Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should The Arena Be Built?
Interchange of I-29/I-90 6 20.69%
Interchange of I-29/I-229 2 6.90%
Tear Down Howard Wood Field, Build it west of Current Arena 3 10.34%
Downtown 14 48.28%
None, I do Not Support the Events Center. 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:52 PM

106 posts, read 344,893 times

Advertisements

What are your guyses thoughts about building a new Events Center in Sioux Falls. Even if you aren't from SF I would still really like to hear anyone's opinion. Here is my opinion:

- Do Not tear down Howard Wood Field, that would be a mess, and would end up costing the School District more than just repairing the current stadium. The Task Force says that it would be more financially stable if they were to move, but the School Board should re address the improvments, and look at different ways of improving the stadium before committing an amount of money.
- Build a New Arena Downtown, currently the Arena at Russell Street and West Avenue has an extremely small amount of businesses around it. Meaning that if people coming in from out of the city want to go someplace to eat after or before an event, they have limited choices without traveling more than 2-3 Miles. By building a new Arena Downtown, it would stimulate development in the inner core of the city. People coming in from town would feel more encouraged to spend at stores, restaurants, and other businesses Downtown, and Developers would see this as an opportunity. This would spark Office/Retail/and Residential Development downtown, therefore helping the inner core of the city with revitilization and could spark a higher demand for being in the center of the city. This would also increase tax revenue for the city because of the restaurant/store use increases.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 06:06 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,554,294 times
I would like to see this happen at any of the locations. Wife and I travel to SF a couple times a year for shopping or whatever out of north central Nebraska. Always liked SF and what it has to offer. I think a new event center would bring more to town for sure.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:13 PM

22 posts, read 153,347 times
I completely agree with you fsdflyer, it's unfortunate that a downtown Events Center doesn't seem likely at this point. They have the land available, and the only thing people can seem to come up with against a downtown location is that the traffic will be bad. 10th street and Minnesota ave could handle the traffic flow during the hours most events would be taking place. 6th street and phillips ave could get backed up, but if people are smart they'll park in one of the ramps nearby and walk a couple blocks.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:07 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,503,092 times
I picked by I-29 and I-90. That'd be the closest for me if they had any good concerts there.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,887,577 times
29 and 90 makes a lot of sense. Its an easy in and out get everyone from each direction.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,738,738 times
I'd like to see it any location. I-29 and I-229 might be too crowded and traffic could really back up there after events. I-90 and I-29 is kind of barren and a Civic Center could really spruce that area up. Plus there are some newer hotels out that-a-way and it would be nice for them too. Also, the city could maintain traffic much better.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:13 PM

106 posts, read 344,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skate342 View Post
I completely agree with you fsdflyer, it's unfortunate that a downtown Events Center doesn't seem likely at this point. They have the land available, and the only thing people can seem to come up with against a downtown location is that the traffic will be bad. 10th street and Minnesota ave could handle the traffic flow during the hours most events would be taking place. 6th street and phillips ave could get backed up, but if people are smart they'll park in one of the ramps nearby and walk a couple blocks.
Thank You! Yes, a majority of the parking would need to be in parking ramps. People bring up traffic as a concern, but what some people dont notice is that 10th Street (which turns into two one ways) is a 6 lane road. 3 Lanes West Bound to Minnesota (Definetly Could Handle)
And 3 Lanes Eastbound to Cliff Avenue (Also Could Handle).
The interstates where the EC could be are only 2 Lanes Each Direction (of course it could be widened) BUT take into consideration where are you getting the money from for widening the interstate to accomodate that traffic? And why would you pay for more roads especially if you already have the larger roads in the Downtown Area?

Old 12-09-2008, 10:27 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,937,336 times
I like the Arena choice and the Downtown options the best of all of them. Given the choice, I would choose the Arena with better interstate access and being next to the convention center and Canaries Stadium.

If the events center were to go where Howard Wood Field is now or downtown, the current Arena should be converted into additional convention center space for adjoining convention center. The current arean is a good enough building to where it should not be torn down but given a new lease on life.

Howard Wood field would be costly to fix and the money poured into making the necessary repairs would basically get the field updated, but is basically an old field. The field should be moved to the proposed sports complex area. The space would be good to expand the convention center in addition to turning the Arena into additional floor space or for an events center.

The option that may work for being right next to an interstate would be using the WH Lyon Fairgrounds, where the Sioux Empire Fair is held. Why not use the fairgrounds for year-round purposes. They have 12th St., which is a decent road and Madison, which could get widened to Kiwanis. This is in addition to I-29 which leads to other exits. This idea can work and utilizes exisiting infrastructure, but does not have as much for legs as the other two ideas.

The events center would also be good downtown to generate additional economic activity and to attract hotels, stores, restaurants, offices, and more uptown housing.

Both the Howard Wood and the downtown ideas are the best, because they utilize exisiting infrastructure and would save the City of Sioux Falls money money from that aspect (as opposed to extending utilities and putting in completely new roads, etc.). The city may have to upgrade existing infrastructure in spots, but would be less costly.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:43 AM

22 posts, read 153,347 times
At least discussion has shifted from should we have one? To where should it go?

After the Rec Center got shot down I thought it was over for the Events Center too, but it sounds like most of the city is in favor of building one somewhere.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,937,336 times
The challenge will be cost and to find a suitable location. The cost is a tough one and if one will be built, there has to be a strong case for one and a good way of financing it and to make it profitable. Both the Arena and downtown sites are worthy locations and have hotels nearby to accomodate vistors who stop and see events and attend conventions that may be held in the possible events center. It will be nice for concerts, semi-pro games, potential USD-SDSU matchups, or when USD or SDSU play big name teams. The events center would also host conventions and events such as circus shows, tournaments, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls