of distance learning for classes that lack the numbers to justify a teacher. They would share resources and administration to save costs. With the techonology, this is workable.
You have great ideas about South Dakota's College system, you and anyone who agrees with you should talk to your states elected officials about updating South Dakota's educational system.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:06 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,682,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
You have great ideas about South Dakota's College system, you and anyone who agrees with you should talk to your states elected officials about updating South Dakota's educational system.
Talk all you want. It would never happen. It makes sense and would save money.

The states colleges and tech schools are governed by the SD board of Regents.

Its something I have thought was a good idea for 10 plus years.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,910,369 times
Quote:

It would happen if we get in more progressive-thinking politicans. The Republicans are good for business and are backwards in education. Need get a few more Democrats in leadership and even have a Democratic majority.

I can see why it would not change, due to people's fear of change. Especially with old people who think that we should do things, due to us having done it that way for a 100 years and no need to change. Yes, change is difficult and can be risky. But with the changing demographics in our state and a need to best utlize our higher education resources in an efficient and effective manner, we need to reposition, streamline, and improve our system. Also, a more nimble education system will allow us to be more competitve with other states and move our state forward.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:41 PM

Great ideas guys. Just imagine how much more popular our colleges and universities would be to out-of-state potential students if they were in more attractive cities. Not to mention, how many of our own students would stay in South Dakota. Sure, Rapid City and Sioux Falls have universities but the real popular ones are in small towns that most people have never heard of.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:05 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,384,632 times
Quote:

The Tech schools are still governed by the school districts. A couple years ago they started to try to get them under the Board of Regents and it's still being debated, but hasn't happened yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls