Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:11 AM

269 posts, read 1,001,966 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks! Can someone please give me the scoop on what's it like as far as diversity goes in South Dakota, particularly Sioux Falls? I'm an African-American woman, early thirties, with an immigrant Eastern European husband and 1 bi-racial baby boy. I have lived in Houston, Chicago, and now reside right outside of Washington, DC (where I work), but I'm considering a move inward to Iowa or even South Dakota maybe. The cost-of-living is just outrageous here on the East Coast, I'm talking $400,000 to buy a simple single-family-home that's not even in the "good" school districts (NO, the prices haven't come down much due to the mortgage crisis, because everybody in the metro area has "safe" Federal jobs paying 6-figures).

I really would prefer to move back to Chicago, I LOVE that city, but again cost-of-living is huge factor because we plan to have at least 2 more kids and there just aren't a lot of single family homes in Chicago. I'm tired of living in apartments and condos, but I love the Urban Experience of good restaurants and high culture etc., and I dislike the plain-vanillaness of suburbs. What's the scoop on Sioux Falls? Will I be happy there? Are people open-minded? I know it's a Red State, but Obama won South Dakota during the primary caucases and they say the country is changing. We're a very liberal family, politically-speaking, and I just want to make sure this will be a good choice before I investigate further. BTW, I work as an Accountant, husband teaches, but I hear the job market is great too. Thanks for any and all information that you can provide!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:28 AM

400 posts, read 1,237,994 times
You definately would fit in here. My son's a 7th grader and there are 23 languages spoken in his school. Wouldn't surprise me at all to be walking down the street and see someone who's purple, and it probably wouldn't raise any eyebrows either.
Cost of living is great, low. You could get a house big enough to avoid each other easily for days at a time for $400,000. Lots to do for all age ranges, job market is good. Teachers are always needed, an Accountant job wouldn't be all that hard to come by either.
I'm assuming you don't mind the cold since you're used to the midwest. But the wind does blow here, all the time. That makes it feel a lot colder. But keep in mind that I'm a winter hermit.
Do your homework. City data site for Sioux Falls will be a great place to start and has really good links, so check it out. But don't worry at all about the diversity end of things. You'd be welcome.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:27 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Yup, I echo everything Snowbird said.

Sioux Falls would be the most diverse city and probably more middle of the road then Conservative. Stats show that in this last election, our state actually leaned more Democratic then we have in the past. Several people that I know~including myself~switched parties because we were truly impressed with Obama. Many of us right here on the forum were hoping he'd win~you can check it out in the archives. For me, it didn't have anything to do with race. I just really think he can lift our country up again, if you know what I mean.

And yup~our state's unemployment rate has now risen to 3.2%, but we're still the lowest in the country and are greatful for that. The most recent stats I've seen on Sx. Falls. still puts the city at under 3%.

It'll be interesting to see the new census in 2010 because Sx. Falls will end up being much more diverse then the 2000 census shows. You and your family would be very welcome here.

//www.city-data.com/city/Sioux-...th-Dakota.html

Old 11-20-2008, 09:12 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
That's great you are considering South Dakota.
Sioux Falls is very diverse, in my opinion.
According to the website, Sioux Falls Cultural Diversity :
"From 1990-1998, Sioux Falls’ foreign-born population increased 125 percent – making it one of the fastest changing metro areas in the nations. It’s now home to residents speaking more than 60 native languages and dialects."

Here is the wikipedia article for SF: Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Crime is really low here and the schools are great. If you search for Sioux Falls on the forum, you can find a lot more information too.

On a side note, we have the same views... I'm liberal, democrat. Like Jammie said, Sioux Falls is more middle of the road compared to other parts of South Dakota.

From my experiences, racial issues aren't a problem in Sioux Falls. I have friends and co-workers who are other races/ethnicities, and we get along great!

I think you would like Sioux Falls. Obviously, it's a lot smaller than Chicago, DC, and Houston.
But with the smaller size, comes many pluses. Low crime, excellent schools, friendly people, and not having to have to worry about traffic!

Good luck in your research, skapov!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:22 AM

193 posts, read 786,133 times
Twenty years ago, you would have been an outsider. I remember, in all seriousness, that the first black person I ever saw was not until I was 8 years old. (Maybe I just didn't get out much?!?!??)
Today, on the other hand, is a different story. The city of Sioux Falls is so much more diverse, that you would be welcomed into the city with open arms. I don't think it matters what race you are--it's all about how you treat yourself and others.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:34 PM

605 posts, read 1,198,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapov View Post
Hello Folks! Can someone please give me the scoop on what's it like as far as diversity goes in South Dakota, particularly Sioux Falls? I'm an African-American woman, early thirties, with an immigrant Eastern European husband and 1 bi-racial baby boy. I have lived in Houston, Chicago, and now reside right outside of Washington, DC (where I work), but I'm considering a move inward to Iowa or even South Dakota maybe. The cost-of-living is just outrageous here on the East Coast, I'm talking $400,000 to buy a simple single-family-home that's not even in the "good" school districts (NO, the prices haven't come down much due to the mortgage crisis, because everybody in the metro area has "safe" Federal jobs paying 6-figures).

I really would prefer to move back to Chicago, I LOVE that city, but again cost-of-living is huge factor because we plan to have at least 2 more kids and there just aren't a lot of single family homes in Chicago. I'm tired of living in apartments and condos, but I love the Urban Experience of good restaurants and high culture etc., and I dislike the plain-vanillaness of suburbs. What's the scoop on Sioux Falls? Will I be happy there? Are people open-minded? I know it's a Red State, but Obama won South Dakota during the primary caucases and they say the country is changing. We're a very liberal family, politically-speaking, and I just want to make sure this will be a good choice before I investigate further. BTW, I work as an Accountant, husband teaches, but I hear the job market is great too. Thanks for any and all information that you can provide!!
You could always consider Omaha, too. We're growing and diverse.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:25 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjosbrand View Post
Twenty years ago, you would have been an outsider. I remember, in all seriousness, that the first black person I ever saw was not until I was 8 years old. (Maybe I just didn't get out much?!?!??)
Today, on the other hand, is a different story. The city of Sioux Falls is so much more diverse, that you would be welcomed into the city with open arms. I don't think it matters what race you are--it's all about how you treat yourself and others.
I agree with with the expiences as for myself. There was simply not that many blacks and of other minorities. I can remember seeing a black person when I was nine or so. I often seen them in the history books and on TV but not too much in person.

When working part time in Sioux Falls through high school and college, I have come across quite a few black and most were very friendly. I treated them with respect and vice versa. Most people in Sioux Falls, as what nanjosbrand said, are welcoming to blacks.

There are quite a few blacks that emigrated to Sioux Falls from Etheopia, Sudan, and Somalia. My experiences with them have been good and find them friendly.

Sioux Falls is a good place for people of all races to live, work, and grow.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:07 PM

269 posts, read 1,001,966 times
WoW, this is very hopeful to hear such great things! I appreciate the useful information, and I will keep Sioux Falls on my list because it seems so family-friendly and affordable. Thanks~~~

Old 11-22-2008, 09:41 PM

230 posts, read 626,272 times
Well, I will say that you don't hear about ANY problems between races here and I haven't seen anything that would make me think otherwise since I have been here in Sioux Falls. I will say however that if you ask someone from here if there are many African Americans, most will respond with something along the lines of, "Yeah, there are tons of them here"... I guess in comparison to how it was 20 years ago as mentioned before then yes, that's correct however when compared to places like Chicago, Houston, or DC, I wouldn't say "tons" by any stretch. Do you see African Americans in Sioux Falls ?? Sure you do, but I still wouldn't go so far as to say it's anywhere near "tons"...

Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 PM

203 posts, read 512,277 times
Let me tell you this. No, there aren't that many African American people here. Conservatively speaking there is a "moderate" amount of immigrants of African descent, but there really isn't that many Black Americans here. For a town in South Dakota I guess it's more than any other town here though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls